John Madden dead at 85.

Let's talk Cincinnati Bengals football!
Bengals1

John Madden dead at 85.

Post by Bengals1 » Tue Dec 28, 2021 7:34 pm

Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet)
John Madden, a legend, has passed away at 85.

The NFL coaching and broadcasting legend who's also the namesake of the famed "Madden" video game franchise -- has died, the NFL announced.

He was 85 years old.

The league said he passed away unexpectedly on Tuesday morning.

"Nobody loved football more than Coach," NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said in a statement Tuesday evening. "He was football. He was an incredible sounding board to me and so many others."

"There will never be another John Madden, and we will forever be indebted to him for all he did to make football and the NFL what it is today."

Madden is one of the most iconic figures in NFL history -- he dominated as a head coach of the Oakland Raiders, winning Super Bowl XI and finishing his career with a 103-32-7 record.

After his time as a head man on the sidelines ended, he went on to become one of the greatest color commentators ever -- famously teaming up with Pat Summerall to break down key NFL games for decades.

He was eventually inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 2006 -- and his popular terms "Boom!" and "Turducken" are still used around NFL broadcast booths to this day.

"I am not aware of anyone who has made a more meaningful impact on the National Football League than John Madden," Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said in a statement Tuesday. "And I know of no one who loved the game more."

Madden, though, is perhaps most known for his association with the insanely popular "Madden" football video game.

Casual fans, NFL players, and even coaches around the league play it religiously ... and the franchise -- which comes out with a new iteration yearly -- is reportedly worth around $4 billion.

Madden also gained fame in his career for his role as a pitchman -- he hawked products like Miller Lite and Tinactin, and appeared in notable commercials regularly.

Madden is survived by his wife Virginia, and his two sons, Joseph and Michael.

RIP.

Joe Bananas

Re: John Madden dead at 85.

Post by Joe Bananas » Tue Dec 28, 2021 10:15 pm

Sad day. He was probably my favorite announcer. Him, Summerall both set the tone for a football game when they were announcing. Loved his drawings, sayings, everything about the guy was fun and enjoyable.

2 guys that stood out to me when I was a youngin watching sports was Madden and listening to Marv Albert call an NBA Championship game during the Bulls/Lakers/Celtics and Pistons Era.

RIP Coach/HoF'er/Announcer. Truly the best for me.
I was crazy back when being crazy really meant something.

orange_black

Post by orange_black » Wed Dec 29, 2021 4:01 pm

Joe Bananas wrote: ↑
Tue Dec 28, 2021 10:15 pm
Sad day. He was probably my favorite announcer. Him, Summerall both set the tone for a football game when they were announcing. Loved his drawings, sayings, everything about the guy was fun and enjoyable.

2 guys that stood out to me when I was a youngin watching sports was Madden and listening to Marv Albert call an NBA Championship game during the Bulls/Lakers/Celtics and Pistons Era.

RIP Coach/HoF'er/Announcer. Truly the best for me.
I agree. I used to love listening to Madden call games. And then there was his breakdown of plays.. with his "BOOMS" and "BAMS". this was a man who truly loved the sport.

I know there were alot of people that disliked his commentary, but i never understood why.

RIP Coach

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Wed Dec 29, 2021 5:44 pm

My favorite Madden moment was when he and Summerall were doing Super Bowl XXIV between the Broncos and Niners.

The Niners were just blowing out the Broncos. It's widely regarded as one of if not thee worst Super Bowl blow-outs to date.

In the third quarter with the Broncos like five touch downs behind Summerall commented on how there was no quit in the Denver players. Madden just went off...."Quit!?!.....QUIT!?!....of course there's no quit in them! You can't quit!!......they don't let you quit!!! "

I always thought the same thing when some announcer would say that. To hear John Madden scream it out loud was hysterical!! :lol:

He was one of a kind alright.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Sat Jan 01, 2022 11:09 am

Around The NFL [i](@AroundTheNFL)[/i]
𝗕π—₯π—˜π—”π—žπ—œπ—‘π—š: Dan Reeves, who was a head coach of the Broncos, Giants and Falcons after playing with the Cowboys, has died at the age of 77. Reeves participated in nine Super Bowls as a coach and

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Sat Jan 01, 2022 11:10 am

Around The NFL (@AroundTheNFL)
𝗕π—₯π—˜π—”π—žπ—œπ—‘π—š: Dan Reeves, who was a head coach of the Broncos, Giants and Falcons after playing with the Cowboys, has died at the age of 77. Reeves participated in nine Super Bowls as a coach and player.

stripesincarolina

Post by stripesincarolina » Sat Jan 01, 2022 11:54 am

Dear 2022 and Father Time, can we just start with the elderly politicians please? Lets leave the rest of the nice old folks for a bit longer, M'kay?

Sad stuff.
Seeking Superbowls

orange_black

Post by orange_black » Sat Jan 01, 2022 8:57 pm

stripesincarolina wrote: ↑
Sat Jan 01, 2022 11:54 am
Dear 2022 and Father Time, can we just start with the elderly politicians please? Lets leave the rest of the nice old folks for a bit longer, M'kay?

Sad stuff.
Concurrence

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:29 am

:(

Geoff Hobson (@GeoffHobsonCin)
Bengals Super Bowl Stalwart Ross Browner Passes At 67; "He brought sunshine into the locker room.