2021 Training Camp

Let's talk Cincinnati Bengals football!
4256 Hits

Re: 2021 Training Camp

Post by 4256 Hits » Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:38 pm

Bengals1 wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:45 am
Geoff Hobson (@GeoffHobsonCin)

Pocket Rocket means something different at my house. ;)
Happy wife happy life! :D

Jmble

Post by Jmble » Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:34 am

Just a note regarding this weekend's first preseason game.

From Buc's reporter Greg Auman
Arians says the Bucs-Bengals preseason opener will be played Saturday, but kickoff could be moved earlier to get ahead of incoming tropical depression.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:03 pm

Paul Dehner Jr. (@pauldehnerjr)
We addressed this on the pod, but we are basically down to Xavier Su’a-Filo, Michael Jordan and Jackson Carman in a battle for RG with Quinton Spain the solid LG. Add in D’Ante Smith as a rising LG backup project.

If I’m handicapping odds of OD starter, XSF 45, MJ 40, JC 15.

Jmble

Post by Jmble » Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:12 pm

I can live with Xavier starting at Right Guard if we have to. He had a 74.8 score in Pass Blocking in 293 snaps (155 Pass Block Snaps). Similarly he had a 77.7 score in Pass Blocking in 2019 playing in 307 snaps (197 Pass block snaps) Repeat that for a full season and he will at least be helping Burrow stay on his feet.

I don't like that Jackson Carman is sitting behind Michael Jordan. I know it's early still, but I'd really like to see him show some improvement in camp.

Spain worries me, but he has historically been a very good pass blocker. He just fell off the rails last year with a pass blocking score of 44.8. Hopefully he looks more like his 2019 and before self than he does like the 2020 version.

MeatHeadbengal

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:32 pm

Jmble wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:12 pm
I can live with Xavier starting at Right Guard if we have to. He had a 74.8 score in Pass Blocking in 293 snaps (155 Pass Block Snaps). Similarly he had a 77.7 score in Pass Blocking in 2019 playing in 307 snaps (197 Pass block snaps) Repeat that for a full season and he will at least be helping Burrow stay on his feet.

I don't like that Jackson Carman is sitting behind Michael Jordan. I know it's early still, but I'd really like to see him show some improvement in camp.

Spain worries me, but he has historically been a very good pass blocker. He just fell off the rails last year with a pass blocking score of 44.8. Hopefully he looks more like his 2019 and before self than he does like the 2020 version.
I know everyone wants to think so negatively about Jordan and rightfully so, however if you guys jump into the way back machine and remember when our O-line coach was here last Jordan was a rising star. We all know our previous O-line coach was trash, and I fully expect these guys to be 1000% better just because of him. From what I've heard Jackson Carman didn't come to camp in shape, this worries me. Someone is going to need to take this guy under their wing and get him a chef and nutrition coach.

Jmble

Post by Jmble » Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:43 pm

MeatHeadbengal wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:32 pm
Jmble wrote:

I know everyone wants to think so negatively about Jordan and rightfully so, however if you guys jump into the way back machine and remember when our O-line coach was here last Jordan was a rising star. We all know our previous O-line coach was trash, and I fully expect these guys to be 1000% better just because of him. From what I've heard Jackson Carman didn't come to camp in shape, this worries me. Someone is going to need to take this guy under their wing and get him a chef and nutrition coach.
While I hope you are right Meat, Jordan was drafted in 2019 and Jim Turner was hired as Offensive Line coach in February, 2019. So I think you might be thinking of someone else. I do believe having Pollack back will be nothing but a positive to our Offensive Line though.

MeatHeadbengal

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:53 pm

Jmble wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:43 pm
MeatHeadbengal wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:32 pm
Jmble wrote:

While I hope you are right Meat, Jordan was drafted in 2019 and Jim Turner was hired as Offensive Line coach in February, 2019. So I think you might be thinking of someone else. I do believe having Pollack back will be nothing but a positive to our Offensive Line though.
Forgive me I thought Jordan was here under Pollack.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:12 pm

I understand what Meat and others are saying and I don't necessarily disagree. I too, think Pollack is an upgrade at O-Line coach and I expect he'll get a better performance out of our players at that position.

But he's not an alchemist. He can't turn lead into gold nor turn a C- player into an A player. No coach can. Bill Belichick is widely regarded as the best coach of the modern era but when Tom Brady left New England he didn't transform Cam Newton into an All-Pro.

He's got to have the raw talent to work with. Spain was an undrafted Free Agent out of West Virginia. He didn't come out of Alabama or Wisconsin or Notre Dame etc. The type of schools known for recruiting top O-Line talent and developing it. Jordan did play at Ohio State which almost always has a first rate O-line, so maybe there's something to work with there. We'll see.

But it's up to this organization to get him the right talent to develop. It's still very much up in the air if they've done that.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:20 am

Greg Auman (@gregauman)
My understanding is the Bucs-Bengals is very likely to be played as scheduled Saturday night. Storm is tracking on a path toward Tampa, but might only have some rain and wind affecting the game. They could move it earlier, but it’s unlikely.

MeatHeadbengal

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:54 pm

1 day way from Fake Football and I couldn't be more excited!