The 2022 Off season starts now

Let's talk Cincinnati Bengals football!
Jmble

Re: The 2022 Off season starts now

Post by Jmble » Mon Feb 14, 2022 10:20 am

Brandon Allen won't be an issue. If the Bengals want him back, they probably just have to ask. I doubt it needs to be a priority. This guy isn't looking for a place that he can be a starter. Might as well stay on a Super Bowl team behind a guy who could be one bad hit away from making him the starter.

For the rest of the Unrestricted Free Agents

S Ricardo Allen - Don't care. He's 30 years old. Had a PFF Grade of 55.4 over 171 snaps. If you resign Bates, he's nothing but a backup. I wouldn't mind seeing them bring in somebody younger or better, but he's fine.

CB Eli Apple - Played a little better in the playoffs, but I'd much rather bring in somebody better. He's pretty well hated around the league. Put him on the back burner, try and do better, and then bring him in if you can't get somebody better.

S Jesse Bates - Resign. didn't have as good of a year in 2021, but he's 24 years old and we aren't going to get anybody better at the position.

CB Jalen Davis - Only played 56 snaps. PFF Grade - 69.3. Knows the system, won't cost much, bring him back.

LB Jordan Evans - We need improvement at Linebacker. Only played 44 snaps last year. Bring him back, let him go... Don't care

CB Trey Flowers - Let him go

CB Vernon Hargreaves - Should never see the field for this team again

LS Clark Harris - 37 years old. If he wants to keep playing, sign him.

DT - BJ Hill - Best trade this team has ever made. 26 years old. Should have a few years left in him. Sign him.

P - Kevin Huber - Resign him, bring somebody into camp to compete with him. I love the guy, but he's 36 years old and is starting to show it a little.

DT - Larry Ogunjobi - Played his ass off for us. Might surprise you to know his PFF grade is only 47.6. I don't know that I'd give him another 6 million dollar contract, but I do feel like he added more to this team than his PFF grade shows.

CB - Darius Phillips - I'll never understand why this guy doesn't get more playing time. If I were him, I'd jump ship. If they can bring him back, do it.

OT - Riley Rieff - Bring him back if you can. Like was said above. He's serviceable and we can work on improving the Interior of the Line. If you think Jackson Carman can play Right Tackle, use next year to start developing him

OG - Quinton Spain - He played okay. I'd try to bring him back.

WR - Auden Tate - If he wants to come back, bring him back. If he wants to , let him go. He's clearly not a top priority

WR - Mike Thomas - See Auden Tate, only a little less

DT - Josh Tupou - I'm not big on him, but he's fine for depth.

TE - CJ Uzomah - Resign and try and bring in another TE whether it be Gronk or somebody who's more of a blocking Tight End. I think CJ means a lot to this team, and we need to keep those guys while we've got the momentum.

4256 Hits

Post by 4256 Hits » Mon Feb 14, 2022 10:37 am

Good summary. Only small disagreement is that I would not put CJ that high on the re-sign priority list. He is an average TE that is starting to get old. If he is willing to sign a two year reasonable contract great bring him back. TE is clearly a spot that can be upgraded so if right FA is interested sign him. NFL guys expect teammates to leave I wouldn't be worried about team chemistry.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Mon Feb 14, 2022 10:56 am

Yeah, I pretty much agree with Jmble here. No need to go through the list for the umpteenth time... :roll:

Scooper

Post by Scooper » Mon Feb 14, 2022 11:00 am

I think CJ is better than average, but it doesn't show in the stat sheet or highlights because TE's not a focal point of the offense. But he's made a lot of clutch plays in traffic when needed, which is vital at that position. Not to mention, this team feels different than past teams. The attitude, swagger and chemistry are just better. Sure, some of that comes from winning, but it also contributes to winning, and CJ is clearly a locker room leader who is an important piece. It's best if he gets one more contract here. This offense is still very young and he can still provide veteran leadership while making plays.

That said, TE is a position that could use a little more young, talented depth. Kind of like how CJ started out. So if there is an option to add somebody with some upside without mortgaging another position, I think it's a good time to do so.

Jmble

Post by Jmble » Mon Feb 14, 2022 11:01 am

4256 Hits wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 10:37 am
Good summary. Only small disagreement is that I would not put CJ that high on the re-sign priority list. He is an average TE that is starting to get old. If he is willing to sign a two year reasonable contract great bring him back. TE is clearly a spot that can be upgraded so if right FA is interested sign him. NFL guys expect teammates to leave I wouldn't be worried about team chemistry.
I think that you are overestimating what I would do to resign CJ. I'm not giving the guy whatever he wants. I just think that you try to resign a guy who has meant a lot to the team and seemed to have good chemistry with Burrow.

I don't think anybody else is going to be throwing the bank at CJ. I think the Bengals should try to keep him with a reasonable contract for a 29 year old Tight End. Like I said, I also think we need to bring in somebody else at the position because Drew Sample sucks.

I don't believe this team is going to fall apart if they let Uzomah go. But I also think that you keep your leaders in the locker room if you can. I think they will resign him. I don't think he will break the bank. And I don't think he's going to put us in a position to not be able to take care of our other needs.

Exile

Post by Exile » Mon Feb 14, 2022 11:06 am

I’m with Jmble and scooper here. Great breakdown, j! I really like the idea of keeping CJ and getting a younger guy to develop behind him, if that’s feasible. Tricky though, because the draft is your best place to do that and then it’s a trade off.

I hope they’re aggressive about improving the o line in FA. The draft is such a crap shoot, especially when you’re at the bottom of the round.

skycruiser

Post by skycruiser » Mon Feb 14, 2022 11:24 am

i love how you all have immediately pivoted to offseason needs. now we're in our sweet spot aren't we! surprised mag doesn't have a 7 round mock up already

Zoo

Post by Zoo » Mon Feb 14, 2022 11:28 am

I'm definitely in the minority on bringing back Tre Flowers. I mean his value asset is on special teams. But, he's a tall corner and really played an integral part in our post season run by matching up against Waller and Kelce. So based on how he's used. I think he has more value than Stanley Morgan.

Scooper

Post by Scooper » Mon Feb 14, 2022 11:28 am

Yeah, let's go, mag! What's the holdup?

Zoo

Post by Zoo » Mon Feb 14, 2022 11:29 am

skycruiser wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 11:24 am
i love how you all have immediately pivoted to offseason needs. now we're in our sweet spot aren't we! surprised mag doesn't have a 7 round mock up already
Been around long enough to know don't dwell on the past.