Draft Talk

Let's talk Cincinnati Bengals football!
Jmble

Re: Draft Talk

Post by Jmble » Tue Mar 07, 2023 3:30 pm

Todd McShay's new post Combine Draft is available on ESPN Plus.

It looks awfully similar to the one from the Atlhletic, though he has the Eagles trading all the way up to 10 for Bijan Robinson.

28. Cincinnati Bengals
Anton Harrison, OT, Oklahoma

The Bengals gave up 44 sacks in 2022, which tied for 20th in the NFL. They also ranked 30th in pass block win rate at a tick above 50%. As they get set to pay quarterback Joe Burrow on a big extension, they might want to do something about reducing the hits on him. Plus, La'el Collins is returning from a torn ACL, and Jonah Williams missed time during the playoffs with a dislocated kneecap, so depth is important. Harrison is tough to shake once he's locked on in pass protection, and he allowed just two sacks over 34 games at Oklahoma (24 starts).

4256 Hits

Post by 4256 Hits » Tue Mar 07, 2023 5:48 pm

Joe Bananas wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:50 am
TE, CB, DB or RB in first round.
I do not want them to take a RB in first round. A pass first offense has bigger needs. I could see a DT in 1st round and be happy with that.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Tue Mar 07, 2023 6:37 pm

I have no doubt the Bengals will add another O-linemen either via Free Agency or the draft. They realize how important depth is at that position.

But with injuries being the main issue at the end of last season, not necessarily poor talent, I don't see them making it a priority.

DT, CB are a much greater need entering the 2023 season and I expect those will be their main targets in the draft.

They may sign a 2nd week veteran O-linemen in FA. Or draft someone in the 3rd or later rounds to provide insurance and depth. But in the 1st round...?

I just don't see it...

Joe Bananas

Post by Joe Bananas » Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:53 pm

But is there anyone better than what we have?

Harrison?
Harrison’s ability to hold up to power rushes is borderline unplayable by NFL standards based on his 2022 tape. He’ll be in a quarterback’s lap every play. The good news is that we already saw a stark improvement from 2021 to 2022, and he’s on the record saying he’s working on it.
I mean don't we have that in Jonah now? And honestly, Collins was better but not alot.

Paris Johnson?
Is he better than Jonah and Collins? I dunno. He may not be there at 28 either

Broderick Jones?
Some are already saying he may get moved inside.

Dawand Jones?
I like him. But 2 things? Is 28 to high for him? Is he too big? Meaning, can he handle the pass rushers? Quick? Dunno

There is some good players in later rounds but honestly there isn't much to pick from at 28 with it comes to oline. Unless it's 2 to 3 guys.
I was crazy back when being crazy really meant something.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:16 pm

Interesting, if accurate...

Ian Rapoport @RapSheet
Major draft shakeup 🚨 🚨 🚨

Sources say the #Bears are trading the No. 1 overall pick to the #Panthers in exchange for big-time compensation including multiple 1st rounders. Chicago loads up and lands at No. 9, while Carolina can draft its QB of the future.

Joe Bananas

Post by Joe Bananas » Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:00 pm

Bengals1 wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:16 pm

Ian Rapoport @RapSheet

Sources say the #Bears are trading the No. 1 overall pick to the #Panthers in exchange for big-time compensation including multiple 1st rounders. Chicago loads up and lands at No. 9, while Carolina can draft its QB of the future.
Wonder what Qb it'll be. Of it were me it be Stroud. I don't like Youngs height. But you never know. And not sure about Richardson. Stroud is ready now
I was crazy back when being crazy really meant something.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:53 am

Bengals1 wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:16 pm

Ian Rapoport @RapSheet

And so it came to pass....

Panthers trade up to first overall pick, Bears get two firsts, two seconds, D.J. Moore
Posted by Michael David Smith on March 10, 2023, 5:32 PM EST

The first overall pick in the 2023 NFL draft has been traded.

In a blockbuster trade that came down Friday afternoon, the Panthers moved up with the Bears and acquired the first overall pick in the draft.

The Bears are getting the No. 9 overall pick and No. 61 overall pick in this year’s draft from Carolina, as well as wide receiver D.J. Moore, the Panthers’ 2024 first-round pick, and the Panthers’ 2025 second-round pick.

Obviously, the Panthers have their mind made up on one franchise quarterback in this year’s draft, and the only way to get that quarterback is to move up to No. 1.

It’s not clear right now who that quarterback is, but Alabama’s Bryce Young is widely regarded as the top pick in this year’s draft. Ohio State’s C.J. Stroud, Florida’s Anthony Richardson and Kentucky’s Will Levis are all viewed as top prospects as well, but likely not quarterbacks the Panthers would move up to No. 1 for at this stage in the game.

The Bears are totally committed to Justin Fields as their franchise quarterback, and now they’ll stockpile the roster with players to put around Fields.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:11 am

Field Yates @FieldYates
1 month until the NFL Draft:
▫️Most picks: Texans/Raiders (12)
▫️Fewest picks: Dolphins (4)
▫️Multiple firsts: Texans, Seahawks, Lions, Eagles
▫️No first: Browns, Broncos, Rams, 49ers, Dolphins
▫️Most top 100 picks: Lions, Seahawks, Texans (5)
▫️Fewest Top 100 picks: 49ers (1)

Jmble

Post by Jmble » Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:50 am

The new Mock Draft from The Athletic came out today and is sure to raise an eyebrow. I'll just post the Bengals pick for now.
28. Cincinnati Bengals: Bijan Robinson, RB, Texas
Robinson is the most talented offensive skill player in this draft, and adding him to the collection of talent around Joe Burrow feels unfair. Samaje Perine is already gone as the third-down back, and with Joe Mixon effectively in the final year of his contract, it seems doubtful that he’ll be extended as Burrow’s extension talks loom large. Bringing in Robinson would give Cincinnati an every-down option in the mold of Christian McCaffrey, and with defenses forcing the Bengals to run the ball and throw it short more often, he could punish any light box or soft zone opponents throw at him.
This is one of those picks that I don't want to do because there are so many other ways we can better this team, but if they did do it, it would be pretty exciting to see.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Fri Apr 07, 2023 1:37 pm

The first batch of mock drafts that came out right after the Super Bowl had us going defense like 80-20. A few had us taking a TE but the majority had us taking a CB or DE.

Now the consensus has flipped entirely. It now looks like its 80-20 for an offensive player. TE or RB seem to be dominating the current mock drafts. OL is also creeping up in several mocks I follow.

What's the boards feelings about us taking an offensive player in the 1st? I can see TE or OL (probably a RT) however RB seems a tad unlikely to me especially with Mixon still under contract.

Thoughts...?