2022 Draft Chatter

Let's talk Cincinnati Bengals football!
Mag

Re: 2022 Draft Chatter

Post by Mag » Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:05 pm

MeatHeadbengal wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:51 am
Round 2 (63): Jalen Pitre, FS, Baylor

Vonn Bell is entering the last year of his contract and Jessie Bates is facing a year on the franchise tag and potentially bolting in 2023. Finding a future face of the position will be imperative in this draft. Pitre comes with a special football intelligence and character background, which plays big-time in Cincinnati. He might have a few tangible aspects of his game that will take developing, but with Bates and Bell in place this year, they have time for that. He’s an ideal culture fit at a position of need and can help in a third safety role immediately. The circle of NFL life arrives as it was Bates drafted in the second round in 2018 spelling the end for longtime starter George Iloka. A new second-rounder could be an eventual replacement for the soon-to-be very rich safety, Bates.
So he doesn't think we'll extend Bates... Personally I think we will he's only 24!
Even if we extend Bates, we would still have to extend Bell too. While I would love both, it may be unlikely to keep both.

TheBurn

Post by TheBurn » Wed Mar 23, 2022 7:49 am

woah... Lindstrom in the 6th?
Sign me up! :mrgreen:

Joe Bananas

Post by Joe Bananas » Wed Mar 23, 2022 8:28 am

TheBurn wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 7:49 am
Yeah, no doubt.
I was crazy back when being crazy really meant something.

Zoo

Post by Zoo » Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:51 am

Joe Bananas wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 8:28 am
TheBurn wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 7:49 am
Yeah, no doubt.
I don't know. Initially I liked this guy. But, he's a work in progress. The plus is he's also a long snapper. So, if he's there you could have your future center fall into your lap or your future long snapper 🤔

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Wed Mar 23, 2022 5:09 pm

BENGALS TALK 🗣 Retweeted
Dan Hope @Dan_Hope
Tyreke Smith said the Seahawks, Bengals and Vikings are among the teams he’s met with recently, though he believes he’s spoken to every NFL team at least twice. He was at both Senior Bowl and NFL Combine.

He also had a one-on-one conversation with Texans coach Lovie Smith today

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Thu Mar 24, 2022 1:57 pm

Ouch.... :|

Tom Pelissero @TomPelissero
Former LSU LB Damone Clark is undergoing spinal fusion surgery today after an MRI at the combine revealed a herniated disk, per sources.

One of the top linebackers in this year’s NFL Draft, Clark most likely will miss his rookie season, but is expected to make a full recovery.

We'll probably move up ten spots to take him at 21 cos' he's a "steal. " :roll:

skycruiser

Post by skycruiser » Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:55 pm

They should trade up for Stingley

Jmble

Post by Jmble » Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:57 am

The Annual Beat Writer Mock Draft from The Athletic came out today. It's too hard to post all of it right now, but I'll post who Dehner picked and what the Athletic's "NFL Draft Guru" Dane Brugler had to say about it.

31. Cincinnati Bengals: Kyler Gordon, CB, Washington
Paul Dehner Jr.: The obvious quandary here is Iowa center Tyler Linderbaum still being on the board. But the Bengals made three additions to the offensive line in free agency, including adding Ted Karras and planting him at the center position. That’s on top of the three draft picks they spent on the line last year. They finally feel comfortable enough to pass on the draft’s top center. Instead, they fill the most glaring need on the roster at cornerback. Eli Apple is the current starter, but this pick would allow a first-rounder to come in and try to beat him out. The feisty, physical, playmaking Gordon would be an ideal fit in coordinator Lou Anarumo’s system next to Chidobe Awuzie and Mike Hilton.

Brugler: It feels crazy that the Bengals would pass on Linderbaum, but I agree with Paul. With the additions the Bengals have made on the offensive line, the target with this pick shifts to cornerback. But is Gordon worth a first-round pick? I have my reservations, especially after he fell short of expectations at the combine. Safety isn’t an immediate need, but neither Vonn Bell nor Jessie Bates are under contract beyond the 2022 season and Georgia’s Lewis Cine would be a great fit.

Joe Bananas

Post by Joe Bananas » Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:51 am

Jmble wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:57 am
The Annual Beat Writer Mock Draft from The Athletic came out today. It's too hard to post all of it right now, but I'll post who Dehner picked and what the Athletic's "NFL Draft Guru" Dane Brugler had to say about it.

31. Cincinnati Bengals: Kyler Gordon, CB, Washington
Paul Dehner Jr.: The obvious quandary here is Iowa center Tyler Linderbaum still being on the board. But the Bengals made three additions to the offensive line in free agency, including adding Ted Karras and planting him at the center position. That’s on top of the three draft picks they spent on the line last year. They finally feel comfortable enough to pass on the draft’s top center. Instead, they fill the most glaring need on the roster at cornerback. Eli Apple is the current starter, but this pick would allow a first-rounder to come in and try to beat him out. The feisty, physical, playmaking Gordon would be an ideal fit in coordinator Lou Anarumo’s system next to Chidobe Awuzie and Mike Hilton.

Brugler: It feels crazy that the Bengals would pass on Linderbaum, but I agree with Paul. With the additions the Bengals have made on the offensive line, the target with this pick shifts to cornerback. But is Gordon worth a first-round pick? I have my reservations, especially after he fell short of expectations at the combine. Safety isn’t an immediate need, but neither Vonn Bell nor Jessie Bates are under contract beyond the 2022 season and Georgia’s Lewis Cine would be a great fit.
I'm not crazy about Gordan. Think it'll be just a need pick and for me he isn't even a top 5 or 6 CB. This will be a reach for him. Now McDuffie is. He's my top 2. Elam is. Booth is. But Gordon, no. McCreary from Auburn is better in my opinion as well.

If Elam or McDuffie isn't there then take someone else. One dude that can flat play from the stuff I've seen and watched is Hill, S from Michigan.

I would pick someone else besides Gordan.
I was crazy back when being crazy really meant something.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Mon Mar 28, 2022 12:53 pm

This is why I'm coming more and more around to the belief that we're going to trade back out of the first round. There's just no one we like/need likely to be there at #31.

Even if Tyler Linderbaum should fall to 31 with the moves we've made in free agency he'd be nothing but a back-up at this point. You don't spend a first round pick on back-ups.

Gordon pretty much falls into the same category. He may end up a starter at some point but not likely in 2022.

If someone with an early pick in the second round wants to move up a couple of spots and is willing to give up a third and fifth etc....I'd fall back and use our picks on back-ups that might start in 2023 or so. In the meantime they'd provide useful depth and insurance against potential injuries during a long season.