2023 Draft Prediction Thread

Let's talk Cincinnati Bengals football!
Joe Bananas

Re: 2023 Draft Prediction Thread

Post by Joe Bananas » Thu Apr 27, 2023 12:59 pm

Great job Cruiser! Man I've been swamped at work and home it's hard for me to take a minute to post anymore. Hopefully that slows down soon. Anyways. Here's mine

Trade. I see Gibbs or Murphy falling and a team taken advantage of that and trading with them. I see them ranking Chabornet with Gibbs, if not better. I see them ranking Keion White just as good or better than Murphy. And both can be had in the second rounds. But if not, then here’s my 7-rounder. So the question is, how do we beat the Chiefs and Bills over the next several years? More offense or more defense?

1. Brian Breese – DT, Clemson
I think he fits the bill on what this team is looking for. I.e, see Hendrickson, Hubbard and others

2. Zach Charbonet – RB – UCLA
Bengals have loved this kid for a long time. He’s there go to from here on out

3. Blake Freeland – OT – BYU
Instant RT. Between him and Zeus Jr, we have completed out bookends

4. Riley Moss – CB – Iowa
Will be a work in progress to get him a starter, but he has good size at 6’1 and 195 pounds. See description of Breeze with Moss – Hard-nosed, blue collar and smart.

5. Andrei Iosivas – WR – Princeton
This guy can actually play some ball

6. Brenton Cox Jr – DE/LB – Southeastern
This dude was kicked off the Gators and Bulldogs. Great size, 6’3 255.
Bengals take a chance on him

7. Payne Durham – TE – Purdue
Great size at 6’6’ 250 plus
I was crazy back when being crazy really meant something.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Thu Apr 27, 2023 1:28 pm

Jerry Springer died today. I don't know if that's an omen or what... :?

stripesincarolina

Post by stripesincarolina » Thu Apr 27, 2023 2:07 pm

CJ Stroud, just prior to the draft, commits the cardinal sin. He opens his mouth. "I'm not a test taker, I play football" was his response to his uber-low test scores.

Somewhere Kevin Costner has a piece of paper that says, avoid CJ Stroud, no matter what. :lol:
Seeking Superbowls

Joe Bananas

Post by Joe Bananas » Thu Apr 27, 2023 2:30 pm

stripesincarolina wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 2:07 pm
CJ Stroud, just prior to the draft, commits the cardinal sin. He opens his mouth. "I'm not a test taker, I play football" was his response to his uber-low test scores.

Somewhere Kevin Costner has a piece of paper that says, avoid CJ Stroud, no matter what. :lol:
Nice! Loved that movie!
I was crazy back when being crazy really meant something.

skycruiser

Post by skycruiser » Thu Apr 27, 2023 3:52 pm

stripesincarolina wrote:

I applaud him for that. This stuff is ridiculous.

Although I do think both stroud and Bryce will end up being flops

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:16 pm

skycruiser wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 3:52 pm
stripesincarolina wrote:

I applaud him for that. This stuff is ridiculous.

Although I do think both stroud and Bryce will end up being flops
I dunno'. Wasn't it Akili Smith who posted a 9...? :?

Jmble

Post by Jmble » Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:33 pm

There is a reason that they do those tests. Especially with Quarterbacks, most of the time good test scores will show how well a guy will be able to handle the position and learn the playbooks and so forth.

Having said that, a good score doesn't always mean the guy is going to succeed in the NFL and a bad score doesn't necessarily mean a guy is going to fail in the NFL.

I get why they do it, but I would never rule a guy out simply because of his test scores.

Exile

Post by Exile » Fri Apr 28, 2023 9:09 am

A test like that is just one piece of data. But above and beyond any test or 40 time or shuttle drill or measurement, it all comes back to film. Especially for guys that you’re seeing play against the best college teams week after week for a couple years. Stroud and Young both excelled on that stage. There aren’t any sure things when it comes to drafting QBs, but both of those guys are pretty good bets.

And apparently the Texans agreed with me. Here’s hoping Stroud does well and helps break the narrative around Buckeye QBs (I say helps because I think Fields could be in for a great season).