Super Bowl LVI Game Thread.

Let's talk Cincinnati Bengals football!
Zoo

Re: Super Bowl LVI Game Thread.

Post by Zoo » Mon Feb 14, 2022 11:17 am

If I remember correctly when Zac was putting together his first staff he basically scrounging from the bottom of the barrel. At least he got smart and didn't continue to try and ignore the issue.

Mag

Post by Mag » Mon Feb 14, 2022 11:44 am

Bengals1 wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 10:49 am
Mag wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:00 am
Bengals1 wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 10:19 pm
The sad thing is this teams Achilles heal was the O-line all year and going back to last year and several years before.

We knew the O-line was poor....knew it. But we did little to fix it. Signing one tackle and drafting another in the 2nd round was never going to do it.

Didn't sign a Guard, didn't sign a Center. And the Tackle they did draft hardly saw the field and wasn't even used in the biggest game of the year. :roll:

Let's hope they've learned their lesson. Have we turned a corner...? Not till we address our biggest weakness, no.
Just stop with that BS. Did they do everything they needed to do to fix the OL? No. But they did way more than little. First, they shit-canned Turner. Turner is a piece of shit coach and a worse human being. I've heard that from 2 OL experts personally. Those experts also rave about Pollack so that is a huge improvement in coaching. Second, they drafted Carmen to fix RG and signed Reiff to temporarily fix RT. Carmen struggled with an injury all off season and into the season. He should be fine next year. Reiff also got hurt. Adeneji was supposed to compete. He had zero offseason due to injury. Still not fully healthy. He should improve next year. Smith, another rookie OL and Sua Filo also battled injuries.
I disagree.

They drafted Carmen to be the RT of the future. They knew Reiff only signed a 1-year contract and was most likely gone after this season. Why else take a career RT in the 2nd round instead of a career RG...? Their plan (and God forbid it may still be their plan :roll: ) Was to use Reiff as a stop-gap and let him go to some other team that would pay him NFL RT money next season, let Carmen get his feet wet at RG and then move him to RT, his "natural" spot next season. It's Oogie-Bogie and Whit all over again.

And who was it that hired Turner in the first place...? Yeah, Zac Taylor. So he's not above making the wrong call on coaches as well as draft picks and play calling. I 'll give him credit for dumping him for Pollack ASAP. At least he's not like Marvin and afraid to show he made a mistake, that's a point in Zac's favor.

Don't forget they had about 4-5 veteran O-linemen into camp for a look see and signed none of them. How do you think last nights game turns out if we had two of those veterans on the interior of our line instead of who we went into the game with...? Yeah.

Barack Obama was famously quoted as saying before the 2000 election, "Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to screw things up." Well, don't underestimate the Bengals ability to do the same. It was obvious to everyone and their dog the Bengals needed more help along the O-line before the season and they failed to fix it.....period.

We'll see if they've learned anything from last nights debacle but I'm not declaring them the next New England Patriots just yet....
You can disagree all you want, but you are still wrong. First, Carmen was a LT in his last year at Clemson not RT. Second, after he was picked, Pollack said he would compete at G. Said he could play tackle, but he was expected to be a guard. I am sure you can find those press conferences to double check.

Scooper

Post by Scooper » Mon Feb 14, 2022 11:47 am

Yeah. Carmen was never promised to be the RT of the future. Maybe some talking heads said it, but not the Bengals.

MeatHeadbengal

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Mon Feb 14, 2022 11:50 am

Mag wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 11:44 am
Bengals1 wrote:
Mag wrote:

Just stop with that BS. Did they do everything they needed to do to fix the OL? No. But they did way more than little. First, they shit-canned Turner. Turner is a piece of shit coach and a worse human being. I've heard that from 2 OL experts personally. Those experts also rave about Pollack so that is a huge improvement in coaching. Second, they drafted Carmen to fix RG and signed Reiff to temporarily fix RT. Carmen struggled with an injury all off season and into the season. He should be fine next year. Reiff also got hurt. Adeneji was supposed to compete. He had zero offseason due to injury. Still not fully healthy. He should improve next year. Smith, another rookie OL and Sua Filo also battled injuries.
I disagree.

