Let's talk Cincinnati Bengals football!
Joe Bananas

Re: Cats/Niners Game Thread.

Post by Joe Bananas » Sun Dec 12, 2021 9:44 pm

Paul Dehner Jr.
@pauldehnerjr
·
2h
Bengals get to the 26 yard line then run on first and second down. Take the light box bait again.

Sets up third and 3 and sack.

McPherson hits the FG from 41.

Bengals need a stop for the win.
I was crazy back when being crazy really meant something.

Joe Bananas

Post by Joe Bananas » Sun Dec 12, 2021 9:47 pm

Paul Dehner Jr.
@pauldehnerjr
The 49ers go 75 yards in 7 plays for the win.

Bengals didn't go for the jugular when they had the chance on the previous drive. And they pay for it.

Play conservative ball when the other team is getting ready to go balls to the wall and you'll lose every single time. This is the exact reason Marvin Lewis is no longer HC of this team or any other team. I can't tell you how many times, and you guys will agree, that how many times did we see Marvin do this exact same thing. Play not to lose is the Bengals way....always has been.

skycruiser

Post by skycruiser » Sun Dec 12, 2021 9:57 pm

Pretty sure I can just copy/paste from the last few games:

We just simply cannot stop shooting our selves in the wang

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:10 pm

Joe Bananas wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 9:42 pm
Paul Dehner Jr. @pauldehnerjr
Taylor asked about not riding Burrow as the hot hand at end of OT. Admits it feels like an error. “Yeah. I agree with you. That’s one that will keep you up at night.”
That's one that should keep you unemployed at night....

MeatHeadbengal

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:19 pm

Joe Bananas wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 9:44 pm
Paul Dehner Jr.
@pauldehnerjr
·
2h
Bengals get to the 26 yard line then run on first and second down. Take the light box bait again.

Again it's easy to sit here and be arm chair coach or QB, and it's even easier to blame the coach instead of the players who are actually playing the game. Again, did Zach muff 2 punts? Did Zach miss a FG? Did Zach drop a game sealing INT?

Joe Bananas

Post by Joe Bananas » Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:46 pm

MeatHeadbengal wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:19 pm
Joe Bananas wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 9:44 pm
Paul Dehner Jr.
@pauldehnerjr
·
2h

Again it's easy to sit here and be arm chair coach or QB, and it's even easier to blame the coach instead of the players who are actually playing the game. Again, did Zach muff 2 punts? Did Zach miss a FG? Did Zach drop a game sealing INT?
No he didn't. And I didn't like the 2 back to back running plays when it was live, let alone 5 hours later. It stunk to high heaven of playing not to lose, just like the Lewis days.

I'm not at all saying that series cost us the game, hardly one play ever does. What I'm saying is that coaching and playing 101 teaches you not to ever kill momentum and Zac did. Zac gets paid millions a year to coach. Zac should know better. .... don't be a Zac

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:21 pm

Zac Taylor has never won a game when trailing entering the 4th quarter.

A perfect 0-24.

skycruiser

Post by skycruiser » Mon Dec 13, 2021 5:49 am

I’m with meat on this one. Sure he should have let Joe win the game and I’m positive he’ll do that down the line, but let’s not forget we HAD NO ANSWER FOR NICK BOSA so I don’t blame him for not just letting it rip

The vin bell BS penalty, bates who thinks he’s the best safety but can’t catch, the fact we HAD NO ANSWER FOR KITTLES, etc, etc doesn’t all fall on Zach’s in game management. At least we see half time adjustments and the ability to manage the game clock

Joe Bananas

Post by Joe Bananas » Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:47 am

skycruiser wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 5:49 am
I’m with meat on this one. Sure he should have let Joe win the game and I’m positive he’ll do that down the line, but let’s not forget we HAD NO ANSWER FOR NICK BOSA so I don’t blame him for not just letting it rip

The vin bell BS penalty, bates who thinks he’s the best safety but can’t catch, the fact we HAD NO ANSWER FOR KITTLES, etc, etc doesn’t all fall on Zach’s in game management. At least we see half time adjustments and the ability to manage the game clock
I mean yeah. I'm not hell bent saying its all on Taylor. I think the playing not to lose in OT is and not having an answer for Kittle is. I'm sorry, but he's head coach. Saying he had no answer for Kittle means the HC and OC for 9ers are smarter than he is.

You know that's why we have CBS and Safetys right? A CB and Safety means they didn't have the hands to become WRs so they stuck those kinda guys on defense.

I do agree that there are some things about Zac I really like. We do make adjustments, that's huge for me and something I totally love they do.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:59 am

Zac admitted it was a mistake to run Mixon twice into the line during our OT drive. He's said if he had it to do over again he'd probably put the ball into Burrow's hands during that last set of downs.

Zac Taylor may be a fine head coach someday, but that day is not today. He's learning the ropes as he goes along and after he leaves here he'll move on and become a decent head coach in Seattle after Carrol leaves or for the Colts or Giants etc... He'll use all the lessons he learned the hard way during his stint in Cincinnati and apply it to his next head coaching gig. And that team will benefit from all the mistakes he made here.

But in the meantime his learning curve is squandering the best years of Joe Burrow, one of the best QB talents to come out of college in the last 20 years or more. And we fans are suffering along the way.

As for Kittle, the Bengals haven't stopped a decent TE for as long as I can recall. The Ravens Todd Heap used to eat us alive twice a season for years as did Heath Miller for the Steelers. Hartsock for the Colts used to torch us each time we'd play them. Let's not even get into Shannon Sharpe and Tony Gonzalez etc... The list of Tight Ends who made a career out of getting over 100 yards each game on the Bengals is basically a history of the Tight end in the NFL. :roll:

The fact of the matter is this season was lost during the past off-season when the team made the conscious choice not to pursue more O-line help. I know nobody here will do this but go back and peruse the Camp Notes thread especially the August posts and see how many times I posted about O-linemen who where being let go and becoming Free Agents. Some we even had in for a look-see. We signed none. Not one, nada, zilch, bumpkiss, zero.

Zac and company felt the talent we had drafted and signed last year were good enough to see us through this season. They were wrong.....period.

And the sad fact is every Bengal fan with an IQ in at least the double digits knew it. KNEW IT! But here we sit today, four games from the end of the season bitching and moaning as we have pretty much all season about the poor play and lack of depth especially in the center of our Offensive Line.

Who didn't see this coming....!?! SoP and Zac Taylor, that's who. Who's going to be running things next off-season...? Zac Taylor and SoP, that's who.

Let's hope they've finally....mercifully learned their lesson. Let's hope we seriously peruse more interior O-line help or at least draft more O-linemen next April. And not in the 6th or 7th round either!

Did they learn their lesson...? Don't bet on it.... :roll: