I was wrong

Let's talk Cincinnati Bengals football!
Mag

I was wrong

Post by Mag » Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:05 am

I was one of Zac's biggest critics. He was too inexperienced. He was too loyal to dipshits like Jim Turner. To an extent I was right. But he got rid of a few dipshit coaches and replaced them with upgrades. He was smart enough to take Borrow. He was even smarter to pair him with Chase. Those players would make almost any coach look good, but the important thing is he trusts those players to do their thing.

To top it off, he did something really cool after the game. He gave a game ball to the city and fans. Then he personally went out on the town and brought it to the fans. That type of access and deliberate connection with fans shows grace and a subtle greatness. He's earned his place in the hearts of fans.

4256 Hits

Re: I was wrong

Post by 4256 Hits » Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:20 am

I am in same situation. I believe here I called Taylor the next Dave Shula. While I do think he is far from a great coach and Burrow did lots to cover some of his flaws he has come a long way and could someday become great coach.

skycruiser

Post by skycruiser » Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:30 am

That’s my coach

Joe Bananas

Post by Joe Bananas » Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:24 am

Like I said last night? He has accomplished something NO other coach has in over 30 years, let that sink in. With ALLLLLLL the talent we have had since 1990, All the coaches we have had since 1990, it was Zac. It was Zac and Joe B. And to be honest, if they never do anything else they are automatically Legends. Hands down Legends. Not Marvin, Zac, not Palmer, Joe, not Chad, But Chase. ALLLLL Legends, period.
I was crazy back when being crazy really meant something.

Joe the Sot

Post by Joe the Sot » Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:10 am

He’s not a complete idiot I’ll give him that😂.
In his interview he said something along the lines of he’s learned to shut up and let burrow get on with it, that seems a sound strategy!
The team seem to love him, not unusual when they are winning but to be fair they have been consistent in their praise of Zac.
I still like most have issues with play calling (I think Burrow does a better job when left alone) and perhaps my biggest irritation is game management and wasting time outs.
All in all I am good with not stringing him up in the town square… yet😉.
All joking aside we could do worse and as others said very classy with the game balls.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:27 am

Zac had to learn as he went along, he admitted that himself. Some of his early blunders were difficult to stomach and cost us a few games in the early part of the season. But to his credit he got better although to be fair, he's still not perfected the whole play calling thing. (witness the last series last night :roll: )

Still, his giving a game ball to the city and the fans and to SoP by name showed class and going out to bars and restaurants afterward and actually delivering game balls to fans in person was a noble gesture for sure.

He's still learning on the job and he should get better. He also has a lot of talent on this team to help him along the way. Let's not gloss over that aspect of his success...

Mag

Post by Mag » Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:34 pm

So basically he's Ted Lasso... :lol:

stripesincarolina

Post by stripesincarolina » Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:53 pm

Rocky start, but he is doing all the right things to get better and certainly is more publicly likeable than Marvin. (To be fair, behind the scenes Marvin is a fantastic gentlemen that everyone likes). So you don't fire him and you give him room to learn from his mistakes. I admit many times we are more critical of him during a game and then learn a couple days later why certain calls were made out of necessity.
Seeking Superbowls

Joe Bananas

Post by Joe Bananas » Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:59 pm

stripesincarolina wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:53 pm
Rocky start, but he is doing all the right things to get better and certainly is more publicly likeable than Marvin. (To be fair, behind the scenes Marvin is a fantastic gentlemen that everyone likes). So you don't fire him and you give him room to learn from his mistakes. I admit many times we are more critical of him during a game and then learn a couple days later why certain calls were made out of necessity.
Seems like Marvin was a dick.
I was crazy back when being crazy really meant something.

stripesincarolina

Post by stripesincarolina » Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:00 pm

Joe Bananas wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:59 pm
stripesincarolina wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:53 pm
Seems like Marvin was a dick.
Agreed. He managed his coaching persona very standoff-ish and came across that way. I do know a couple of people that know him personally and said he's one of the nicest guys you could ever meet. Big time family guy.
Seeking Superbowls