Pronunciation

Let's talk Cincinnati Bengals football!
Mag

Pronunciation

Post by Mag » Wed Feb 02, 2022 8:40 am

I have seen this going around on social media:
Here’s a little History/English lesson
The Bangles (Bang-els) were an all girl band from the ‘80’s-‘90’s lead by Susanna Hoffs and had such hit songs as “Walk Like An Egyptian” , “Manic Monday”, and “Eternal Flame” just to name a few.
The BENGALS (Bing-els) are a professional football franchise located in Cincinnati Ohio. They appeared in Super Bowls 16 (1982) and 23 (in 1989) and are currently lead by 2nd year QB Joe Burrow who has them in this year’s SB LVI (56)
They are 2 totally different groups of people, lead by 2 totally different sexes…1 is still currently on tour (BENGALS) while the other quit touring years ago (The Bangles)
And yes…I had a crush on Susanna Hoffs when I was 14, just like my daughter (who is 14)has a crush on Joe Burrow.
Please NFL analysts and sports commentators everywhere….pronounce them the correct way!!!!
So i grew up in SW Ohio and I am 43. Been a fan as long as i can remember. Never have I pronounced it like Bing. Only dipshit Browns and Steelers fans pronounced it that way in my experience. How do you all pronounce it?

Note: As a biologist and someone who has been to South Asia to see Bengal tigers in the wild, I can say for a certainty that the proper pronunciation is closer to a hard a sound like BANG.

orange_black

Re: Pronunciation

Post by orange_black » Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:54 am

Ben-guls

Joe the Sot

Post by Joe the Sot » Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:57 am

Mag wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 8:40 am
I have seen this going around on social media:
Here’s a little History/English lesson
The Bangles (Bang-els) were an all girl band from the ‘80’s-‘90’s lead by Susanna Hoffs and had such hit songs as “Walk Like An Egyptian” , “Manic Monday”, and “Eternal Flame” just to name a few.
The BENGALS (Bing-els) are a professional football franchise located in Cincinnati Ohio. They appeared in Super Bowls 16 (1982) and 23 (in 1989) and are currently lead by 2nd year QB Joe Burrow who has them in this year’s SB LVI (56)
They are 2 totally different groups of people, lead by 2 totally different sexes…1 is still currently on tour (BENGALS) while the other quit touring years ago (The Bangles)
And yes…I had a crush on Susanna Hoffs when I was 14, just like my daughter (who is 14)has a crush on Joe Burrow.
Please NFL analysts and sports commentators everywhere….pronounce them the correct way!!!!
So i grew up in SW Ohio and I am 43. Been a fan as long as i can remember. Never have I pronounced it like Bing. Only dipshit Browns and Steelers fans pronounced it that way in my experience. How do you all pronounce it?

Note: As a biologist and someone who has been to South Asia to see Bengal tigers in the wild, I can say for a certainty that the proper pronunciation is closer to a hard a sound like BANG.
I just don’t get why it is so hard to say Bengal I don’t hear anyone on the coverage say it and the fact it has an ‘e’ in it seems to be completely lost. It is one of my favourite rants when watching the football😂. I know any English person (albeit it’s not an English team) would pronounce it as it is spelt and as Bengals.

Joe the Sot

Post by Joe the Sot » Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:02 am

A quick look at YouTube (not sure that is necessarily the font of all knowledge 😉) would suggest that there is indeed an ‘e’ in it which should be included in the pronunciation 😂.

Joe the Sot

Post by Joe the Sot » Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:03 am

You know it’s a long two weeks when:
See above ⬆️

orange_black

Post by orange_black » Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:30 am

you do not pronounce the "a". pronouncing the "a" means you are referring to the cheerleaders.

it is pronounced ben-guls

Scooper

Post by Scooper » Wed Feb 02, 2022 2:18 pm

Ay ef see Champs.

skycruiser

Post by skycruiser » Wed Feb 02, 2022 5:19 pm

Bun-gulls

orange_black

Post by orange_black » Wed Feb 02, 2022 5:36 pm