They drafted Carmen to be the RT of the future. They knew Reiff only signed a 1-year contract and was most likely gone after this season. Why else take a career RT in the 2nd round instead of a career RG...? Their plan (and God forbid it may still be their plan :roll: ) Was to use Reiff as a stop-gap and let him go to some other team that would pay him NFL RT money next season, let Carmen get his feet wet at RG and then move him to RT, his "natural" spot next season. It's Oogie-Bogie and Whit all over again.

And who was it that hired Turner in the first place...? Yeah, Zac Taylor. So he's not above making the wrong call on coaches as well as draft picks and play calling. I 'll give him credit for dumping him for Pollack ASAP. At least he's not like Marvin and afraid to show he made a mistake, that's a point in Zac's favor.

Don't forget they had about 4-5 veteran O-linemen into camp for a look see and signed none of them. How do you think last nights game turns out if we had two of those veterans on the interior of our line instead of who we went into the game with...? Yeah.

Barack Obama was famously quoted as saying before the 2000 election, "Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to screw things up." Well, don't underestimate the Bengals ability to do the same. It was obvious to everyone and their dog the Bengals needed more help along the O-line before the season and they failed to fix it.....period.

We'll see if they've learned anything from last nights debacle but I'm not declaring them the next New England Patriots just yet....
You can disagree all you want, but you are still wrong. First, Carmen was a LT in his last year at Clemson not RT. Second, after he was picked, Pollack said he would compete at G. Said he could play tackle, but he was expected to be a guard. I am sure you can find those press conferences to double check.

Zoo

Post by Zoo » Mon Feb 14, 2022 11:53 am

Overview
Carman might be able to offer emergency tackle value at the next level but he is better-suited for a move inside to guard. Regardless of position, he needs to improve placement and sustain with his hands to help stay connected as a blocker. He has enough pop to handle man-blocking duties inside and has adequate athleticism to go with his wide frame to help improve leaky interior pass protection. His footwork creates unorthodox fits into the block and that will need to be corrected or NFL defensive tackles will send him crashing to the ground. His lunging, lingering punch can be tightened up with more work so that he lands his heavy hands without worrying about being countered by hand-fighters. Carman has starting potential as a guard with emergency value at right tackle.

Strengths
Diversified pass protection approach in 2020.
Willing to set out on top of rushers early in rep.
Throws hands quickly, looking for early advantage.
Makes opponents feel his heavy hands.
Effective use of snatch-and-trap technique.
Clear eyes see exotic rush packages and twists.
Enough recovery athleticism to work rusher past pocket.
Generates good deal of push when he centers up on the block.
Understands leverage to widen edge defenders on kick-outs.
Very good timing on combos up to linebackers.
Adequate reactive agility to adjust in space.
Upper-body power to protect his edges.

Weaknesses
High hands cause him to slide up and off the block.
Quicker hand resets would improve sustain.
Needs to bring feet with him into down blocks.
Struggles finding his way to back-side block.
Benefited from shallow drop points from his quarterback.
Lunges, leaving hands extended for rushers to swipe and chop.
Doesn't clamp in with hands to control rusher.
Could struggle with edge speed and inside counters at tackle.
Had weight management and accountability issues early in his career.

MeatHeadbengal

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Mon Feb 14, 2022 11:57 am

Mag wrote:
Bengals1 wrote:
Mag wrote:

I disagree.

Yes, yes and more Yes!!! Thank you! I've felt this way since we drafted him but the squeaky wheel gets the grease around here (B1).

For the love of GOD people, Mag actually talked to the guys that trained him, they know a whole lot more then we do and if he's got that information you would be best to listen. However we all know listening isn't one of B1's strong points. Mine either honestly.

