The 2022 Off season starts now

Let's talk Cincinnati Bengals football!
Scooper

Re: The 2022 Off season starts now

Post by Scooper » Mon Feb 14, 2022 11:49 am

It's different this time. Usually we turn our attention to the off-season as "copium" to help us feel better and give us something to look forward to. Now it's "We're this freaking close. What's the next step to getting there?"

Jmble

Post by Jmble » Mon Feb 14, 2022 11:50 am

skycruiser wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 11:24 am
i love how you all have immediately pivoted to offseason needs. now we're in our sweet spot aren't we! surprised mag doesn't have a 7 round mock up already
Honestly, I'm excited for this offseason. I feel like we've got something going and I want to see where it takes us.

Usually we have over two months of nothingness before the new NFL year starts. This year we played long enough that there's only a month til free agency begins.

I was disappointed last night. I mean, I still am, but I can see this season for what it was. This season was an overwhelming success. Knowing that the core is young and locked up, I'm just excited to see how we add to it. If we go through the next two months and they do nothing to address the Offensive Line, then we start to worry. But right now, I'm more excited about it.

Edit - Scoop beat me to it, but yeah... What he said.

MeatHeadbengal

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Mon Feb 14, 2022 12:03 pm

4256 Hits wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 10:37 am
Good summary. Only small disagreement is that I would not put CJ that high on the re-sign priority list. He is an average TE that is starting to get old. If he is willing to sign a two year reasonable contract great bring him back. TE is clearly a spot that can be upgraded so if right FA is interested sign him. NFL guys expect teammates to leave I wouldn't be worried about team chemistry.
Here's the issue with this take, CJ is an emotional leader on this team. We've done this before and let these type of players walk and it takes a year if not longer to find another guy. CJ needs to be resigned, he would be ok with finding someone better to catch passes there at TE, he's that type of teammate. So address that in offseason but resign this guy, he's a pivotal part of our locker room.

MeatHeadbengal

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Mon Feb 14, 2022 12:09 pm

Exile wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 11:06 am
I’m with Jmble and scooper here. Great breakdown, j! I really like the idea of keeping CJ and getting a younger guy to develop behind him, if that’s feasible. Tricky though, because the draft is your best place to do that and then it’s a trade off.

I hope they’re aggressive about improving the o line in FA. The draft is such a crap shoot, especially when you’re at the bottom of the round.
Picking at 31 we should be able to find a starting O-linemen pretty easy, no he's not going to be a top guy but we've had success finding good linemen in the late first round.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Mon Feb 14, 2022 12:13 pm

MeatHeadbengal wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 12:09 pm
Exile wrote:
I’m with Jmble and scooper here. Great breakdown, j! I really like the idea of keeping CJ and getting a younger guy to develop behind him, if that’s feasible. Tricky though, because the draft is your best place to do that and then it’s a trade off.

I hope they’re aggressive about improving the o line in FA. The draft is such a crap shoot, especially when you’re at the bottom of the round.
Picking at 31 we should be able to find a starting O-linemen pretty easy, no he's not going to be a top guy but we've had success finding good linemen in the late first round.
They may go O-line at 31 or they may sign some Free Agents this time around and look for Defense at 31. I'm good either way. As long as they shore up the O-line,.....period! :x

Joe Bananas

Post by Joe Bananas » Mon Feb 14, 2022 12:17 pm

MeatHeadbengal wrote:
Exile wrote:

Really want Trevor Penning outta Northern Iowa.

Consider B Rainmann outta C Michigan or the Iowa C Linderbaum. Hopefully one of these 3 are there at 31.
I was crazy back when being crazy really meant something.

MeatHeadbengal

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Mon Feb 14, 2022 12:20 pm

Joe Bananas wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 12:17 pm
MeatHeadbengal wrote:
Exile wrote:

Consider B Rainmann outta C Michigan or the Iowa C Linderbaum. Hopefully one of these 3 are there at 31.
Can't wait to start digging into these O-line guys films, it's going to be a fun and exciting offseason I think.

Joe Bananas

Post by Joe Bananas » Mon Feb 14, 2022 12:22 pm

MeatHeadbengal wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 12:20 pm
Joe Bananas wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 12:17 pm
MeatHeadbengal wrote:

Can't wait to start digging into these O-line guys films, it's going to be a fun and exciting offseason I think.
Yes it will be.

Mag

Post by Mag » Mon Feb 14, 2022 4:36 pm

Draft-wise if you think we have a shot at Iowa's Linderbaum, you are high. BPAs at need positions around pick 31 include:

Darian Kinnard OT/G UK- Saw this dude working out with Duke. Definitely a tier below the top guys, but could be a nice addition.
Zion Johnson G/C BC- Another top guy. Probably the #2 C prospect.
Nick Petit-Frere OT OSU- Don't know much about him yet. Didn't see many OSU games this year.
Roger McCreary CB Aub- Waynes will likely be cut. Apple while decent at times is not a long term fit.
Phiarian Mathis DL Bama-Depends on how the team values Hill and Ogunjobi. As well as they played, a upper tier 3 tech that can push the pocket is a need.
Kyler Gordon CB UW-See McCreary
Bernard Raimann OT C Mich-Raw Prospect with tons of upside.

Honestly, I would like to see us push hard for an OT like Armstead or of similar caliber. If they are LT, move Jonah to RT. Then add another veteran IOL or two to push the rookies. This would allow us to go BPA regardless of position. We could see a top player at what might seem a luxury position that could be a difference maker. Would such to pass of top talent because we NEED something.

Joe Bananas

Post by Joe Bananas » Mon Feb 14, 2022 5:02 pm

Mag wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 4:36 pm
Draft-wise if you think we have a shot at Iowa's Linderbaum, you are high. BPAs at need positions around pick 31 include:

Darian Kinnard OT/G UK- Saw this dude working out with Duke. Definitely a tier below the top guys, but could be a nice addition.
Zion Johnson G/C BC- Another top guy. Probably the #2 C prospect.
Nick Petit-Frere OT OSU- Don't know much about him yet. Didn't see many OSU games this year.
Roger McCreary CB Aub- Waynes will likely be cut. Apple while decent at times is not a long term fit.
Phiarian Mathis DL Bama-Depends on how the team values Hill and Ogunjobi. As well as they played, a upper tier 3 tech that can push the pocket is a need.
Kyler Gordon CB UW-See McCreary
Bernard Raimann OT C Mich-Raw Prospect with tons of upside.

Honestly, I would like to see us push hard for an OT like Armstead or of similar caliber. If they are LT, move Jonah to RT. Then add another veteran IOL or two to push the rookies. This would allow us to go BPA regardless of position. We could see a top player at what might seem a luxury position that could be a difference maker. Would such to pass of top talent because we NEED something.
I think with this years success the world and the NFL seen with WRs and Edge rushers, along with Interior D Linemen that some Olinemen may fall, including Linderbaum. Maybe not to 31, but mid 20s to late 20s. Everyone will want the next Kupp, the next Chase, the next Aaron Donald, with a guy who can get to the QB. Hell the Chiefs heavily invested in the oline last year and didn't make it to the SB. The Chargers went alllllll out or in however you look at it at the Oline and got No Where.

I watched Kinnard play his whole career, I'm a huge UK fan and attend some games being less than 2 hours away from commonwealth stadium. He's good, but I think he'll be a better guard than tackle.

But I'm with you, I think they'll look heavy at CB. Zac loves that position (see the free agents he's signed in that spot since he's been here)