Draft Talk - Cuz it's never too early...

Let's talk Cincinnati Bengals football!
Joe Bananas

Re: Draft Talk - Cuz it's never too early...

Post by Joe Bananas » Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:42 pm

I'm starting to think, in my opinion

1. Sewell - just cause he's prototypical and only like 20 or 21. If he can be Joe Thomas for 10 or 12 years then we would be fools to pass him up..

2. Chase - just cause his history with Burrow. Plus he's built like a brick shit house and fast and quick and could be a difference maker. Like a Steve Smith type to me.

3. Pitts- just cause he's prototypical, fast, very long, could be a red zone nightmare for teams. The last TE taken at 5 was Kellen Winslow Jr . . I think, I'm too lazy to look it up though.

I really don't have an option 4 at this point. And I'm still not sold on Slater. Again, I'm not, well I'll say it, I HATE his size. Hate it by I mean I would be hesitant taken him if he fell in round 2 and then I would draft him as a guard and nothing else!
I was crazy back when being crazy really meant something.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:00 am

Joe Bananas wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:42 pm
I'm starting to think,...
The four scariest words you'll ever read on this site..... :?

MeatHeadbengal

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:58 am

Joe Bananas wrote:

1. Sewell - just cause he's prototypical and only like 20 or 21. If he can be Joe Thomas for 10 or 12 years then we would be fools to pass him up..

2. Chase - just cause his history with Burrow. Plus he's built like a brick shit house and fast and quick and could be a difference maker. Like a Steve Smith type to me.

3. Pitts- just cause he's prototypical, fast, very long, could be a red zone nightmare for teams. The last TE taken at 5 was Kellen Winslow Jr . . I think, I'm too lazy to look it up though.

I really don't have an option 4 at this point. And I'm still not sold on Slater. Again, I'm not, well I'll say it, I HATE his size. Hate it by I mean I would be hesitant taken him if he fell in round 2 and then I would draft him as a guard and nothing else!
In all honesty Joe I feel like they are positioning themselves to be covered, so if either Sewell or Chase are chosen before 5 they can go with the other. Sure it's not exciting the our RT is only signed for 1 year but that doesn't mean after he's here and he sees what Burrow can do he signs longer if we miss out on Swallows..

Jmble

Post by Jmble » Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:04 am

In reference to Joe's post,

Vernon Davis was taken at pick number 6 in 2006
Kellen Winslow Jr was taken at pick number 6 in 2004

I went back to 1980. No Tight Ends were taken in the top five.

Those are the only two taken as high as pick six.

There is a small handful of other tight ends taken between six and ten.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:52 am

It's important to remember that these one-year contracts are the result of the cap shrinking this year and not because players don't want to commit to the Bengals long term.

Lots of players signing with other teams are taking one-year contracts too hoping more money will be available to sign long term when the cap goes up next year.

So there's no reason to believe Reiff is going to jump ship after just one season.

Reiff....ship....see what I did there....? 8-)

Joe Bananas

Post by Joe Bananas » Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:00 pm

Jmble wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:04 am
In reference to Joe's post,

Vernon Davis was taken at pick number 6 in 2006
Kellen Winslow Jr was taken at pick number 6 in 2004

I went back to 1980. No Tight Ends were taken in the top five.

Those are the only two taken as high as pick six.

There is a small handful of other tight ends taken between six and ten.
Thanks for lookin that up. I wouldn't mind Pitts but I don't wanna take him over Sewell though. I do think with the right coaching and scheme Pitts could help tremendously.

Joe Bananas

Post by Joe Bananas » Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:06 pm

MeatHeadbengal wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:58 am
Joe Bananas wrote:

In all honesty Joe I feel like they are positioning themselves to be covered, so if either Sewell or Chase are chosen before 5 they can go with the other. Sure it's not exciting the our RT is only signed for 1 year but that doesn't mean after he's here and he sees what Burrow can do he signs longer if we miss out on Swallows..
I mean one of the three has to be available at 5, right? If not then a Top QB has to fall to us at 5 that would then up the flood gates for trades, etc. If not that would leave Parsons (LB), Smith (WR), and or Slater or Paye (DE). Now I'm not excited for Slater as others are. Hell he may be an All Pro Tackle but his size scares me, but it may not scare away teams.

Joe Bananas

Post by Joe Bananas » Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:12 pm

Or here's a scenario especially after Pitts had a great workout. What if Sewell or Chase isn't there at 5 and Pitts is. And the Bengals don't really want him at 5. That again could lead to a trade with a team that's become infatuated with him.

Basically I don't think we done half of what we had to with our oline during FA and I feel we're in a dire need to address just that in the draft. I know there'll be guys in second round but we need a cornerstone. We need Sewell, Darisaw, Jenkins, but besides Sewell all others are mid teens or later first rounders which I can't see then drafting Jenkins or Darisaw at 5 .

But what if there's a run on O-linemen in mid teens or late first round?

Jmble

Post by Jmble » Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:08 pm

The Dolphins have just traded the number 3 pick to the San Francisco 49ers.

That pretty much eliminates one team that would have passed on a QB. Good news for the Bengals.

From Schefter
Filed to ESPN: Dolphins trading No. 3 overall pick to the San Francisco 49ers for the No. 12 pick, a 2021 third-round pick (SF’s comp pick for Robert Saleh hiring) and first-round picks in 2022 and 2023, per sources.

Blockbuster deal with massive ramifications for years to come.
From Paul Dehner
Whoa. There we go. Well the idea of QBs going 1-2-3 looks solid with 4 obviously in play. Anything that assures #Bengals to have pick of best non-QBs available should be considered good for them.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:18 pm

Wow!!!!

You bet the Niners are going QB at #3. Not sure how I'd feel seeing Fields, a former Buckeye playing in Frisco.... 8-)