Athletic article on the search for a new O-line coach

Let's talk Cincinnati Bengals football!
skycruiser

Re: Athletic article on the search for a new O-line coach

Post by skycruiser » Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:19 pm

Watch all the Netflix. Play all the golf. “Spend time” with ya girl. Oh, and pray. You’ll need Him ;)

MeatHeadbengal

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:34 pm

Bengals announce Frank Pollack will be the team's new offensive line coach. Will also serve as run game coordinator.
Found this on communist twitter, can anyone else confirm?

Joe Bananas

Post by Joe Bananas » Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:52 pm

MeatHeadbengal wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:34 pm
Bengals announce Frank Pollack will be the team's new offensive line coach. Will also serve as run game coordinator.
Found this on communist twitter, can anyone else confirm?
Yes.

https://www.bengals.com/news/bengals-hi ... oordinator
I was crazy back when being crazy really meant something.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:13 pm

Back to the future.... 8-)

Exile

Post by Exile » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:14 pm

The Athletic also had an article on Pollack. There's a fair bit there, but a couple quotes stood out:

On the kind of players he wants:
"They have to love football and part of that is the physicality of it," he said. "They have to be smart, tough and not so much physically tough (but) mentally tough. It's a grind to really do this the right way. You have to love the grind. . [...] If your mindset is not to be the hardest worker on the team, then this isn't going to be the group or the team for you."

"the way I teach and my philosophy is you really have to master the mundane. You've got to find a few things, master them, own those and the adjustments off of those and not really be a jack of all trades." "There are plenty of schemes out there and plenty of ways to skin a cat, but you can't do them all," he added. "What fits your players the best? What do you believe in? And where does that mirror up and you're going to hang your hat on that? And you've got to drill that and grind the shit out of it. You've got to have guys that can handle the monotony of going day in and day out and owning it."
Of course, "I want my players to work hard" isn't exactly unheard of, but what this sounded like to me is a coach who is detail-oriented, and who drills guys toward being perfect in their technique. Some of the criticism you'd hear about Turner was that he wasn't a good teacher, that he wasn't good at breaking things down for his players. Sounds like Pollack can do that, and I think particularly given how young many of our players are, they could really thrive under him.

That said, I do still hope we bring in more talent, but I'm hopeful that he can get more out of any of the guys that we keep, too. The article talked about how happy Billy Price was to have Pollack back--maybe he'll turn his career around.

skycruiser

Post by skycruiser » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:31 am

Isn’t pollack the same OL coach who was in role when we blew a first round pick on Billy price?

Exile

Post by Exile » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:49 am

skycruiser wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:31 am
Isn’t pollack the same OL coach who was in role when we blew a first round pick on Billy price?
Depends on how you look at it. Yes, Pollack was part of drafting Price. I believe Price was having a pretty good rookie season until he was injured. Then--arguably--Turner comes in and fails to develop him.

MeatHeadbengal

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:05 am

skycruiser wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:31 am
Billy Price was the top center coming out that year, and I'll remind you he was a very promising prospect while Pollack was here. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say I really don't think it's a Billy Price problem it was a Turner problem. I'm going to bet that Price plays a lot better under Pollack teaching.

skycruiser

Post by skycruiser » Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:06 pm

Y’all remember in the preseason when he couldn’t even snap the ball to Dalton right?

TheBurn

Post by TheBurn » Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:28 pm

skycruiser wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:06 pm
Y’all remember in the preseason when he couldn’t even snap the ball to Dalton right?
yikes... i do remember!