Re: Free Agency 2023 Thread.

Post by Zoo » Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:09 pm

stripesincarolina wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:10 pm
Bengals1 wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:15 pm
stripesincarolina wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:02 pm
So quiet.....I guess we're done til draft day.
You realize we currently have NO TEs under contract...?
Max Scharping? I hear he has some good hands. :shock:

Asiasi, Bowers, Hudson....I mean technically you have 3. They could be killers. I'm just sayin'.
With that being said. I'm really shocked we didn't bring Wilcox back. I think we actually released him. And that was knowing that Hurst and Sample were free agents. I mean there's one ball and you have Chase, Higgins, Boyd and Mixon all wanting it. How much value does a high profile pass catching TE have with this offense ?

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:21 pm

Zoo wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:09 pm
I'm really shocked we didn't bring Wilcox back. I think we actually released him. And that was knowing that Hurst and Sample were free agents. I mean there's one ball and you have Chase, Higgins, Boyd and Mixon all wanting it. How much value does a high profile pass catching TE have with this offense ?
Common sense tells you they're not going to go into the draft needing three Tight Ends. The most likely scenario is that when they realize nobodies going to offer them a huge new contract we'll sign one or two of the current FA Tight Ends and then go looking for a third in the draft.

I'm not violently opposed to drafting one in the 1st round if one of the top three were to fall. I just feel CB and DL are bigger area's of need. Especially with this being such a deep draft for TE's. We can easily get one in rounds 2-4.

I'm seeing predictions that as many as 5 Quarterbacks may get taken before we come up at 27. Therefor, realistically we're drafting at 22. Somebody nobody expects will drop. There's no excuse for us not to come out of this draft with a great player in the 1st round.

Jmble

Post by Jmble » Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:09 am

Top Tight Ends still available from PFF

1. Austin Hooper
2. Foster Moreau
3. Irv Smith Jr.
4. Marcedes Lewis

That's what is left in their 72 Best remaining free agents. It's also the only Tight Ends left in their Top 200 overall Free agents.

Irv Smith Jr feels like the eventual choice. He's only 24. He's had some injury issues. I still see us drafting a TE in the first or second round, and that would put Smith at second on the depth chart, assuming whoever we draft is ready to start. And if we take a Tight End that early, he better be ready to start.

I feel like if Joe Burrow would have campaigned at all for Foster Moreau we would have already signed him. He's tried to bring in everybody else he played with at LSU. Maybe Moreau was just asking for too much money? Who knows, but the fact that he left here without a deal makes me think he's not coming back.

skycruiser

Post by skycruiser » Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:27 am

Ian Rapoport
@RapSheet
·
1h
The #Bengals have had trade conversations centered around LT Jonah Williams, sources say, as the interest heats up in the player who has 47 career starts. Williams requested a trade following the signing of Orlando Brown, and Cincy has heard from several possible suitors.

Jmble

Post by Jmble » Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:13 pm

skycruiser wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:27 am
Ian Rapoport
@RapSheet
·
1h
The #Bengals have had trade conversations centered around LT Jonah Williams, sources say, as the interest heats up in the player who has 47 career starts. Williams requested a trade following the signing of Orlando Brown, and Cincy has heard from several possible suitors.
As they should. Trade him for whatever you can get. Take his money and try to bring in Isaiah Wynn or Taylor Lewan for a stop gap and draft a Tackle of the future in the first or second round depending on when you grab a Tight End.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:14 pm

Jmble wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:13 pm
skycruiser wrote:
Ian Rapoport
@RapSheet
·
1h
As they should. Trade him for whatever you can get. Take his money and try to bring in Isaiah Wynn or Taylor Lewan for a stop gap and draft a Tackle of the future in the first or second round depending on when you grab a Tight End.
I agree but as we approach the draft we're quickly moving away from BPA in almost any round.

If/when we trade Williams we'll be going into this draft needing a TE, OL, RB, CB and DL help. That's 5 positions out of a 7 round draft.

That's an awful lot of rookies expected to contribute next season already.

Jmble

Post by Jmble » Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:29 pm

Bengals1 wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:14 pm
Jmble wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:13 pm
skycruiser wrote:
Ian Rapoport
@RapSheet
·
1h
I agree but as we approach the draft we're quickly moving away from BPA in almost any round.

If/when we trade Williams we'll be going into this draft needing a TE, OL, RB, CB and DL help. That's 5 positions out of a 7 round draft.

That's an awful lot of rookies expected to contribute next season already.
If you bring in somebody like Wynn or Lewan with some of Jonah's money, you can still play BPA to an extent. I don't think you need a Tackle that can contribute right away from a starting position. If you Tackle of the future isn't available, you just get some depth and ride the free agent signing for this year. Come back to the draft again next year if necessary.

skycruiser

Post by skycruiser » Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:51 pm

we still do have collins under contract for what its worth

i bet we trade him for a 3rd or 4th rounder and then take the top RT available. what a dream scenario to have the entire OL rock solid coming into the year

still doesn't solve the TE dilemma. maybe they'll trade him for a vet TE?

stripesincarolina

Post by stripesincarolina » Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:58 pm

Jonah and Mixon to Atlanta for Kyle Pitts and a second round pick? Could be interesting!
Seeking Superbowls

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:50 pm

stripesincarolina wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:58 pm
Jonah and Mixon to Atlanta for Kyle Pitts and a second round pick? Could be interesting!
I'll have a shot of what he's drinking.