Let's talk Cincinnati Bengals football!
Joe Bananas

Re: Our 2 game season

Post by Joe Bananas » Wed Dec 29, 2021 7:12 pm

4256 Hits wrote:
Wed Dec 29, 2021 7:01 pm
Jmble wrote:
Wed Dec 29, 2021 3:02 pm

This is a serious question. I'm not looking to argue, I'm honestly curious.

Things are obviously changing since Katie has become more prevalent. New Uniforms, better Social Media presence/marketing, free agent spending is up/some players actually want to play here, a Ring of Honor has finally been added.

There's till plenty more to go, but what do you need to see to become a believer that the organization has changed to the point that you no longer believe it's "the same old Bengals"

Somehow beating KC?

Winning a playoff game?

Winning multiple playoff games?

Drafting an O-Lineman in the first round? Signing a high quality lineman in free agency?

I'm asking B1 specifically, but anybody can feel free to answer this.
For me it is winning a play-off game back to back years or making play-offs 3 years in a row and winning 2 play-off games.
Yeah for me it like I said earlier, just win. I think for me I see a change Jmble in spending, marketing, Wall of honor or ring of honor. Uniforms, etc,. Bigger name FAs. But for me it has to be this;

Beat teams like KC, Green Bay, Bucs. But the real deal is winning play off games, getting to an AFC Championship game, being competitive against top notch teams each year and not just beating the lions, he injured rats, the lowly steelers every 3 or 4 weeks.

I want us on the same pat as the 80s Bengals.

But yes, I truly believe there's been a change for the organization as a whole but they have to take the next huge step and that's being in the same conversation as Roger's, Mahomes, the elites, the teams that compete every year for a super bowl. Maybe that's to much to ask. I dunno.
I was crazy back when being crazy really meant something.

MeatHeadbengal

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:54 am

Looks like Logan Wilson might be able to play on Sunday. This could be huge.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:29 am

Yesterday was our oldest boy's birthday and things were hectic around the house. I didn't really get a chance to answer Jmble's question fully. So here goes...

Yes, I see the things you're referring to J, the ring of honor, the new Uni's (still ugly :x ) the community out reach etc....

But that's all window dressing, its nice but it doesn't win games. What do they need to do to show me there's really been a sea change within the football side of the organization...? Glad you asked.....

A. Sign Bates and Reiff. Don't use the Franchise tag on Bates, don't make the negotiations drag out till mid-summer etc... sign them. And both to long term contracts. Show the fans you're committed to winning and winning now by keeping your best players and not making them jump through hoops to get an extension. The unspoken signal they're sending to the other players, teams and fans when they drag out these contract talks is "Yes we want to win.....but only on a budget." They've come a ways in player contracts but not far enough imo.

B. Sign two starter quality interior O-lineman this off season. Don't just sign "bodies" or Journeymen second string type players at the end of the Free Agency period who became desperate to sign anywhere. Aggressively seek out and sign players that are going to come in here and help keep your star QB upright and alive immediately. Recognize publicly you've got a weak area and address it. Similar to the way KC did after last years debacle in the Super Bowl.

C. Aggressively seek out and sign another starting quality Linebacker. Just like point B above, address a long standing weak point on the team. Don't wait for some ageing veteran with questionable skills and knees to get cut by some other team late in camp. Bring in solid players and sign one during the first two weeks or so of Free Agency and shore up a weak spot....period.

D. Use the first pick in next April's draft to take a player at one of the following positions: CB, LB, OL.TE. Don't look for "bargains" amongst the college players that were hurt last season and have fallen. Recognize you don't have the kind of team that's deep enough to take a chance like that. Make a solid pick at a position of need. I'd rather have the 4th best CB than the 2nd best RB because some player slipped down to us due to injury or suspension etc... Start acting like the 1st pick in the draft is meant to be used on a player that will pay immediate dividends and stop trying to outsmart yourself.

E. Try moving up in the draft to get the player you really need in the 2nd or 3rd round even if it means giving away 5th, 6th or 7th round spots or even spots next year. Act like getting the best handful of players this year is important enough to sacrifice a little bit of our short-range future. In other words...act like you want to win while Joe Burrow is young and still has his health.

F. Cut "Junior" Samples and Trae Waynes. Admit you made a mistake and just cut your losses. Don't keep them around in the desperate hope that Samples learns how to catch and Waynes finally stays healthy. Recognize you need players that are going to help you win now....not at some nebulous time in the future. The future for Burrow and by extension the Bengals is now, not 3 or 4 years from now. Act like it and make player personnel decisions accordingly.

Rings of Honor, Ticket giveaways, new uniforms, fan promotions etc....are all great and in some cases long overdue. But commit your resources to winning games, play-off games and yes....Super Bowls! Nobody on a ring of honor ever helped his team currently win a Super Bowl. Its nice....but it doesn't win games.

Do these things I've outlined here and then I'll believe SoP and the Bengals organization is actually committed to winning the way a normal NFL franchise is. And not at a bargain...... :roll:

skycruiser

Post by skycruiser » Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:56 pm

So is this like uh the prediction thread too?

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Thu Dec 30, 2021 10:50 pm

skycruiser wrote:
Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:56 pm
So is this like uh the prediction thread too?
KC still has something to play for....

KC 31
Bungles 21

And just like that the game in Cleveland is now the entire season....

TheBurn

Post by TheBurn » Fri Dec 31, 2021 6:33 am

this is their "we've arrived and we're furreals" statement game...

Cats 30, Chiefs 28

MeatHeadbengal

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:27 am

TheBurn wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 6:33 am
this is their "we've arrived and we're furreals" statement game...

Cats 30, Chiefs 28
I agree with this

I think we win this game, I think our offense is better and I truly feel we have the better QB. Sure I think Mahomes is really good but I think Burrow's better and our weapons are really good. I think we match up really well against their defense and it's going to be a race to who gets to 35 points first. Burrow players pretty well against blitz man and that's pretty much all KC runs.

Bengals 38
KC 35

Jmble

Post by Jmble » Fri Dec 31, 2021 12:46 pm

From Jay Morrison today

Taylor says Logan Wilson had a great week of practice and is ready to go. Same for Khalid Kareem.

He expects Brandon Allen to be back as well (Not that we want him to play)

He also says if Pratt has 2 negative tests before Sunday, he would create a role for him even though he didn't practice all week.

Based on timeline alone he can't come back til Monday. But he can test out of the timeline with two negative samples before the game. Time obviously is running out for that, but still a possibility.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Fri Dec 31, 2021 2:15 pm

Because.......of course. :roll:

Paul Dehner Jr. (@pauldehnerjr)
Trenton Irwin and Trae Waynes placed on reserve/COVID-19 list by the #Bengals. They will both miss Sunday’s game.

Waynes finally returns for two weeks and know he’s out again. Expect Vernon Hargreaves to be active now.

skycruiser

Post by skycruiser » Sat Jan 01, 2022 1:59 pm

Might as well scout CB with our first round pick

Here’s my thoughts (not that you care)

Travis Kelce is going to destroy us. If he was still out, I’d give cincy the nod. Even with Clyde EH out we still won’t be able to keep up with KC. They’ll get up early, we’ll claw back, but in the end they’ll put us away with Kelce

KC 31
Cats 27