O-Line Play

Let's talk Cincinnati Bengals football!
MeatHeadbengal

O-Line Play

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Mon Jan 23, 2023 3:46 pm

So there's been some questions being asked about Carman and I'll try to post some videos that I find with some quick explanations along with them.

So this was the first play I found that's a really great example of 2 positives and a huge negative.

1.) His overall athleticism to get out on the edge at this size is amazing.
2.) He just literally mauls this guy, and that's one of Buffalo's better LB's.

The negative is his hand placement. Notice how he just kinda hugs him instead of going out and punching him in the chest. I feel like if he punched the dude in the chest the LB would be thrown into the sidelines.

https://twitter.com/CoachMinich/status/ ... 3748884480

MeatHeadbengal

Re: O-Line Play

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Mon Jan 23, 2023 3:48 pm

Here's another good example of the finish, watch him literally just throw the dude.

https://twitter.com/bengals_sans/status ... 8165750804

MeatHeadbengal

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:07 pm

It might be easier with this video

https://youtu.be/BDPOZjNE8iI

Starting at the :30 mark Carman does a really good blitz pickup, the one I spoke about in a previous post, it looks like it's a slide protection so he slides to the inside then is quick enough to kick back out and get enough of the blitzer to throw him by Joe.

:56 mark he shows a really powerful hip throw. This is surprisingly harder then it looks and he gets his hand on the shoulder and pushes the DE right out of the play.

1:09 on this play I'd like to see him stick that arm a little longer, the DE is able to get back into the play.

1:18, is a great example of very good hand placement. Gets right into the DE's chest and really stones his rush, after that all he has to do is punch and replace and he's won the rep.

1:30, This play he slides down too far, and then has a harder time recovering back out for the twist, but also his hand placement is horrible. Don't hug the guy punch the guy.

1:50 he does a really good job of kicking for depth and width and a good heavy punch to the inside to help Volson, but isn't in a good enough position to land a solid punch on the DE and his head and shoulders dip. This could have been bad if the DE was trying a swim.

4:45 this play shows me more then enough to know where his heads at. Quick set, quick throw but he's moving to get down field to find another block. That's the kind of effort that breaks big plays, this is a really good sign.

5:01 Really bad hand placement and allows the DE to get his chest. You just can't do this.

6:15, really good example of great hand placement and punch, Stones the dude and the DE has nothing after Carman's punch.

6:25, bad timed punch and hand placement allows the DE to swim him, glad Burrow stepped up and ran.

8:15 shows that he can change direction pretty good, following his guy cause the Bill's messed up their twist, he doesn't bring his feet with him as much as an O-line coach would like but enough to get the job done.

9:40 mark, goal line. The coaching staff had enough confidence in him to run behind him and Volson. Both two are road graders man, watch Volson just walk his guy back. What a steal we got with this kid.
Last edited by MeatHeadbengal on Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:19 pm

Good stuff, thanks for posting.

MeatHeadbengal

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:29 pm

Bengals1 wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:19 pm
Good stuff, thanks for posting.
Sorry I clicked post before I was actually done. I added a few more comments, but we can all see with our own eyes there's talent there the big question is how will he do against the Watt's and Bosa's of the NFL. We'll see.

MeatHeadbengal

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:30 pm

Here's the over head view of that hip throw. I mean this is some serious strength. I'm sorry I'm just very impressed with how Carman played. I'll add he graded out in the mid to high 70's the highest on the team Sunday at pass pro.

https://twitter.com/JoeGoodberry/status ... 1701882883

Exile

Post by Exile » Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:11 pm

It was definitely a concern going in and a very pleasant surprise how well he played. Thanks for the breakdowns, meat!

Two questions: is it a concern that even after 2 years with the team, his hand technique is so bad? It's great that he's strong and fast, but is this an indication that he's a slow learner? Or is this genuinely hard to learn or change your technique?

Second, that athleticism, do you think that tackle might be a more natural position for him to take advantage of that?

MeatHeadbengal

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:17 pm

Exile wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:11 pm
It was definitely a concern going in and a very pleasant surprise how well he played. Thanks for the breakdowns, meat!

Two questions: is it a concern that even after 2 years with the team, his hand technique is so bad? It's great that he's strong and fast, but is this an indication that he's a slow learner? Or is this genuinely hard to learn or change your technique?

Second, that athleticism, do you think that tackle might be a more natural position for him to take advantage of that?
So hand placement isn't easy, it's like most things with reps it can be taught. Yes it's very difficult to change your technique, imagine trying to change your golf swing, it's probably just as hard. I would be more concerned if he was being worked at Tackle the entire time but hasn't been. I believe he is a slow learner however, how slow I'm not sure but if that light bulb goes off it goes off and he could be pretty good. I'd like to point out his PF grade I saw on twatter.
🐅 76.0 PFF Pass Block Grade (Team High)
🐅 0 Sacks Allowed
🐅 Only 1 QB hit and 3 Pressures Allowed

skycruiser

Post by skycruiser » Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:03 pm

Good stuff meat. His performance is quite possibly the most unexpected player of the game outings in many years. Would love to see him continue and win the starting LT role

4256 Hits

Post by 4256 Hits » Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:15 pm

I am not ready to get too excited about his play as Bills DL is not very good. I hope he can repeat this week and start to convince me that he should no longer be called Jackass Carmen as B1 has dubbed him.