2022 Draft Chatter

Let's talk Cincinnati Bengals football!
Scooper

Re: 2022 Draft Chatter

Post by Scooper » Mon Mar 28, 2022 2:39 pm

The problem with trading back is somebody has to want somebody bad enough to want to trade up. The best thing that can happen for the Bengals is for a borderline R1/R2 QB to be sitting there at 31 and a QB needy team decides to move up with the intention of securing that fifth year option that teams can get on a first round rookie contract with the current slotting that they can't get in the second round. It would save them a year, if that QB pans out, before having to break the bank on a second contract.

In other words, hope a Ridder, Howell, Pickett type falls to that spot.

MeatHeadbengal

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Mon Mar 28, 2022 3:05 pm

Scooper wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 2:39 pm
The problem with trading back is somebody has to want somebody bad enough to want to trade up. The best thing that can happen for the Bengals is for a borderline R1/R2 QB to be sitting there at 31 and a QB needy team decides to move up with the intention of securing that fifth year option that teams can get on a first round rookie contract with the current slotting that they can't get in the second round. It would save them a year, if that QB pans out, before having to break the bank on a second contract.

In other words, hope a Ridder, Howell, Pickett type falls to that spot.
That's not always true, there's always teams looking to trade up if certain players fall. I'm sure we'd have suitors at 31 even if one of those QB's don't fall but whether they're willing to put up the amount to trade is what true question is. I don't feel like the Bengals will trade down here at 31, I feel like their in position to take the best player available and more then likely I feel like it's going to be a CB.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Mon Mar 28, 2022 3:36 pm

You're forcing me once again to agree with Meat. Stop it! I can only take so many showers in a day. ;)

There's a very good chance someone will fall at a position we don't need ala' running back, quarterback, wide receiver etc...

Not that we couldn't use another player at any position but se veral positions aren't a great enough need to spend a first round pick on. That doesn't mean another team wouldn't want to move up to 31 to snag someone at one of those positions they have a much greater need for.

There's almost always somebody who wants to move up. It's more a matter of do they want to move up enough to give us something of real value in trade. 8-)

Scooper

Post by Scooper » Mon Mar 28, 2022 3:46 pm

Fans thinking this is Madden and teams can will something to happen. There is absolutely no guarantee there is somebody wanting to trade up for every slot.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Mon Mar 28, 2022 4:03 pm

Scooper wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 3:46 pm
Fans thinking this is Madden and teams can will something to happen. There is absolutely no guarantee there is somebody wanting to trade up for every slot.
Never said it was guaranteed - said it was likely.

MeatHeadbengal

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:26 pm

Scooper wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 3:46 pm
No it's not Madden but honestly there is probably a lot more chatter behind the scenes that we don't know about. I'd say that almost every pick there's team looking to move up, with that being said I don't think we're moving from 31 this year cause I think a CB will fall and that will be our pick.

4256 Hits

Post by 4256 Hits » Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:59 pm

Bengals1 wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 12:53 pm
This is why I'm coming more and more around to the belief that we're going to trade back out of the first round. There's just no one we like/need likely to be there at #31.

Even if Tyler Linderbaum should fall to 31 with the moves we've made in free agency he'd be nothing but a back-up at this point. You don't spend a first round pick on back-ups.

Gordon pretty much falls into the same category. He may end up a starter at some point but not likely in 2022.

If someone with an early pick in the second round wants to move up a couple of spots and is willing to give up a third and fifth etc....I'd fall back and use our picks on back-ups that might start in 2023 or so. In the meantime they'd provide useful depth and insurance against potential injuries during a long season.
Whomever is drafted at 31 the plan for them should be to be a back-up. I know we are not used to drafting this late in first round but you cannot plan on pick number 31 to be a starter. Odds are there will be an injury to a starting OL also there is still a 2nd starting G spot up for grabs so if they think Linderbaum is best player then they should draft him.

Saying that I think they take a CB or DT in first round.

MeatHeadbengal

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:08 pm

4256 Hits wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:59 pm
Bengals1 wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 12:53 pm
This is why I'm coming more and more around to the belief that we're going to trade back out of the first round. There's just no one we like/need likely to be there at #31.

Even if Tyler Linderbaum should fall to 31 with the moves we've made in free agency he'd be nothing but a back-up at this point. You don't spend a first round pick on back-ups.

Gordon pretty much falls into the same category. He may end up a starter at some point but not likely in 2022.

If someone with an early pick in the second round wants to move up a couple of spots and is willing to give up a third and fifth etc....I'd fall back and use our picks on back-ups that might start in 2023 or so. In the meantime they'd provide useful depth and insurance against potential injuries during a long season.
Whomever is drafted at 31 the plan for them should be to be a back-up. I know we are not used to drafting this late in first round but you cannot plan on pick number 31 to be a starter. Odds are there will be an injury to a starting OL also there is still a 2nd starting G spot up for grabs so if they think Linderbaum is best player then they should draft him.

Saying that I think they take a CB or DT in first round.
Why not? I think this is wrong think, the player we pick is literally the 31st best player coming out in this draft. There's no reason whatsoever that he shouldn't be considered a starter!

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:27 pm

MeatHeadbengal wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:08 pm
Why not? I think this is wrong think, the player we pick is literally the 31st best player coming out in this draft. There's no reason whatsoever that he shouldn't be considered a starter!
Ahh crap.....another shower. :x

MeatHeadbengal

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:48 pm

Bengals1 wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:27 pm
MeatHeadbengal wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:08 pm
Ahh crap.....another shower. :x
You/re welcome everyone... Improving B1's hygiene 1 post at a time!