MeatHeadbengal

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Mon Feb 14, 2022 11:59 am

Zoo wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 11:53 am
Overview
Carman might be able to offer emergency tackle value at the next level but he is better-suited for a move inside to guard. Regardless of position, he needs to improve placement and sustain with his hands to help stay connected as a blocker. He has enough pop to handle man-blocking duties inside and has adequate athleticism to go with his wide frame to help improve leaky interior pass protection. His footwork creates unorthodox fits into the block and that will need to be corrected or NFL defensive tackles will send him crashing to the ground. His lunging, lingering punch can be tightened up with more work so that he lands his heavy hands without worrying about being countered by hand-fighters. Carman has starting potential as a guard with emergency value at right tackle.

Strengths
Diversified pass protection approach in 2020.
Willing to set out on top of rushers early in rep.
Throws hands quickly, looking for early advantage.
Makes opponents feel his heavy hands.
Effective use of snatch-and-trap technique.
Clear eyes see exotic rush packages and twists.
Enough recovery athleticism to work rusher past pocket.
Generates good deal of push when he centers up on the block.
Understands leverage to widen edge defenders on kick-outs.
Very good timing on combos up to linebackers.
Adequate reactive agility to adjust in space.
Upper-body power to protect his edges.

Weaknesses
High hands cause him to slide up and off the block.
Quicker hand resets would improve sustain.
Needs to bring feet with him into down blocks.
Struggles finding his way to back-side block.
Benefited from shallow drop points from his quarterback.
Lunges, leaving hands extended for rushers to swipe and chop.
Doesn't clamp in with hands to control rusher.
Could struggle with edge speed and inside counters at tackle.
Had weight management and accountability issues early in his career.
This says nothing that the Bengals intend to make him a tackle.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Mon Feb 14, 2022 12:08 pm

Mag wrote:
No, they never came out and said Carmen was earmarked for our RT of the future. But Dehner Jr and several other Cincy Sportswriters said that was the teams plans. I didn't just make that up out of whole cloth. Why else draft a tackle, regardless of whether he spent more time at LT or RT and expect him to be a Guard his entire NFL career...?

They knew Reiff was almost certainly leaving after this season and they took Carmen to play Guard for now with an eye to his being Reiff's eventual replacement. Everybody with eyes saw it....

MeatHeadbengal

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Mon Feb 14, 2022 12:14 pm

Bengals1 wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 12:08 pm
They knew Reiff was almost certainly leaving after this season and they took Carmen to play Guard for now with an eye to his being Reiff's eventual replacement. Everybody with eyes saw it....
I don't think you are right here. Reiff signed the 1 year deal because of cap space, not because he was going to be a 1 and done. I have been saying this for a while and I stand by this I don't think the Bengals intended on drafting Carman for Tackle, but only time will tell. You can say everyone with eyes saw that, but in reality everyone with eyes doesn't mean that's what's actually going to happen. Everyone thought they should have drafted Sewell too but we got Chase and we got to the SB. I'm sorry but the talking heads on TV don't know shit, you'd be smart to listen to a guy that's actually got insider info like Mag after talking with ppl in the know.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Mon Feb 14, 2022 12:20 pm

MeatHeadbengal wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 12:14 pm
Bengals1 wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 12:08 pm
I don't think you are right here. Reiff signed the 1 year deal because of cap space, not because he was going to be a 1 and done. I have been saying this for a while and I stand by this I don't think the Bengals intended on drafting Carman for Tackle, but only time will tell. You can say everyone with eyes saw that, but in reality everyone with eyes doesn't mean that's what's actually going to happen. Everyone thought they should have drafted Sewell too but we got Chase and we got to the SB. I'm sorry but the talking heads on TV don't know shit, you'd be smart to listen to a guy that's actually got insider info like Mag after talking with ppl in the know.
Sports writers get their info from speaking to people on the team or close to it. They don't just make stuff up out of the ether. Reiff signed a one-year deal because of the cap, that's true. But again, most everyone who writes about the Bengals admitted they were just renting him for the season and he would most likely sign a bigger/longer contract with someone else after the season.

Then they go out and draft a career Tackle with their second pick. Hmmmmm........ :roll: