2022 Preseason Week 2 - Giants

Let's talk Cincinnati Bengals football!
Mag

Re: 2022 Preseason Week 2 - Giants

Post by Mag » Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:34 am

Solid performance from the OL. Volson looked decent. Still makes rookie mistakes, but shows the game is not too big for him. Whoever is the LG will likely be the worst OL. If it's Volson, we'll be fine. Aside from a little rust in the first series, considering having to change positions again, Adeniji played well. Went against a very athletic top ten pick in KT most of the first half and really only had one bad rep early. This was the Adeniji I saw this off season, and I'm glad he finally showed up in front of fans. Hill even had a solid performance at C, though I didn't watch him a whole lot. Smith was actually better than I expected coming off injury, and knowing certain things regarding his current limitations.

Our secondary and LB depth looks decent. Dax seems to be as advertised. Would love to see a bunch of three S packages with him, Bates, and Bell at the same time. George and Davis looked decent at CB. If one had to come off the bench at some point, I feel a bit better about that.

DL did OK, but I'd like to see more push from them.

We definitely need an upgrade at backup QB. If Burrow goes down, we're screwed. No hope.

stripesincarolina

Post by stripesincarolina » Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:09 am

Mag wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:34 am
Solid performance from the OL. Volson looked decent. Still makes rookie mistakes, but shows the game is not too big for him. Whoever is the LG will likely be the worst OL. If it's Volson, we'll be fine. Aside from a little rust in the first series, considering having to change positions again, Adeniji played well. Went against a very athletic top ten pick in KT most of the first half and really only had one bad rep early. This was the Adeniji I saw this off season, and I'm glad he finally showed up in front of fans. Hill even had a solid performance at C, though I didn't watch him a whole lot. Smith was actually better than I expected coming off injury, and knowing certain things regarding his current limitations.

Our secondary and LB depth looks decent. Dax seems to be as advertised. Would love to see a bunch of three S packages with him, Bates, and Bell at the same time. George and Davis looked decent at CB. If one had to come off the bench at some point, I feel a bit better about that.

DL did OK, but I'd like to see more push from them.

We definitely need an upgrade at backup QB. If Burrow goes down, we're screwed. No hope.
I agree with all of your points except Allen. And if thats all we're debating this morning then we look pretty good overall.

I thought Allen played fairly decent. Burrow took most of his reps this week so Allen was understandably a little light on practice. But the plays I watched he seemed like he was moving in the pocket pretty well and made some nice completions in some tight spaces.

Brandon knows the system so well I just cant see them spending any significant cap space on a more veteran QB clipboard holder. Incrementally it just wont get you much, and behind our starting Oline with all our weapons at his disposal, Allen may be just fine.....for a backup.
Seeking Superbowls

MeatHeadbengal

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Mon Aug 22, 2022 12:40 pm

So I sat down this morning after getting a few things done at work and ran thru the first half with the O-line and graded the guys the way I used to then I coached. I'd like to start out by saying I saw a lot of horrible hand placement specifically from Lamont Gaillard, he was constantly up in the shoulders and just missing. I'd also like to say that 2 of the holding calls they called on Smith I think were horse shit, the first one was legit the other 2 very questionable, at least from the view I had. I also watched the play where both guards pulled into each other and it looks like Volson was in the wrong, but it's hard to tell the left side was blocking like it was a trap to the right and the entire right side including center was blocking like it was a trap to the left. With that being said we only ran 24 offensive plays in the first half which is not nearly enough.

Grades;
#77 18+/24 75%
#67 19+/24 79%
#63 15+/24 63%
#61 14+/24 58%
#70 17+/24 71% 3 holding penalties.

I though Volson did pretty well against the Giant's 1's. He had good hand placement and a good base. He recovered well on a few cases, but over set a couple times, one being on the 3rd down that led to a sack. He set too far inside and wasn't able to kick back out to pick up the blitzing DB. Other then that I thought he played solid enough to be a starter.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Mon Aug 22, 2022 2:10 pm

Charlie Goldsmith @CharlieG__
A few notes from a Bengals rewatch...

