All-Time Bengals team

Let's talk Cincinnati Bengals football!
Exile

All-Time Bengals team

Post by Exile » Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:22 pm

I know we’re all focused on the future with FA in full swing, but there’s only so much to say while we wait for things to happen. So let’s talk all-time Bengals.

I think it’s an interesting time to do this exercise since we just had a Super Bowl run. Great team, clearly some of our current guys deserve spots. But at the same time, we should probably be careful about letting recency bias creep in.

So who have you got? Feel free to stop at starters or do backups too, or to throw guys out for conversation. Some are going to be obvious and easily agreed on, some should spark interesting conversation. I’ll post mine shortly.

Bengals1

Re: All-Time Bengals team

Post by Bengals1 » Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:26 pm

The obvious....Anderson, Munoz, Riley, Brooks.

Zoo

Post by Zoo » Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:44 pm

Bengals1 wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:26 pm
Which Anderson? Kenny or Willie?

Exile

Post by Exile » Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:47 pm

QB: Gotta be Akili Smith, right? Jk. It’s Gotta be one of our Super Bowl QBs. My heart wants to go Burrow, and honestly I’m young enough that I barely remember watching Boomer and definitely didn’t watch Kenny when he played.

HB: CD seems like a slam dunk, dude was so good. Brooks or Ickey to back him up?

FB: the best fullback I’ve ever seen in stripes was Lorenzo Neal, but does he really qualify as a Bengal? Can we claim him? Is there someone better I’m missing?

WR: We’ve had a wealth of talent at receiver, hard to choose just 4. I think my top 3 would be Chad, Ja’marr, and AJ. Carl Pickens? I remember thinking he was great at the time, but what the hell did I know. TJ? TB?

TE: no idea. I feel like every TE in the last 30 years has been above average at best.

OT: Munoz, obviously. Whitworth would be a great backup though. Big Willie on the right side.

OG: I’m not sure here. I feel like Max Montoya is the right answer, though he was before my time. Do Steinbach or Zeitler rate a place?

C: Richie Braham?

This is taking longer than expected, so I’ll drop the offense here and come back for defense later.

Exile

Post by Exile » Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:47 pm

Bengals1 wrote:
Ahmad Brooks? 😂

Zoo

Post by Zoo » Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:55 pm

QB- Boomer
WR- Pickens, Curtis
C- Remington
DT- Krumrie, Atkins
CB-Thomas
S-Fulcher
Return- Parrish
TE- Ross, Holman

Mag

Post by Mag » Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:14 pm

I'll do this a bit differently. I will pick the best players past and present at their peak, who would be dominant today.

QB: Burrow, Boomer
RB: Dillon, Brooks
WR: AJ, Chad, Chase, TJ
TE: Eifert, Ross
LT: Whit, Munoz
LG: Steiny,
C: Braham, Kozerski
RG: Bobbie Williams, Zeitler
RT: Willie, Levi

DE: Smith
DT: Atkins
NT: Reader
DE: Hendrickson
LB: Burfict
LB: Spikes
LB/SS: Fulcher
S: Bates
S: Nelson
CB: Riley, Parish, Joseph, Hall

MeatHeadbengal

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:20 pm

Mag wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:14 pm
WOOOH there! Whit was good but he's not Munoz! Munoz is literally regarded as the best LT to ever play the game!

stripesincarolina

Post by stripesincarolina » Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:30 pm

MeatHeadbengal wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:20 pm
Mag wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:14 pm
WOOOH there! Whit was good but he's not Munoz! Munoz is literally regarded as the best LT to ever play the game!
Ah yes, the old generational argument rears its head. One might say Whit played against guys that were 15-25% larger than lineman in Munoz's time. (just to toss out a point that is always made)

It's the Bird/Jordan vs Lebron conversation. Comparisons are almost impossible to make. I could argue that Munoz was better because of the type of offense the Bengals ran. (another hypothetical) These comparisons are fun to make and discuss, but they really can't ever be resolved because you can't ever make an apples to apples assessment. Stoolers of the 70's vs Stoolers in the Big Ben Superbowl era? Impossible.......
Seeking Superbowls

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:44 pm

Zoo wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:44 pm
Bengals1 wrote:
Which Anderson? Kenny or Willie?
Kenny of course.