All-Time Bengals team

Let's talk Cincinnati Bengals football!
Bengals1

Re: All-Time Bengals team

Post by Bengals1 » Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:00 pm

Because of modern medicine, nutrition and advancements in health maintenance etc... people as a whole are bigger than they were just a few decades ago.

Suits of Armor from medieval times are much too small for most modern men to fit into. Paramount Pictures celebrated its 100th Anniversary in 2012. We had buildings on the lot that were literally 100 years old. The doorways were noticeably smaller than modern doorways.

It really is like comparing apples to oranges....

Mag

Re: All-Time Bengals team

Post by Mag » Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:40 pm

Scooper wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:57 am
Mag wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:21 am
Scooper wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 8:06 am
Sorry, Mag. Context has to matter here. Munoz is the greatest, and I love Whit. Who would you argue to be a greater army, Poland circa 1939 or the Macedonians under Alexander thr Great? Because obviously one is regarded as one of the greatest and most successful armies in history, but would still be obliterated against the army that was rolled over in weeks. So players are bigger now. But context matters.
I don't get what you are trying to do here. First you seem to disagree, claiming I need context, but I specifically gave a context. Then you basically go on to make my point.
The "context" is using them relative to their contemporaries to determine the greatest. Of course today's best players are going to be bigger and faster. But how much better was he than the biggest and fastest of his day? And how does that gap compare to the gap between the best of today versus the next best of today? That's the context that allows for a comparison of each in their prime.
To be fair, the title of this thread is "All-time Bengals Team", not who the all time greats are. So my assumption, and I specifically address that before my post, was the All-time team if played today (just to make it interesting).