Let's talk Cincinnati Bengals football!
skycruiser

Re: Free Agency 2023 Thread.

Post by skycruiser » Thu Mar 16, 2023 4:45 pm

eremy Fowler

@JFowlerESPN
·
6m
Guard Cody Ford is signing with the #Bengals, per source.

MeatHeadbengal

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Thu Mar 16, 2023 5:06 pm

Bengals1 wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 3:30 pm
MeatHeadbengal wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 2:22 pm
It could be this or they have a certain dollar amount they are comfortable with at TE and Hurst signed for more then that. Also they may see this draft class as a very deep class and think they can get quality TE replacements there keeping their spending low on that position. I don't know about you but I do feel that LT is more important then TE.
It doesn't have to be one or the other. Plenty of teams have both a quality LT and quality TE. (Chiefs anybody?)

How many years did we go without a pass catching TE...? Like 10-12...more?

The Brown philosophy is that certain positions like Guard, Safety and TE are simply not as important to winning as other positions. It's why they let Zietler go after his rookie contract despite the fact he was one of the top players in the league at his position. A mistake we're still paying for to this day.

They'll still probably sign a veteran Safety. No club that expects to compete for a Super Bowl wants a second year player with little playing time under his belt and a rookie as their two starting Safties. TE...? I have no idea what their thinking...
I understand what your saying however at the same time we have to recognize the reality that if you spend big $$$ on one position that means another position will have to be a rookie deal or something else to counter balance this. I'm not trying to nitpick but in your Chief's example LT and TE are big $$$ for them but how is their WR group looking? Also their RB position is lower rookie $$$ to counter balance their interior O-line.

I think this conversation will be interesting to go back to after the FA period gets more mature and more pieces fall into place.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:20 pm

skycruiser wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 4:45 pm
eremy Fowler

@JFowlerESPN
·
6m
Guard Cody Ford is signing with the #Bengals, per source.
The Bengals today signed free agent OT Cody Ford to a one-year contract for the 2023 season.

Ford, a fifth-year player out of the University of Oklahoma, originally was a second-round pick of the Buffalo Bills in 2019. He spent his first three seasons (2019-21) with Buffalo, then spent the '22 season with the Arizona Cardinals. He has played in 49 career regular-season games (32 starts), seeing action at ROT, RG and LG.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:25 pm

Mohammad Ahmad @MohammadAhmadTV
Just noticed the #Bengals listed Cody Ford as a tackle. Wonder if that speaks to where they stand with Jackass Cartman.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:31 pm

Brad Spielberger, Esq. @PFF_Brad
The Bengals and former Rams safety Nick Scott are working towards a deal following his visit. Not finalized, but progress being made, per sources.

Scott was a full-time starter in 2022 and earned a 77.0 run defense grade. Important potential addition after losing both safeties.

Jeremy Fowler @JFowlerESPN
Source confirms Bengals are 'working something up.'

Joe Bananas

Post by Joe Bananas » Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:51 pm

Jake Liscow
@JakeLiscow
Asked my guy
@QBsMVP
for Nick Scott scouting notes. Big takeaways from Sosa's mind:

Solid all around safety, aggressive, good special teamer, can lay a big hit, better playing downhill than full time free safety; thinks comparable quality to Vonn Bell
I was crazy back when being crazy really meant something.

4256 Hits

Post by 4256 Hits » Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:53 am

Bengals1 wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 3:30 pm
MeatHeadbengal wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 2:22 pm
It could be this or they have a certain dollar amount they are comfortable with at TE and Hurst signed for more then that. Also they may see this draft class as a very deep class and think they can get quality TE replacements there keeping their spending low on that position. I don't know about you but I do feel that LT is more important then TE.
It doesn't have to be one or the other. Plenty of teams have both a quality LT and quality TE. (Chiefs anybody?)

How many years did we go without a pass catching TE...? Like 10-12...more?

The Brown philosophy is that certain positions like Guard, Safety and TE are simply not as important to winning as other positions. It's why they let Zietler go after his rookie contract despite the fact he was one of the top players in the league at his position. A mistake we're still paying for to this day.

They'll still probably sign a veteran Safety. No club that expects to compete for a Super Bowl wants a second year player with little playing time under his belt and a rookie as their two starting Safties. TE...? I have no idea what their thinking...
They have spent a bunch of high picks on TE over last 15 years so hard to say don't value it. Just mostly suck at drafting the position.

Jmble

Post by Jmble » Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:42 am

Looks like Jonah Williams isn't happy about the possibility of moving to Right Guard

From Ian Rappaport
In the wake of the Orlando Brown signing, #Bengals OT Jonah Williams has requested a trade through his agent Ryan Tollner, sources say. Just 25 years old with 47 career starts at LT protecting Joe Burrow, Williams becomes the top tackle available if Cincy is willing to move on.

orange_black

Post by orange_black » Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:47 am

Jmble wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:42 am
Looks like Jonah Williams isn't happy about the possibility of moving to Right Guard

From Ian Rappaport
In the wake of the Orlando Brown signing, #Bengals OT Jonah Williams has requested a trade through his agent Ryan Tollner, sources say. Just 25 years old with 47 career starts at LT protecting Joe Burrow, Williams becomes the top tackle available if Cincy is willing to move on.
AWWW Jonah is all butt hurt.

im all for a trade... 12 mil is too much for his production.

MeatHeadbengal

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:48 am

Jmble wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:42 am

From Ian Rappaport
I have no issue with moving on from him but what is his value? A 2nd rounder?