Official 2022 Draft Day 2

Let's talk Cincinnati Bengals football!
Bengals1

Re: Official 2022 Draft Day 2

Post by Bengals1 » Mon May 02, 2022 12:19 pm

I give this draft a solid B.

Like I wrote in an earlier post you have to grade this draft on a curve. First, it was a lackluster class of players with no flashy "can't miss" types even in the first few picks. There was no consensus at all over who would go first let alone second or third etc... When even the so-called draft "experts" can't agree on who the top picks are you can bet nobody has any clue about the ones at the bottom of the round. Half the experts on TV thought the pick of Travon Walker was great while half actually called it a reach! :roll:

Also, picking as far back as we were we weren't going to get a big name flashy player.....period.

We appear to have gotten a few solid players who can step in right away and spell our starters. In a year or two a few may even be our starters. I would have liked to see a Punter and TE taken but other than that its about as good as you could reasonably expect.

Joe Bananas

Post by Joe Bananas » Mon May 02, 2022 2:00 pm

Bengals1 wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 12:19 pm

Like I wrote in an earlier post you have to grade this draft on a curve. First, it was a lackluster class of players with no flashy "can't miss" types even in the first few picks. There was no consensus at all over who would go first let alone second or third etc... When even the so-called draft "experts" can't agree on who the top picks are you can bet nobody has any clue about the ones at the bottom of the round. Half the experts on TV thought the pick of Travon Walker was great while half actually called it a reach! :roll:

Also, picking as far back as we were we weren't going to get a big name flashy player.....period.

We appear to have gotten a few solid players who can step in right away and spell our starters. In a year or two a few may even be our starters. I would have liked to see a Punter and TE taken but other than that its about as good as you could reasonably expect.
Agree. Honestly, in my opinion, this was a medicore draft class as a whole. After thr first 35 40 players (if that), there wasn't anyone that a team couldn't live without.

When you don't know who was going number 1, then to me that set the platform that this was more of an average class than most. I mean no clear cut number 1 QB. RBs were suspect at best. WRs were average, hardly any TEs,.etc.
I was crazy back when being crazy really meant something.

Zoo

Post by Zoo » Mon May 02, 2022 5:08 pm

Joe Bananas wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 2:00 pm
Bengals1 wrote:

Agree. Honestly, in my opinion, this was a medicore draft class as a whole. After thr first 35 40 players (if that), there wasn't anyone that a team couldn't live without.

When you don't know who was going number 1, then to me that set the platform that this was more of an average class than most. I mean no clear cut number 1 QB. RBs were suspect at best. WRs were average, hardly any TEs,.etc.
The only position that had a clear cut top player was center. And there's still a lot of question marks on him.
Heck even the coveted punter from San Diego wasn't the first punter drafted.
And on top of that what could've been the top receiver in the draft doesn't get drafted ( Justyn Ross). Unfortunately he signed with the Chiefs.

Joe Bananas

Post by Joe Bananas » Mon May 02, 2022 8:11 pm

Zoo wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 5:08 pm
Joe Bananas wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 2:00 pm
Bengals1 wrote:

The only position that had a clear cut top player was center. And there's still a lot of question marks on him.
Heck even the coveted punter from San Diego wasn't the first punter drafted.
And on top of that what could've been the top receiver in the draft doesn't get drafted ( Justyn Ross). Unfortunately he signed with the Chiefs.
Yeah. Seeing Ross go to the chiefs pissed me off. I mean heck, throw 80 grand to the guy get him signed and if he doesn't work out them for a billion dollar team you're not losing a thing. BUT, if he's healthy then the chiefs hit the jackpot- big time!
I was crazy back when being crazy really meant something.