Depth Chart/Needs/etc

Let's talk Cincinnati Bengals football!
Mag

Depth Chart/Needs/etc

Post by Mag » Tue Feb 15, 2022 9:30 am

QB: Burrow
RB: Mixon, Perine, Evans, Williams
TE: Sample, Moss (Wilcox ERFA)
WR: Chase, Higgins, Boyd, (Morgan RFA, Irwin ERFA)
OT: Williams, Prince, Smith (Johnson RFA)
G: Carmen, Adeneji,
C: Hopkin, Hill

DE: Hendrickson, Hubbard, Ossai, Sample, Kareem, Hubert (Ray ERFA)
NT: Reader, Shelvin
DT:
LB: Wilson, Pratt, ADG, Bailey, Jones, (Johnston ERFA)
S: Bell, Wilson
CB: Awuzie, Hilton, (Waynes likely cut $15mil),

Key FAs:
Bates S
Usomah TE
Hill DT
Ogunjobi DT
Spain G
Reiff OT
Allen QB

According to Sportrac, we have about $55M in cap space. Close to $70M if we cut Waynes. We also have at least 9 draft picks.

Biggest needs based on above:
1. OL upgrades and depth.
-Expect at least one high to mid draft pick and at least $25M in cap spent here. Top guys are Armstead LT, Orlando Brown LT, and Scherff G. Those guys will cost close to $20M each. More reasonable guys in the $8-12M range are Moses RT, Jenson C, Corbett G, Hernandez G, Allen C, Daniels C/G, and Cappa. I expect at least one quality starter from the Carmen, Adeneji, and Smith. Interesting question is what does the team think of Hopkins? He struggled, but also coming off a knee injury. Does he stay or go? He has one more year on his contract, making $7M.

2. DT, especially 3 tech
- The team will likely keep only one of either Hill or Ogunjobi. Likely can't afford both. I see the team using a high pick here, plus a later pick.

3. DB
-Bates should be re-signed, but depth is needed. Also Bell and Wilson are FAs next year. Also we have nothing at CB behind Awuzie and Hilton. If the price is right, I see us bringing back Apple and maybe Flowers. Expect at least one S and one CB drafted.

4. WR- We need depth, especially depth with upside. I see one lower tier FA and at least 2 draft picks here.

5. TE- It is going to be a tough call on CJ. He is a clutch target and has been a charismatic leader. As a vet over the age of 30, and with big needs elsewhere, this is a tough decision. Expect 1 draft pick here.

6. Backup QB- We need to decide if it is worth keeping Allen. Do we bring back Allen or another bargain vet, or do we go with a middle round rookie and save money?

7. Edge Depth- If Ossai can stay healthy we should be OK, but our starters played an awful lot of snaps. The reserves are OK vs the run, but offer little as passrushers. Also many of them struggled to stay healthy.

While $70M is a lot of cap space, this team has a lot of holes. I would love to blow a bunch of money on some blue chip guys, but we may need to calm down a bit and stay in the 2nd and 3rd tier, as we have been and go for value.

Joe Bananas

Re: Depth Chart/Needs/etc

Post by Joe Bananas » Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:17 am

We need to cut Waynes and free up about 8 to 9 million in more cap space and start over there. He's been with us 2 years and played what? Less than a handful of games.

OLINE
TE
CB
LBS

are out needs, imo.

I love Wilson, Pratt and Bailey, but if we can upgrade there then let's do it.

I love Uzomah, again, we all do, but we need an upgrade there too.

Yes, Apple played decent honestly, but I feel he's the riskiest of all CBS and we need another solid CB to go with Awuze, Hilton and another solid piece there would help tremendously.

Shore up Oline, TE and CBs. Imagine having another playmaker playing besides Pratt and Wilson.

We would have a very balanced great team in my opinion if we could get these pieces. Plus we have a booha ton of money.

However, I would like to resign our own first. Bates and that bunch.
I was crazy back when being crazy really meant something.

Jmble

Post by Jmble » Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:18 am

While $70M is a lot of cap space, this team has a lot of holes. I would love to blow a bunch of money on some blue chip guys, but we may need to calm down a bit and stay in the 2nd and 3rd tier, as we have been and go for value.

We need help too bad. If you can get one of those top guys on the line, you bring him in. We can't go into next season without at least one new Guard who we know can do the job. Draft picks are great. Change of scenery guys are worth a look. But we need to know going into next season that our Offensive Line has improved. We can't just hope that it's improved.

You're not going to get a whole team of new players for 70 mil, but we don't need a whole team of new players. We have a couple of positions that HAVE to get upgraded.

Scooper

Post by Scooper » Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:31 am

Get a plan A guy and a plan B guy at OL in FA. Then spend a couple picks in the first 5 rounds with at least one in in the first or second, depending on FA results. Re-sign Reiff, if affordable and healthy. Plus, Carmen should finally be healthy and getting up to strength. This can be done. It just needs to be a strong focus. This isn't an off-season for chasing shiny objects. We've got plenty of those.

Also have to hire a new LB coach, by the way.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:39 am

Mag wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 9:30 am
According to Sportrac, we have about $55M in cap space.
I used to drive a Ford Sport Trac. I believe I even have a photo of MrsB1 posing topless next to it. Great truck. A little underpowered but a fun vehicle nonetheless.... 8-)

Scooper

Post by Scooper » Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:41 am

Bengals1 wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:39 am
Mag wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 9:30 am
According to Sportrac, we have about $55M in cap space.
I used to drive a Ford Sport Trac. I believe I even have a photo of MrsB1 posing topless next to it. Great truck. A little underpowered but a fun vehicle nonetheless.... 8-)
So...she played without a cap?

Sorry terrible joke. But as a dad, I have to make it.

Joe Bananas

Post by Joe Bananas » Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:44 am

Plus, Carmen should finally be healthy and getting up to strength
Watching him play Tackle at Clemson I have high hopes for the guy. If you play Tackle at Bama, LSU, Clemson there isn't any doubt you can transition into an NFL player. I'm sure he was hurt. He showed a few glances of hopes this season and a few not so great moments. And I'm all for putting him as Guard if that's where he can excel.
I was crazy back when being crazy really meant something.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Tue Feb 15, 2022 12:21 pm

Joe Bananas wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:44 am
Watching him play Tackle at Clemson I have high hopes for the guy. If you play Tackle at Bama, LSU, Clemson there isn't any doubt you can transition into an NFL player. I'm sure he was hurt. He showed a few glances of hopes this season and a few not so great moments. And I'm all for putting him as Guard if that's where he can excel.
I'm sorry if Mag explained this in another post already, I must not have caught it. What kind of injury did Carmen have exactly...?

Mag

Post by Mag » Tue Feb 15, 2022 12:29 pm

Bengals1 wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 12:21 pm
Joe Bananas wrote:
I'm sorry if Mag explained this in another post already, I must not have caught it. What kind of injury did Carmen have exactly...?
Lower back.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Tue Feb 15, 2022 12:30 pm

Mag wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 12:29 pm
Bengals1 wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 12:21 pm
Joe Bananas wrote:

Lower back.
And again, forgive me if this was explained earlier but did he have this injury coming out of college...?