Free Agency 2023 Thread.

Let's talk Cincinnati Bengals football!
MeatHeadbengal

Re: Free Agency 2023 Thread.

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:22 pm

stripesincarolina wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:52 pm
I was this excited about Collins too and came up with squat in the end. I'm cautiously optimistic but usually 4 time probowlers have a hard time coming up with 5,6 and 7 simply because of injury or they may be aging by then. Not discounting his first 4 probowls in the slightest. We just need him to get #5 and 6 right now.

Now please find a freaking Safety worth a damn. I can live with Mixon and a draft pick if I have to.
Brown is 26 years of age, he's in his prime. We legit have a franchise LT now.

As I've said before I believe this team has a plan we just need to take a chill pill and have faith in the process. Pratt and Brown I consider a win so far in even with our losses. I mean honestly we had to get some youth and rookie deals in somewhere to counter balance what's coming with Burrow, Higgins and Chase.

MeatHeadbengal

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:26 pm

Sources: Four-time Pro Bowl tackle and Super Bowl champ Orlando Brown Jr. is finalizing a four-year, $64.092 million front-loaded deal with the #Bengals that includes an over $31M signing bonus — largest ever for an o-lineman.
Forgive me if I've got a short memory but this doesn't sound to me like same ol' Bengals. Highest ever signing Bonus for an O-linemen?

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:43 pm

MeatHeadbengal wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:26 pm
Forgive me if I've got a short memory but this doesn't sound to me like same ol' Bengals. Highest ever signing Bonus for an O-linemen?
The Bengals have never valued certain positions like Safety or TE. They have however, always valued Left Tackles.

I'm thrilled with the signing of Brown but in a larger sense this off-season sounds exactly like the same ol' Bengals.

skycruiser

Post by skycruiser » Thu Mar 16, 2023 5:44 am

This doesn’t seem like real life. We just got a 4 time pro bowler in his prime. I have no words

Joe Bananas

Post by Joe Bananas » Thu Mar 16, 2023 7:09 am

skycruiser wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 5:44 am
This doesn’t seem like real life. We just got a 4 time pro bowler in his prime. I have no words
Agree
I was crazy back when being crazy really meant something.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:45 am

Jeremy Fowler @JFowlerESPN
Offensive guard Cody Ford is visiting the #Bengals for a free-agent visit, per source. He’ll be there today. Cincinnati still working on offensive line after Orlando Brown signing.

Bengals Hosting Free Agent Safety Nick Scott For Visit

Cincinnati needs a new starting safety.
RUSS HELTMAN

CINCINNATI — The Bengals are bringing in a potential new starter at safety for a visit.

Mike Garafolo reported that free agent Nick Scott is visiting the team on Thursday. Scott notched 86 tackles and 2 interceptions in 17 games (16 starts) with the Rams this past season.

He is PFF's 111th-ranked free agent and was graded 78th out of 88 safeties last season (54.2 grade). Fresh off his rookie deal, Scott shouldn't command a major payday and could be a nice veteran addition to complement Dax Hill.

The experience is a selling point. Scott's played in 75 regular season games since entering the league (68 starts).
Last edited by Bengals1 on Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:51 am, edited 3 times in total.

Joe the Sot

Post by Joe the Sot » Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:49 am

Wow, I am shocked enough to post in March.
I would agree that they seriously do appear to have a plan.
Personally I like that we always front load the contracts so as not to kick the problem down the road, but that being said with player power being as it is now they seem to only have to mutter they want a trade and it happens and I'm guessing that might leave us exposed in a couple of years when the big dollars have been grabbed so we may never benefit from the lower cap years.
I'm sure someone here can tell me I'm talking out of my rear but just a thought from my ignorance.
happy offseason everyone by the way :)

skycruiser

Post by skycruiser » Thu Mar 16, 2023 12:22 pm

It’s crazy I talked to my buddy last night who is part of the Brown family and he had no clue if they were planning anything in FA. He texted me later shocked by the Orlando brown signing. Awesome to see them spending big dollars on a top FA

MeatHeadbengal

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Thu Mar 16, 2023 2:22 pm

Bengals1 wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:43 pm
MeatHeadbengal wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:26 pm
The Bengals have never valued certain positions like Safety or TE. They have however, always valued Left Tackles.

I'm thrilled with the signing of Brown but in a larger sense this off-season sounds exactly like the same ol' Bengals.
It could be this or they have a certain dollar amount they are comfortable with at TE and Hurst signed for more then that. Also they may see this draft class as a very deep class and think they can get quality TE replacements there keeping their spending low on that position. I don't know about you but I do feel that LT is more important then TE.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Thu Mar 16, 2023 3:30 pm

MeatHeadbengal wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 2:22 pm
It could be this or they have a certain dollar amount they are comfortable with at TE and Hurst signed for more then that. Also they may see this draft class as a very deep class and think they can get quality TE replacements there keeping their spending low on that position. I don't know about you but I do feel that LT is more important then TE.
It doesn't have to be one or the other. Plenty of teams have both a quality LT and quality TE. (Chiefs anybody?)

How many years did we go without a pass catching TE...? Like 10-12...more?

The Brown philosophy is that certain positions like Guard, Safety and TE are simply not as important to winning as other positions. It's why they let Zietler go after his rookie contract despite the fact he was one of the top players in the league at his position. A mistake we're still paying for to this day.

They'll still probably sign a veteran Safety. No club that expects to compete for a Super Bowl wants a second year player with little playing time under his belt and a rookie as their two starting Safties. TE...? I have no idea what their thinking...