— That 4th down tackle by Joseph Ossai was massive for him. That edge setting will get him more snaps.

— Cam Sample and Zach Carter combined on some really nice twists early in the game. Sample’s role and versatility is something they count on.

- My top ways to judge OL are how many times do they lose their guy/turn their back, and how many times do they end up on the ground.

- LG Cordell Volson passed both tests very well. He wasn’t incredibly powerful in the run game and had a few minus plays, but he was very solid.

— They dropped back Zach Carter into zone coverage again, which is neat.

— Who is TE 2 right now with Sample and Wilcox out?

— It feels like Trent Taylor has wrapped up WR6.

— Same with Clay Johnston and LB5. He’s physical, great against the run and clearly has strong instincts.

- On Chris Evans’ massive kick returner, Zac Taylor said he was most impressed with the incredible block by Mike Thomas.

MeatHeadbengal

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Mon Aug 22, 2022 4:44 pm

From Twitter so take with a grain of salt
Willie Lutz
@willie_lutz
·
4h
Kind of shocked by the PFF grading for Cordell Volson against the Giants.

26.5 PFF Pass Blocking
13.2 Pass Blocking in True Pass Sets
69.4 PFF Run Blocking

Volson credited with 3 pressures, 2 hurries, 1 sack, and 1 penalty.
Personally I don't believe this but I only graded the first half, where I thought Volson did just fine.

Mag

Post by Mag » Tue Aug 23, 2022 8:32 am

MeatHeadbengal wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 12:40 pm
So I sat down this morning after getting a few things done at work and ran thru the first half with the O-line and graded the guys the way I used to then I coached. I'd like to start out by saying I saw a lot of horrible hand placement specifically from Lamont Gaillard, he was constantly up in the shoulders and just missing. I'd also like to say that 2 of the holding calls they called on Smith I think were horse shit, the first one was legit the other 2 very questionable, at least from the view I had. I also watched the play where both guards pulled into each other and it looks like Volson was in the wrong, but it's hard to tell the left side was blocking like it was a trap to the right and the entire right side including center was blocking like it was a trap to the left. With that being said we only ran 24 offensive plays in the first half which is not nearly enough.

Grades;
#77 18+/24 75%
#67 19+/24 79%
#63 15+/24 63%
#61 14+/24 58%

I though Volson did pretty well against the Giant's 1's. He had good hand placement and a good base. He recovered well on a few cases, but over set a couple times, one being on the 3rd down that led to a sack. He set too far inside and wasn't able to kick back out to pick up the blitzing DB. Other then that I thought he played solid enough to be a starter.
Your system is probably more accurate than PFF.

I was texting Manyweather during the game regarding mostly Adeniji. His issues seemed minor and easy to clean up. Mainly needs to work on his set points. Spending more time at OT will help. He's bounced between OT and G too much to dial in technique. The athleticism and strength is there. If he continues to improve, which I believe he will, he should solidify depth at OT. Smith even had a solid game in spite of some of his limitations.

MeatHeadbengal

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:38 am

Mag wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 8:32 am
MeatHeadbengal wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 12:40 pm

Grades;
#77 18+/24 75%
#67 19+/24 79%
#63 15+/24 63%
#61 14+/24 58%

Your system is probably more accurate than PFF.

I was texting Manyweather during the game regarding mostly Adeniji. His issues seemed minor and easy to clean up. Mainly needs to work on his set points. Spending more time at OT will help. He's bounced between OT and G too much to dial in technique. The athleticism and strength is there. If he continues to improve, which I believe he will, he should solidify depth at OT. Smith even had a solid game in spite of some of his limitations.
Yeah that's what I saw with Adeniji too, he was getting beat around the edge late which usually means hands or set.

I thought Smith had good sets but you could see where his strength and punch was the issue with him.