2021 Training Camp

Let's talk Cincinnati Bengals football!
stripesincarolina

2021 Training Camp

Post by stripesincarolina » Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:42 pm

Well here we go. Three weeks from camp, four weeks from Pre-season Wk 1 against the Superbowl Champs who will be returning just about their entire roster. It will be an immediate test for the rookies and our Oline mix.

I figure its time to start this thread so we can load it up with playoff dreams while we can. What are you eyeballing in camp this year?

I'll go first. LB. That's it. Unless you want to count the JB knee watch, but that's a given. This team (on paper) is better everywhere. Except LB. I've seen hype stories on Logan Wilson recently but I'm just not buying it. We didn't get better at LB in my opinion. And I think how thin we are at that position will turn out to be our kryptonite all season long. I have little faith in Germaine Pratt to do anything positive (my alma mater loyalties aside). Joe Bachie, Markus Bailey? Nuh-uh. Not having it. 2nd and 3rd stringers at best. Davis-Gaither I like but again, I don't see him better than the 50th percentile in the league. And Jordan Evans, puleeze. :roll: He's still missing tackles from 2020.

For once, just once, I want to have a defense known for LB that are absolute killers. Show stoppers, game breakers. I want an announcer to say "you cannot run on these Bengal LBers and if you value your QB, you won't throw on them either". I want a LB roster equivalent to the Avengers. :lol:
Seeking Superbowls

Jmble

Re: 2021 Training Camp

Post by Jmble » Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:14 am

It may seem obvious, but it's all about the Offensive Line.

If this Offensive line can keep Burrow on his feet, this offense could be unstoppable and can win games in spite of average defense.

I agree about the Linebackers, but I honestly don't have much hope for this group of Linebackers. I'm hoping the defensive line can improve enough that the average to below average linebacker group can look better than they are.

Also, I want to see Burrow look like himself. The guy was calm, cool, and collected even facing unprecedented pressure from a terrible offensive line. I have no reason to suspect he won't still have that, but I'd like to see it in action.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:27 am

I hear ya' on the Linebacker situation but the fact that the Bengals name has been attached to some of the recent possible Free Agent linebackers gives me hope they're not done trying to improve in that area.

I expect them to try and add some names once camp cuts start later this summer.

MeatHeadbengal

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:47 am

Personally it's all about the O-line and D-line for me. O-line to make sure Burrow is standing at the end of the play, and D-line so that the other QB isn't.

As for LB play I'm not nearly as in the dumps on this group as you guys are, it was pretty obvious last year our D-line with all their injuries hurt their play. I think Wilson will be pretty darn good in the long run we just can't allow free shots from Guards getting to him.

I'm just excited there's going to be football again.

Exile

Post by Exile » Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:36 am

MeatHeadbengal wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:47 am
Personally it's all about the O-line and D-line for me. O-line to make sure Burrow is standing at the end of the play, and D-line so that the other QB isn't.
Yes.
As for LB play I'm not nearly as in the dumps on this group as you guys are, it was pretty obvious last year our D-line with all their injuries hurt their play. I think Wilson will be pretty darn good in the long run we just can't allow free shots from Guards getting to him.
Yes.
I'm just excited there's going to be football again.
Hell yes.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:23 pm

A few tidbits in Hobslobs latest mailbag:

— From what I can gather, most of the injured guys are going to be ready to go on the first day of training camp. Center Trey Hopkins (ACL) may need a little more time, but veteran Billy Price is ready to go in his place until he gets back and it sounds like Hopkins has a shot to play the opener or somewhere close.

— Thinks they’ll go with only 5 LBs.

— They want to extend Bates and Hubbard before the season starts.

— The fans' training camp schedule has yet to be released, but the NFL has said each team is going to have some kind of Back Together Again event on July 31 and that will be open to the public. Look for more details later on Bengals.com.

— We won't be able to see the fruits of offensive line coach Frank Pollack's work until preseason, but you could see the evolution begin this spring on the field. Pollack has demanding workouts when it comes to repping drills and he does it so many times and is so exact that players have said it makes Sundays seem easier. The repping and the detail are a big part of how Pollack can transform a guy's self-confidence. And the biggest impact may be on play calling. Every offensive line coach likes to establish a run game (and every offensive lineman loves to run the ball) and Pollack's influence on the play calling will be intriguing.

— Michael Jordan completely re-made his body this offseason

stripesincarolina

Post by stripesincarolina » Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:30 pm

As we head for camp with a SB in our sights, enjoy this excellent vintage recap from 1988. I havent seen this one before. Pretty cool. Miss Sam....

https://youtu.be/lVaQYQnkYQk
Seeking Superbowls

MeatHeadbengal

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:49 pm

stripesincarolina wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:30 pm
As we head for camp with a SB in our sights, enjoy this excellent vintage recap from 1988. I havent seen this one before. Pretty cool. Miss Sam....

https://youtu.be/lVaQYQnkYQk
Great video, thanks for sharing.... Who's ready for some football!!!

4256 Hits

Post by 4256 Hits » Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:01 pm

Bengals1 wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:23 pm

Didn't say it was in a good way. Here is the new logo.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:25 pm

4256 Hits wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:01 pm
Bengals1 wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:23 pm

Didn't say it was in a good way. Here is the new logo.

Now that's comedy!😂