Re: All-Time Bengals team

Post by Mag » Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:18 am

MeatHeadbengal wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:08 am
Mag wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:21 am
MeatHeadbengal wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:02 am

Sadly you just can't do that. I understand what your saying but I have heard no where that Whit has ever been in the conversation of GOAT at LT. Munoz is, and you can't take size now and compare to size then that's just not fair. Scoop is right in his post above, also you can't take a guy who literally just beat us for a SB ring, over our first ballet Ring of Honor member, that's just firetrucked up.
Of course I can do it, Its my variant of the list! :lol:
Ah yes and as you so eloquently put to someone else on an O-line thread... You'd be wrong!
You gotta admit, my list is way more interesting and thought provoking than the typical list. :D

Mag

Post by Mag » Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:21 am

Scooper wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 8:06 am
Sorry, Mag. Context has to matter here. Munoz is the greatest, and I love Whit. Who would you argue to be a greater army, Poland circa 1939 or the Macedonians under Alexander thr Great? Because obviously one is regarded as one of the greatest and most successful armies in history, but would still be obliterated against the army that was rolled over in weeks. So players are bigger now. But context matters.
I don't get what you are trying to do here. First you seem to disagree, claiming I need context, but I specifically gave a context. Then you basically go on to make my point.

Mag

Post by Mag » Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:23 am

Scooper wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 12:59 pm
Bengals1 wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 8:32 am
Scooper wrote:
Sorry, Mag. Context has to matter here. Munoz is the greatest, and I love Whit. Who would you argue to be a greater army, Poland circa 1939 or the Macedonians under Alexander thr Great? Because obviously one is regarded as one of the greatest and most successful armies in history, but would still be obliterated against the army that was rolled over in weeks. So players are bigger now. But context matters.
That is the weirdest post that actually makes sense I've ever read here....🥴
I really should have gone with a Bud Lite sells more but craft beer is still better angle.
I am actually taking quite a few Bud Lite/Mich Ultra taps with my Aluminum Cowboy light lager. So there! :D

orange_black

Post by orange_black » Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:24 am

the only thing players can do is play against their competition at the time. there is absolutely NO way to guesstimate whether or not they would handle today's NFL.

I am a true believer that an athlete's body size, their quickness all those things that go into being a professional athlete are a direct result of their world growing up. how young they started, how much "help" and "coaching" they were given.....

i believe today's athletes are bigger and better and faster than older athletes because their parents helped them more, they have better vitamins, better coaching, better technology, better training... all that stuff.

so whos to say if Anthony Munoz was born in 1995, he wouldnt be just as dominate today as he was back in the day??? its an impossible argument to settle.

so i always compare athletes based on their dominance at the time they performed. that all you can do without sounding crazy.

and i know its early... but Burrow has done more to this franchise in 2 years than any other player in history.

Mag

Post by Mag » Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:44 am

Just to reiterate, I am not speculating whether or not someone like Munoz could play today if he was able to put more size on. I specifically said I was picking players as they were in their time. As if I had a time machine and could go back and get them as they were then. Munoz at 275lbs was the greatest OL of his era. At 275 lbs, he would not be as great today. Yet Willie Anderson was the greatest RT of his era. If you took a time machine to 2000 and brought him back today, he would still likely be the best RT (if not overall OL) in this era.

Scooper

Post by Scooper » Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:57 am

Mag wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:21 am
Scooper wrote:
I don't get what you are trying to do here. First you seem to disagree, claiming I need context, but I specifically gave a context. Then you basically go on to make my point.
The "context" is using them relative to their contemporaries to determine the greatest. Of course today's best players are going to be bigger and faster. But how much better was he than the biggest and fastest of his day? And how does that gap compare to the gap between the best of today versus the next best of today? That's the context that allows for a comparison of each in their prime.

stripesincarolina

Post by stripesincarolina » Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:08 am

Mag wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:44 am
Just to reiterate, I am not speculating whether or not someone like Munoz could play today if he was able to put more size on. I specifically said I was picking players as they were in their time. As if I had a time machine and could go back and get them as they were then. Munoz at 275lbs was the greatest OL of his era. At 275 lbs, he would not be as great today. Yet Willie Anderson was the greatest RT of his era. If you took a time machine to 2000 and brought him back today, he would still likely be the best RT (if not overall OL) in this era.
And to make this even more messed up, what if you could take today's athletes back to the 80's and turn them loose! How freaking awesome would that be to watch Big Whit blocking the Steel Curtain? Or watching Tyreek Hill run routes against a 70's Bengals defense?

We gotta get one of those time machine thingies.
Seeking Superbowls

MeatHeadbengal

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:29 am

stripesincarolina wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:08 am
Mag wrote:
And to make this even more messed up, what if you could take today's athletes back to the 80's and turn them loose! How freaking awesome would that be to watch Big Whit blocking the Steel Curtain? Or watching Tyreek Hill run routes against a 70's Bengals defense?

It was a different time, I bet the guys today wouldn't last as long back then. The game was much different and guys like Hill wouldn't be allowed to run routes over the middle they would have been decapitated.

stripesincarolina

Post by stripesincarolina » Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:47 am

MeatHeadbengal wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:29 am
stripesincarolina wrote:
Mag wrote:

It was a different time, I bet the guys today wouldn't last as long back then. The game was much different and guys like Hill wouldn't be allowed to run routes over the middle they would have been decapitated.
They would have to see him to hit him! These guys today with their 4.3 speeds would look like a lightning bolt to 1970's defenses. Chase / Hill/ Ocho / etc would absolutely juke those guys back into the 1950's. You ever watch the movie The Final Countdown where the Japanese Zeroes end up fighting F-14 Tomcats? It would be like that.
Seeking Superbowls

MeatHeadbengal

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Fri Mar 18, 2022 12:22 pm

stripesincarolina wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:47 am
MeatHeadbengal wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:29 am
stripesincarolina wrote:

They would have to see him to hit him! These guys today with their 4.3 speeds would look like a lightning bolt to 1970's defenses. Chase / Hill/ Ocho / etc would absolutely juke those guys back into the 1950's. You ever watch the movie The Final Countdown where the Japanese Zeroes end up fighting F-14 Tomcats? It would be like that.
That's a horrible comparison, they speed difference is there but it's not going to be that much of a huge difference. The physicality however is huge. I remember the difference between football from 1997-1998 at college and then coming back in 2004 huge difference in physicality. The players weren't as physically or mentally tough as the older players.