Official Week 8 Bengals vs Browns MNF Thread.

Let's talk Cincinnati Bengals football!
orange_black

Re: Official Week 8 Bengals vs Browns MNF Thread.

Post by orange_black » Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:24 am

MeatHeadbengal wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 8:42 am
You can sit there and blame Zach all you want but bad coaches don't get teams to Super Bowls.
i've been saying it for 2 years now.... "winning despite Zach Taylor"

MeatHeadbengal

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:40 am

orange_black wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:24 am
MeatHeadbengal wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 8:42 am
You can sit there and blame Zach all you want but bad coaches don't get teams to Super Bowls.
i've been saying it for 2 years now.... "winning despite Zach Taylor"
Sorry I don't agree, we didn't get to the Super Bowl "despite Zach".

Exile

Post by Exile » Tue Nov 01, 2022 11:03 am

I’d put it a different way: we got to the Super Bowl despite Zac’s flaws. I don’t think he’s a terrible coach. I think there are some things he does incredibly well and those things helped get us to a Super Bowl. Just like the rest of us, he’s got strengths and weaknesses. And I think some of those weaknesses are in the area of being an offensive coordinator, a job which he never held in the pros, and had limited experience at in the college ranks. I think he’s done some good things in that area, starting with building the passing game around Joe’s strengths, but I’m pretty skeptical about how he builds an offense more generally and how he puts together and calls a game.

Could he get better? Of course. And he might. I’m not in the fire Zac camp yet, but I do think he has some glaring weaknesses.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Tue Nov 01, 2022 11:54 am

I tuned out at half-time and never looked back, not even a peek. I didn't see the final humiliating score till later last night.

Despite all the "progress" this organization has made, the ring of honor, the new uniforms, the indoor practice facility even the drafting of Joe Burrow, they remain the same fragile team they've been since their inception.

An important player gets injured. Do they redouble their effort and play harder? No, they crawl into a shell and hide. An important game against a divisional foe in prime time. Do they come out fired up and ready to kick ass and take names? No, they come out and stumble and bumble all over the field and look like a deer in the headlights.

When Marvin Lewis was coaching you could always count on at least twice a season the Bungles would show up (usually against an inferior team with a losing record) and look like a Chinese fire drill. Opposing players running free down field. Running backs that averaged 1.5 yards a carry suddenly having a 135 yard game and some perennial back up QB having a career day.

I hoped those days were gone with Lewis and his silly seasonal sayings (remember Just Keep Digging...?). But no, it's not a Marvin or a Mike Brown thing. It's a Bengal thing....period.

I honestly doubt they'll ever change. Ever.

MeatHeadbengal

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Tue Nov 01, 2022 11:55 am

Exile wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 11:03 am
I’d put it a different way: we got to the Super Bowl despite Zac’s flaws. I don’t think he’s a terrible coach. I think there are some things he does incredibly well and those things helped get us to a Super Bowl. Just like the rest of us, he’s got strengths and weaknesses. And I think some of those weaknesses are in the area of being an offensive coordinator, a job which he never held in the pros, and had limited experience at in the college ranks. I think he’s done some good things in that area, starting with building the passing game around Joe’s strengths, but I’m pretty skeptical about how he builds an offense more generally and how he puts together and calls a game.

Could he get better? Of course. And he might. I’m not in the fire Zac camp yet, but I do think he has some glaring weaknesses.
It's funny I sat around a poker table this weekend with a bunch of old guys. A Packers fan, Browns fan, Giants fan, Cowgirls fan, 9er's fan do you wanna know what they all said that was in common? They all complained about their teams and the play calling. I just laughed, everyone complains about the same things cause their easy to complain about. Is Zach perfect no, every coach has issues but we didn't get to the super bowl last year despite of Zach.

Exile

Post by Exile » Tue Nov 01, 2022 2:24 pm

MeatHeadbengal wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 11:55 am
Exile wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 11:03 am

It's funny I sat around a poker table this weekend with a bunch of old guys. A Packers fan, Browns fan, Giants fan, Cowgirls fan, 9er's fan do you wanna know what they all said that was in common? They all complained about their teams and the play calling. I just laughed, everyone complains about the same things cause their easy to complain about. Is Zach perfect no, every coach has issues but we didn't get to the super bowl last year despite of Zach.
I hear ya Meat. We’re all armchair OCs who think we know better than the pros.

But for me the problem with Zac isn’t specifically the play calling. Just look at the offense we had at the beginning of the season. It was a shotgun spread passing game married awkwardly to a McVay wide zone under center run game. And when we were in the gun we were throwing almost 90% off the time and when we were under center we were running it almost 90% of the time. And Burrow seemed uncomfortable running PA out of that when he did. Now turn your eyes up I-71 for a second and look how Ryan Day creates an offense. Like Taylor, he builds his passing game around what his QB does well and what he’s comfortable with. But unlike Zac, everything else is built around that so that runs and play action all come out of the same looks, so that the defense has a harder time reading tendencies. College isn’t the pros, they’re each facing different challenges and work in different environments. But still. My point is that it seems like either there’s not a clear vision for the offense or they’re trying to do too many different things. At least that’s how it looks from my armchair.

orange_black

Post by orange_black » Tue Nov 01, 2022 2:29 pm

last night my wife and i were watching the game... and at one point i said "they're gonna run the ball"... and they did... and got stuffed.... my wife turns to me and said, "how did you know that?"

I said it's easy.... anytime Burrow is under center, its a run. literally.

Exile

Post by Exile » Tue Nov 01, 2022 2:42 pm

orange_black wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 2:29 pm
last night my wife and i were watching the game... and at one point i said "they're gonna run the ball"... and they did... and got stuffed.... my wife turns to me and said, "how did you know that?"

Probably the exact same time I turned to my father in law and said “they’re going to run it.” 😂

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Tue Nov 01, 2022 4:53 pm

Exile wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 2:42 pm
orange_black wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 2:29 pm

Probably the exact same time I turned to my father in law and said “they’re going to run it.” 😂
I still blame you for a last night.... :evil:

Joe Bananas

Post by Joe Bananas » Wed Nov 02, 2022 4:32 pm

Taylor said in his press conference today that Rb Evans has a role on this team but we're not going to be seeing alot of him....

:shock: :lol: :?
I was crazy back when being crazy really meant something.