Official 2022 Draft Day 2

Let's talk Cincinnati Bengals football!
Mag

Re: Official 2022 Draft Day 2

Post by Mag » Sun May 01, 2022 7:53 am

Overall, I like the first 3 picks all 3 should get significant snaps early. Volson was an iffy pick. A limited player from a small school. I would've felt better taking Kinnard (even with his injury), Salyer (not sure why he fell), or Michigan's Stuber. The second safety has good speed, but there are interesting value guys like Kingsley Enegbare Edge SC and Darrian Beavers OLB UC or a WR with return ability in Bo Melton of Rutgers.

Of course I don't spend the time on this stuff like I used to. Hopefully some of these small school guys plan out. I like the WR from CC that signed as a UDFA. He's someone I saw going as high as rd 4.

WR depth, TE2, and PR are still issues. To me those spots were more important than a developmental OL or 4th S.

Grade: B-

Scooper

Post by Scooper » Sun May 01, 2022 2:38 pm

My biggest positive takeaway is the athleticism and versatility added to the defensive backfield. Defenses in this day and age need to be more multiple and versatile than ever. Nickel is almost the norm and a slot/nickel DB often has a responsibility just as tough and as important as the traditional field and boundary corners. And your safeties damned sure better be able to run with WRs or fight athletic TEs.

One thing's for certain, the AFC is going to be slinging it for the next few years. The Bengals can sling it with the best of them, especially with the rebuilt OL. This draft was an attempt to tool their defense to counter the onslaught of top QBs, WRs and TEs they'll have to beat to get back to the superbowl. Even the DT, while a reach, is an attempt to put a SDE in that 3T spot, probably on passing downs, to get more pass rush up the middle.

This may not have been a "wow" draft, nor did it fill every hole. But I think it made the team better where it needed to stay competitive.

TheBurn

Post by TheBurn » Sun May 01, 2022 6:02 pm

yes, what Scoop said, that's how I see it as well

Joe Bananas

Post by Joe Bananas » Sun May 01, 2022 6:11 pm

Scooper wrote:
Sun May 01, 2022 2:38 pm
My biggest positive takeaway is the athleticism and versatility added to the defensive backfield. Defenses in this day and age need to be more multiple and versatile than ever. Nickel is almost the norm and a slot/nickel DB often has a responsibility just as tough and as important as the traditional field and boundary corners. And your safeties damned sure better be able to run with WRs or fight athletic TEs.

One thing's for certain, the AFC is going to be slinging it for the next few years. The Bengals can sling it with the best of them, especially with the rebuilt OL. This draft was an attempt to tool their defense to counter the onslaught of top QBs, WRs and TEs they'll have to beat to get back to the superbowl. Even the DT, while a reach, is an attempt to put a SDE in that 3T spot, probably on passing downs, to get more pass rush up the middle.

This may not have been a "wow" draft, nor did it fill every hole. But I think it made the team better where it needed to stay competitive.
Been thinking about this too. Alot of versatility and athleticism in this group.

Being born in Ky, near Louisville I used to watch Denny Crums 80s basketball teams. They were just a tad different and never knew why until I was older. Denny didn't recruit Basketball players, he recruited athletes. They all could run, jump outta a gym, 6'2 shooting guards playing forward at times. 6'5-6'6 centers that had a 38 inch vertical. This is where the NFL is changing and has for awhile now. We are all just old-well, me, OB, B, Meat and others.
I was crazy back when being crazy really meant something.

Scooper

Post by Scooper » Sun May 01, 2022 6:26 pm

Joe Bananas wrote:
Sun May 01, 2022 6:11 pm
Scooper wrote:
Sun May 01, 2022 2:38 pm

Been thinking about this too. Alot of versatility and athleticism in this group.

Being born in Ky, near Louisville I used to watch Denny Crums 80s basketball teams. They were just a tad different and never knew why until I was older. Denny didn't recruit Basketball players, he recruited athletes. They all could run, jump outta a gym, 6'2 shooting guards playing forward at times. 6'5-6'6 centers that had a 38 inch vertical. This is where the NFL is changing and has for awhile now. We are all just old-well, me, OB, B, Meat and others.
Oh, I'm right there with you on the old part.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Mon May 02, 2022 11:35 am

Joe Bananas wrote:
We are all just old-well, me, OB, B, Meat and others.

Scooper

Post by Scooper » Mon May 02, 2022 11:44 am

Bengals1 wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 11:35 am
Joe Bananas wrote:
Uh huh. Image

MeatHeadbengal

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Mon May 02, 2022 11:49 am

I liked this draft, we moved for guys we wanted. I like the Guard Volson pick, I watched some film on him after we drafted him and he's a massive dude, big frame and base, all while he moves very fluid and smooth for his size. He's got some work still obviously but I think he's going to compete and probably beat out Carman in the first week.

MeatHeadbengal

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Mon May 02, 2022 11:50 am

Scooper wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 11:44 am
Bengals1 wrote:
Joe Bananas wrote:
Uh huh. Image
LOL! :lol: :lol:

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Mon May 02, 2022 12:08 pm

Scooper wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 11:44 am
Bengals1 wrote:
Joe Bananas wrote:
Uh huh. Image
Now that's funny! :twisted: