I was wrong

Let's talk Cincinnati Bengals football!
Bengals1

Re: I was wrong

Post by Bengals1 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:06 pm

stripesincarolina wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:00 pm
Agreed. He managed his coaching persona very standoff-ish and came across that way. I do know a couple of people that know him personally and said he's one of the nicest guys you could ever meet. Big time family guy.
Yes, I've run into people who either knew Marvin personally or met him at public events and said he was very warm and kind and would talk to anybody with no real ego.

Exile

Post by Exile » Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:09 pm

It’s just fascinating to me, watching the coaching carousel, from Urban on down, fascinating how some of these guys, who’ve obviously been really good at some aspect(s) of coaching can’t keep the trust of their team and ownership, but despite two terrible seasons, Zac still had the trust at least if the young core of this team, as well as of the Browns, and it paid off. There’sa lot that we’d all still like to see Zac get better at, but there’s something to be said for building culture, and he seems to have done that incredibly well. As some of you’ve mentioned, he seems like a genuinely good guy, and that’s part of it, but obviously there’s more to it than that. I don’t know.

skycruiser

Post by skycruiser » Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:08 am

Bengals1 wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:27 am
Zac had to learn as he went along, he admitted that himself. Some of his early blunders were difficult to stomach and cost us a few games in the early part of the season. But to his credit he got better although to be fair, he's still not perfected the whole play calling thing. (witness the last series last night :roll: )

Still, his giving a game ball to the city and the fans and to SoP by name showed class and going out to bars and restaurants afterward and actually delivering game balls to fans in person was a noble gesture for sure.

He's still learning on the job and he should get better. He also has a lot of talent on this team to help him along the way. Let's not gloss over that aspect of his success...
Btw this is as close to a “I was wrong” post from B1 as you’ll ever get

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:00 am

skycruiser wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:08 am
Bengals1 wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:27 am
Zac had to learn as he went along, he admitted that himself. Some of his early blunders were difficult to stomach and cost us a few games in the early part of the season. But to his credit he got better although to be fair, he's still not perfected the whole play calling thing. (witness the last series last night :roll: )

Still, his giving a game ball to the city and the fans and to SoP by name showed class and going out to bars and restaurants afterward and actually delivering game balls to fans in person was a noble gesture for sure.

He's still learning on the job and he should get better. He also has a lot of talent on this team to help him along the way. Let's not gloss over that aspect of his success...
Btw this is as close to a “I was wrong” post from B1 as you’ll ever get
If I'm ever wrong I'll let you know.... 8-)

orange_black

Post by orange_black » Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:18 am

i may have to eat some crow here as well.

I've always been harping that we are winning DESPITE zac on the sidelines....

in a way, i still feel that way, mostly because of play calling..... and how good Burrow is.

but still he deserves credit. he was our head coach when we broke the curse. so Congrats, Zac!

MeatHeadbengal

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:49 am

orange_black wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:18 am

in a way, i still feel that way, mostly because of play calling..... and how good Burrow is.

but still he deserves credit. he was our head coach when we broke the curse. so Congrats, Zac!
You sound like the guy sitting in front of my wife and I at the game. He literally pouted like a child after our last offensive possession until the INT.

Jmble

Post by Jmble » Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:00 pm

MeatHeadbengal wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:49 am
orange_black wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:18 am

You sound like the guy sitting in front of my wife and I at the game. He literally pouted like a child after our last offensive possession until the INT.
To be fair, I think when the Raiders got the ball back with that much time on the clock, the vast majority of us felt a little bit of 'hear we go again'.

Aceking
Site Admin

Post by Aceking » Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:36 pm

In the long run, I think the only thing that really matters is whether or not Burrow feels he's the right coach. I question a fair amount of his playcalling, but sometimes it's done to set up a misdirection later. Or to establish Mixon early (even if it's not working) to wear them down and get him in a groove for later. He's not later years Marvin Lewis who had given up on life. He seems engaged. If Joe's happy I'm happy.

MeatHeadbengal

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:20 pm

I think it's extremely too easy to sit back and criticize the HC, QB, whoever after the fact. Play calling is an art, not something you can just learn. I've witnessed this in my own coaching experiences, and some guys just don't have the skill to do it. It's easy for folks to say this play call is bad here or there and complain. Honestly that's human nature, but that doesn't make you right. In the heat of the game plays called are all called for a reason and we aren't the ones with the headset on and aren't in the know. Zach has done a very good job with this team, he could have lost the locker room in his first 2 years but he didn't. He got rid of the guys that we're buying in and took a team predicted to finish last in the AFCN to win the AFCN. Not only that but won our first playoff game since I was 12!! I don't like getting on the fire coach bandwagon because I've had experiences on those sidelines and understand that us fans have NO Firetrucking Clue what goes on behind the scenes. We are all very ignorant to what's really going on in this organization and honestly I see the product on the field getting better and better so I'm happy.

Joe Burrow has the highest QBR over the last 5 games in NFL history! We're going in the right direction and that's undeniably.