2022 Free Agency News & Chatter

Let's talk Cincinnati Bengals football!
Bengals1

2022 Free Agency News & Chatter

Post by Bengals1 » Tue Mar 08, 2022 10:19 pm

Report: Bengals Interested in Patriots Cornerback J.C. Jackson
Will Cincinnati land the top free agent cornerback?
JAMES RAPIEN

CINCINNATI — The Bengals are interested in signing Patriots cornerback J.C. Jackson according to NFL insider Jordan Schultz.

New England didn't place the franchise tag on the 26-year-old prior to Tuesday's 4 p.m. ET deadline.

The Chargers, 49ers and Dolphins are also interested in him according to the report.

Jackson had 58 tackles and eight interceptions last season. He has 17 interceptions combined over the past two seasons.

The Bengals have taken big swings on defensive players in each of the past two offseasons. First, they signed DJ Reader to a four-year, $53 million deal in the spring of 2020. Then, they followed that up by inking Trey Hendrickson to a four-year, $60 million contract last March.

Both players played a big role in Cincinnati's Super Bowl run. Would the Bengals be willing to follow that up by signing Jackson to a long-term contract?

Pro Football Focus projects him to sign a four-year, $72 million deal. It may sound farfetched, but Cincinnati could free up nearly $17 million in cap space by releasing Trae Waynes and Trey Hopkins.

If they took that room and applied it to Jackson, they'd still have space to make a run at quality veteran offensive linemen in free agency.

Adding Jackson to a defensive backfield that includes Jessie Bates, Vonn Bell, Chidobe Awuzie and Mike Hilton would give the Bengals one of the best secondaries in the NFL.

stripesincarolina

Re: 2022 Free Agency News & Chatter

Post by stripesincarolina » Tue Mar 08, 2022 10:41 pm

LOL, I did a complete double take on the sentence that said "Cincinnati's Superbowl run". It still hasnt sunk in!!
Seeking Superbowls

stripesincarolina

Post by stripesincarolina » Tue Mar 08, 2022 10:44 pm

Bobby Wagner anyone? 31 years old, Seahawks released him. Instant LB depth, potential starter for 1-2 more years. Would take the need for a LB out of the draft until next year.

I think he's going to be too expensive for what we need to do on the Oline and potentially CB. But if the price is right I would certainly look at him.
Seeking Superbowls

skycruiser

Post by skycruiser » Wed Mar 09, 2022 5:12 am

stripesincarolina wrote:
Tue Mar 08, 2022 10:44 pm
Bobby Wagner anyone? 31 years old, Seahawks released him. Instant LB depth, potential starter for 1-2 more years. Would take the need for a LB out of the draft until next year.

I think he's going to be too expensive for what we need to do on the Oline and potentially CB. But if the price is right I would certainly look at him.
Not with the way Logan Wilson and Pratt played. Bet Wagner ends up in the retirement franchises like LA or AZ

Joe Bananas

Post by Joe Bananas » Wed Mar 09, 2022 8:32 am

Really would love to have Jackson. But he'll be to pricey for us. If we didn't resign our own in Bates then we're not going to shell out a gold mint for Jackson either.

But him, Bates, Awuzie, Hilton, Bell and maybe draft S Cine from Georgia. Be a helluva a secondary.
I was crazy back when being crazy really meant something.

Jmble

Post by Jmble » Wed Mar 09, 2022 12:46 pm

stripesincarolina wrote:
Tue Mar 08, 2022 10:44 pm

Jackson is only 26 though. Should still be in his prime for at least the next couple years or so.

I misread your post Stripes. Ignore my response to you. Still good to know that Jackson is pretty young still.

Joe Bananas

Post by Joe Bananas » Wed Mar 09, 2022 7:00 pm

Has anyone read Hobsons annual write up about free agency and how we really only have like 1.50 to spend so don't expect any big signings? It's been like every year since 2003. If it cost a quarter to shit, we'd have to puke cause we're so broke.
I was crazy back when being crazy really meant something.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:13 pm

Bills released offensive lineman Jon Feliciano
Mar 09, 2022

The Bills announced that the team has released offensive lineman Jon Feliciano.

Feliciano played 34 regular season games and made 31 starts in his three seasons with the Bills. He played in six playoff games making four starts in the postseason. The veteran finished his seventh NFL season in 2021.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:23 am

Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet)
Sources: The Washington #Commanders are expected to release star defender Landon Collins after the two sides did not agree on a restructured contract. Collins will now hit free agency to cash in again.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:41 am

Titans Release Pro Bowl Left Guard Rodger Saffold Before Start of Free Agency
The 33-year-old made his first Pro Bowl last season.

CINCINNATI — If the Bengals are hoping to bolster their offensive line, then they'll certainly have their chance to do so in free agency.

There are plenty of proven players on the market and another one became a free agent on Thursday when the Titans informed Rodger Saffold that he would be released.

The Bedford, Ohio native made his first Pro Bowl in 2021. He's been a consistent presence on the interior of the Titans' offensive line for the past three seasons.

Saffold had a $1 million roster bonus due next week. He was entering the fourth year of a four-year, $44 million deal. ESPN's Adam Schefter was the first to report the news.

Saffold is 33-years-old, but he's still playing at an above average level and has been one of the most durable offensive linemen in the NFL.

Saffold has made at least 15 starts in each of the past six seasons. Cincinnati will likely target younger linemen, but this gives them another guard to consider adding to the roster this offseason.