Re: Bengal Transactions

Post by Zoo » Tue May 03, 2022 7:09 am

Joe Bananas wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 6:30 am
stripesincarolina wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 10:22 pm
Joe Bananas wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 8:12 pm

Means they didn't get who the wanted in this past weekend's draft. Hope he does ok.
Hope he does ok? Am I missing something in regards to Huber? The guy is rock steady. I thought he was just testing FA as an older vet the Bengals would like to replace, but there isnt anything wrong with him. Right/wrong?
He's older, much older. Why were we looking to replace him? Curious.
Don't think we were seriously.lookung to replace him in the draft. I think someone posted on here that one of the draft gurus had us taking Azaira in the 5th round. And like usual some of us get disappointed when we don't do what the so called experts say.
Also a little tidbit. Dru Chrisman was the top rated punter in 2021 draft class. He is still very much an option. I look at the Huber signing ad two things.First, A security option if Chrisman doesn't cut it. Second, a nice gesture by the Bengals for being the longest tenured player.

Scooper

Post by Scooper » Tue May 03, 2022 8:15 am

Zoo wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 7:09 am
Joe Bananas wrote:
stripesincarolina wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 10:22 pm

Hope he does ok? Am I missing something in regards to Huber? The guy is rock steady. I thought he was just testing FA as an older vet the Bengals would like to replace, but there isnt anything wrong with him. Right/wrong?
Don't think we were seriously.lookung to replace him in the draft. I think someone posted on here that one of the draft gurus had us taking Azaira in the 5th round. And like usual some of us get disappointed when we don't do what the so called experts say.
Also a little tidbit. Dru Chrisman was the top rated punter in 2021 draft class. He is still very much an option. I look at the Huber signing ad two things.First, A security option if Chrisman doesn't cut it. Second, a nice gesture by the Bengals for being the longest tenured player.
You missed a third possibility. They're just not worried much about punting this year and don't expect the punter to be busy, anyway.

MeatHeadbengal

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Tue May 03, 2022 8:41 am

Scooper wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 8:15 am
Zoo wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 7:09 am
Joe Bananas wrote:

You missed a third possibility. They're just not worried much about punting this year and don't expect the punter to be busy, anyway.
That or they are more for placement punting (directional Punting) and not necessarily the long bomb punts. There is a difference and there's a reason Huber was on this team for such a long time.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Tue May 03, 2022 9:07 am

I think the fact that Huber was not resigned in the weeks leading up to the draft is what had so many mocks showing us taking a Punter. It appeared to be a position of need.

The fact that they didn't sign him until after the draft makes you wonder if they were seriously considering taking one, missed out on the opportunity and quickly resigned him or simply had faith in Chrisman.

It would appear they want the competition in camp since they've since resigned Huber.

This article is interesting....

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2022/5/2/23 ... draft-2022

4256 Hits

Post by 4256 Hits » Tue May 03, 2022 10:24 am

Bengals1 wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 7:14 pm
Zoo wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 5:32 pm
And the Bengals just signed Kevin Huber to a one year deal.
I hope this means they're going after a Punter in next years draft.
Not so sure why a Punter is such a priority to you. Huber was 13 in net yards and 14th in gross yards. The difference between and average punter and the best is about 3 yards a punt the difference between a bad punter and average punter is about 3 yards a punt. The difference between the top and bottom of Punters in not that big. Finding something close to an average punter in not that difficult.

It is not nearly as important as a place kicker. The difference between the top kicker to the bottom kickers is much greater and costs teams wins. Finding an average or better kicker is not as easy.

Zoo

Post by Zoo » Tue May 03, 2022 10:57 am

4256 Hits wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 10:24 am
Bengals1 wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 7:14 pm
Zoo wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 5:32 pm
And the Bengals just signed Kevin Huber to a one year deal.
I hope this means they're going after a Punter in next years draft.
Not so sure why a Punter is such a priority to you. Huber was 13 in net yards and 14th in gross yards. The difference between and average punter and the best is about 3 yards a punt the difference between a bad punter and average punter is about 3 yards a punt. The difference between the top and bottom of Punters in not that big. Finding something close to an average punter in not that difficult.

It is not nearly as important as a place kicker. The difference between the top kicker to the bottom kickers is much greater and costs teams wins. Finding an average or better kicker is not as easy.
I think what the Bengals realize is they have a franchise place kicker. They also realize they have an aging punter and a aging long snapper. They ironically landed the best long snapper as an undrafted free agent. Maybe the question on Chrisman is his ability to hold place kicks. If this pans out you could have your core special team set for the next 10 -15 years.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Tue May 03, 2022 12:11 pm

Zoo wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 10:57 am
I think what the Bengals realize is they have a franchise place kicker. They also realize they have an aging punter and a aging long snapper. They ironically landed the best long snapper as an undrafted free agent. Maybe the question on Chrisman is his ability to hold place kicks. If this pans out you could have your core special team set for the next 10 -15 years.
This is why a Punter is so important to me.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Tue May 03, 2022 12:27 pm

The fact that Chrisman was even brought in and Huber wasn't immediately resigned after the season ought to tell you something right there.

The Bengals obviously have some concerns about Huber. Read this from earlier today....

Mike Petraglia @Trags
Darrin Simmons says one of Kevin Huber's best seasons recently was 2020, because he was forced into fewer reps due to COVID. "Yeah, I need to see what he can do. I need to see he still has it." #Bengals

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Wed May 18, 2022 11:52 am

Ian Rapoport @RapSheet
The #Bengals have agreed to terms with first-round pick #Xichigan DB Daxton Hill, source said. He’ll sign today. Another first-rounder in the books.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Fri May 20, 2022 11:14 am

Paul Dehner Jr. @pauldehnerjr
The Bengals signed two more draft picks today. Second-rounder Cam Taylor-Britt and seventh-rounder Jeffrey Gunter inked deals. That makes four of six picks signed. Only third-round pick Zach Carter and fourth-round pick Cordell Volson remain unsigned.