Free Agency 2023 Thread.

Let's talk Cincinnati Bengals football!
orange_black

Re: Free Agency 2023 Thread.

Post by orange_black » Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:59 am

Irv Smith on signing with the bengals:

Former #Vikings tight end Irv Smith on joining #Bengals: I feel like I'm almost the missing piece to get us that Super Bowl.

look, i know its still very early in Burrow's career... and he hasn't won a superbowl yet.

BUT.....

The culture around the Bengals right now reminds me of the peak days of the patriots with Brady. Remember when they were always signing the castoffs with high potential but some kind of problem history? (be it attitude or injury or whatever) This players would come in on a cheap contract and play their tails off for a shot at a trophy.

I feel like we are seeing something very similar to that happening right now with Burrow.

4256 Hits

Post by 4256 Hits » Wed Mar 29, 2023 3:17 pm

Bengals1 wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:44 am
Kelsey Conway @KelseyLConway
New on the Jonah Williams trade request:
The #Bengals didn’t communicate with Jonah before they were planning to sign Orlando Brown. He was blindsided. The team didn’t tell him ahead of time they were thinking of moving him to RT, a source close to the situation tells me.

I understand the team has no obligation to explain anything to Williams but at least this explains why he's so butthurt...
Being one of the worst starters at his position he should have been surprised if they didn't sign a new LT.

skycruiser

Post by skycruiser » Wed Mar 29, 2023 5:21 pm

Hearing the inside scoop no one knew this was going to happen until Browns agent called and asked if the bengals would be interested in signing him. Pollack never even watched him on film

Joe Bananas

Post by Joe Bananas » Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:26 pm

skycruiser wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 5:21 pm
Hearing the inside scoop no one knew this was going to happen until Browns agent called and asked if the bengals would be interested in signing him. Pollack never even watched him on film
That's interesting!
I was crazy back when being crazy really meant something.

4256 Hits

Post by 4256 Hits » Fri Mar 31, 2023 4:52 pm

Bengals sign free agent DL Tarell Basham

The Cincinnati Bengals have made an addition to the defensive line in free agency with Tarell Basham.

Basham, an Ohio University product and third-round pick by the Indianapolis Colts in 2017, has been with four different teams since entering the league.

Over six seasons, Basham has 11 sacks and five forced fumbles and projects to join the current Bengals line as a rotational player capable of bolstering the pass-rush.

Still just 29 years old, Basham won’t prevent the Bengals from adding further defensive linemen in the draft. But finding guys who can play the edge and potentially kick inside and provide a rush has been a priority.

Basham, alongside another free agent who signed elsewhere, visited the Bengals last week. His reps confirmed the move on social media:

skycruiser

Post by skycruiser » Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:19 pm

Nice! I remember talking about him with you guys during that draft because he has a killer football name

stripesincarolina

Post by stripesincarolina » Sat Apr 01, 2023 6:52 am

Well I'll be damned!! If this aint an unbelievable turn of events!!!

BREAKING NEWS: The Cincinnati Bengals are acquiring Defensive Tackle Aaron Donald from the Los Angeles Rams in exchange of Jonah Williams as well as their 2023 2nd and 5th round 2023 3rd round picks

Donald will be a great addition to an already stacked defensive line. #Bengals #Rams #NFL

Man its a good Dey!!! ;)
Seeking Superbowls

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:04 am

stripesincarolina wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 6:52 am

BREAKING NEWS: The Cincinnati Bengals are acquiring Defensive Tackle Aaron Donald from the Los Angeles Rams in exchange of Jonah Williams as well as their 2023 2nd and 5th round 2023 3rd round picks

Donald will be a great addition to an already stacked defensive line. #Bengals #Rams #NFL

Man its a good Dey!!! ;)
April Fools! 8-)

MeatHeadbengal

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:27 am

stripesincarolina wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 6:52 am

Man its a good Dey!!! ;)
One of the best attempts at an April Fools I've seen in a long while.

4256 Hits

Post by 4256 Hits » Sun Apr 02, 2023 8:31 am

When looking at the contract the Cincinnati Bengals gave tight end Irv Smith Jr., it was apparent the team got a great value deal with high upside and little risk.

Turns out it is the same story for cornerback Sidney Jones.

According to Aaron Wilson of KPRC 2 in Houston, Jones’ one-year deal is worth $1.08 million, which means the cap hit actually checks in at less than $1 million.

So for the Bengals, that’s two players at minimum salaries who could end up starting. Smith could be tight end No. 1 next season and Jones could easily start at corner across from Cam Taylor-Britt on the boundary if Chidobe Awuzie hasn’t completed his rehab.

Not bad value by any means for a Bengals team with needs to fill but a cap tightrope to navigate over the next few years.