Let's talk Cincinnati Bengals football!
Bengals1

Re: 2023 Off-season thread

Post by Bengals1 » Wed Mar 01, 2023 11:40 am

Joe Bananas wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:41 am
4256 Hits wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:08 pm
I would only want him if it is a low base contract and bonuses for playing time. Not sure he can stay healthy to help the team.
Yeah. Basically if he comes cheap and if he's a true upgrade over Jonah then yes.
Left you something in the off topic thread Joseph...

4256 Hits

Post by 4256 Hits » Thu Mar 02, 2023 7:28 am

He is gone.

Bengals make telling comments about Joe Mixon at scouting combine
Chris Roling
Tue, Feb 28, 2023, 8:16 PM EST2 min read

Cincinnati Bengals brass at the scouting combine were very adamant about the future of Tee Higgins with the team.

On the subject of running back Joe Mixon…not so much.

Mixon is a top question mark for the team this offseason and therefore a major cut candidate for various reasons.

How the team actually handles the situation is impossible to say as of now, which director of player personnel Duke Tobin summed up well during his combine press conference.

“Joe has been a vital part of our team,” Tobin said. “He’s been a successful part of our team. Again, I’m not gonna predict the offseason because I don’t have the answers. In the words of the great Kevin Malone, ‘I don’t know.'”

Tobin going this far is actually out of the ordinary for him. The certainty on Higgins and exact opposite on Mixon is pretty telling about all options being on the table.

Were the Bengals to cut Mixon with a post-June 1 designation it would save them roughly $10 million. His bloated contract for the position and diminishing role on the offense due to struggles in pass protection make a cut seem like the main viable option.

Head coach Zac Taylor said it’s hard to predict what will happen, but offered high praise: “I think he’s given us great juice. He’s been a really good weapon for us and was voted a captain this year by the team.”

There’s still the possibility of a restructuring that lessens Mixon’s cap hit and lets him stay for 2023, but either way it seems clear the team knows it has to figure something out.

MeatHeadbengal

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Thu Mar 02, 2023 9:03 am

4256 Hits wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2023 7:28 am
He is gone.

Bengals make telling comments about Joe Mixon at scouting combine
Chris Roling
Tue, Feb 28, 2023, 8:16 PM EST2 min read

Cincinnati Bengals brass at the scouting combine were very adamant about the future of Tee Higgins with the team.

On the subject of running back Joe Mixon…not so much.

Mixon is a top question mark for the team this offseason and therefore a major cut candidate for various reasons.

How the team actually handles the situation is impossible to say as of now, which director of player personnel Duke Tobin summed up well during his combine press conference.

“Joe has been a vital part of our team,” Tobin said. “He’s been a successful part of our team. Again, I’m not gonna predict the offseason because I don’t have the answers. In the words of the great Kevin Malone, ‘I don’t know.'”

Tobin going this far is actually out of the ordinary for him. The certainty on Higgins and exact opposite on Mixon is pretty telling about all options being on the table.

Were the Bengals to cut Mixon with a post-June 1 designation it would save them roughly $10 million. His bloated contract for the position and diminishing role on the offense due to struggles in pass protection make a cut seem like the main viable option.

Head coach Zac Taylor said it’s hard to predict what will happen, but offered high praise: “I think he’s given us great juice. He’s been a really good weapon for us and was voted a captain this year by the team.”

There’s still the possibility of a restructuring that lessens Mixon’s cap hit and lets him stay for 2023, but either way it seems clear the team knows it has to figure something out.
What this sounds like to me is, Joe you need to restructure your contract or your out and we're saving money. This is 100% up to Joe and his camp to get this done or he's gone.

Personally I think we should be looking for speed speed speed, someone like Gibbs out of AL. This will be the first and last time I ever suggest an AL player.

4256 Hits

Post by 4256 Hits » Thu Mar 02, 2023 2:00 pm

MeatHeadbengal wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2023 9:03 am

Personally I think we should be looking for speed speed speed, someone like Gibbs out of AL. This will be the first and last time I ever suggest an AL player.
Good call nobody would wants to get confused with being Mag. :D

Joe Bananas

Post by Joe Bananas » Sat Mar 04, 2023 12:03 pm

Looks more and more like, from what I read that Bates (obviously), and Pratt are pretty much gone. Bell is "ify". I mean if that's the case then oh well. I don't like it. I really wanted to keep Pratt, like alot. I don't think there's anyway we can keep Bates unless he agrees to a very low ball offer - which he won't. But i do not wanna lose both Bates and Bell. I mean gee whiz can we atleast keep Bell??
I was crazy back when being crazy really meant something.

MeatHeadbengal

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Sat Mar 04, 2023 12:09 pm

Joe Bananas wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 12:03 pm
Looks more and more like, from what I read that Bates (obviously), and Pratt are pretty much gone. Bell is "ify". I mean if that's the case then oh well. I don't like it. I really wanted to keep Pratt, like alot. I don't think there's anyway we can keep Bates unless he agrees to a very low ball offer - which he won't. But i do not wanna lose both Bates and Bell. I mean gee whiz can we atleast keep Bell??
I was talking with former Bengal Rashad Jeanty the other day, (cool story bro) but he thinks we'll spend for 1 of two either Pratt or Bates and it's all going to depend on what Bell does. If Bell signs somewhere else we'll go on in on Bates, but if he signs here we'll go in on Pratt.

Joe Bananas

Post by Joe Bananas » Sat Mar 04, 2023 4:01 pm

MeatHeadbengal wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 12:09 pm
Joe Bananas wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 12:03 pm
I was talking with former Bengal Rashad Jeanty the other day, (cool story bro) but he thinks we'll spend for 1 of two either Pratt or Bates and it's all going to depend on what Bell does. If Bell signs somewhere else we'll go on in on Bates, but if he signs here we'll go in on Pratt.
Could we tag Pratt? Or do you think we will use the tag on anyone?

Jmble

Post by Jmble » Sat Mar 04, 2023 5:07 pm

According to over the cap, 2023 amounts for tagging a Llinebacker will be almost 21 mil. I don’t see any world that someone give Pratt 21 mil.

Sportrac has his market value at under 11 mil per year.

Joe Bananas

Post by Joe Bananas » Sat Mar 04, 2023 10:52 pm

Jmble wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 5:07 pm
According to over the cap, 2023 amounts for tagging a Llinebacker will be almost 21 mil. I don’t see any world that someone give Pratt 21 mil.

Yeah. I want Pratt back but not for 21M.

Jmble, Do you think we'll use the franchise tag on anyone?

Jmble

Post by Jmble » Sat Mar 04, 2023 11:09 pm

Joe Bananas wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 10:52 pm
Jmble wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 5:07 pm

Yeah. I want Pratt back but not for 21M.

Jmble, Do you think we'll use the franchise tag on anyone?
I really don’t. If I was taking long odds, I might say Vonn Bell, but I really doubt it. Bates is the only free agent we have that is truly worth the tag value, and that’s not going to happen again.