Draft Talk - Cuz it's never too early...

Let's talk Cincinnati Bengals football!
Mag

Re: Draft Talk - Cuz it's never too early...

Post by Mag » Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:27 am

MeatHeadbengal wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:17 am
Mag wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:20 pm
MeatHeadbengal wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:10 pm
If somehow we strike gold and end up with a HOF'er at any position I don't give a good GD where we draft him, that includes a TE in the first.
Considering you have to go back 30 years to find one HOF caliber first rd TE, the chances aren't good.
That doesn't mean it doesn't happen, nor does it mean it can't happen this year, very closed minded thinking.
If closed minded means you look at data to make informed decisions, sure, I'm closed minded.

The fact of the matter is this team needs to hit on its draft picks, especially first rounders. To use baseball as a metaphor, I'd rather have a lineup of all .300 hitters than one with almost all .200 hitters where one might be an all star.

MeatHeadbengal

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:15 pm

Mag wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:27 am

If closed minded means you look at data to make informed decisions, sure, I'm closed minded.

The fact of the matter is this team needs to hit on its draft picks, especially first rounders. To use baseball as a metaphor, I'd rather have a lineup of all .300 hitters than one with almost all .200 hitters where one might be an all star.
Data can only get you so far! While it is useful it's not 100% sure bet, that's all I'm saying. Again if there's a HOF'er at any position it really shouldn't matter where he's drafted. That's all I'm saying.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:44 pm

Jordan Reid (@Jordan_Reid)
• Penile Swallow
• Rashawn Slater
• Christian Darrisaw
• Alex Leatherwood
• Teven Jenkins
• Samuel Cosmi
• Jalen Mayfield
• Dillon Radunz
• Liam Eichenberg
• Jackson Carman

Plenty of others to name. Never seen an OT class this deep throughout. Potentially great group.

Jmble

Post by Jmble » Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:06 pm

Anthony Treash of Pro Football focus released his newest two round Mock Draft today. As he states, this isn't what he thinks will happen, but what he would do if he was in charge.

One thing I learned today that I didn't know, PFF Headquarters is located in Cincinnati. Not sure how I didn't know that, but it's interesting.

1. Jacksonville - Trevor Lawrence
2. New York - Zach Wilson
3. Atlanta - Justin Fields
4. Miami - Devonta Smith

5. Cincinnati - Ja'Marr Chase
The city of Cincinnati — the home of PFF HQ — and I have some strong disagreements about taking Penei Sewell with the fifth overall pick no matter what. It's not because I don’t think that Penei Sewell will have success at the next level, but rather because I think that Chase's ceiling is significantly more valuable than that of an offensive tackle. The Bengals have a clear path to fix their offensive line in free agency, and this would reunite one of the best QB-WR connections in college football history.

The former LSU receiver opted out of the 2020 season but was dominant alongside Burrow and Justin Jefferson in 2019. Chase and Burrow teamed up for more deep catches (24) and touchdowns (14) than any other QB-WR connection in the PFF College era in their championship run in 2019. Chase still ranked second among all college wide receivers over the last two seasons in total explosive receptions of 15-plus yards against single coverage despite not even playing this year. He was that good.

Chase’s physicality and release package are NFL-ready, and those two strengths equated to massive success against press coverage. Since 2019, Chase ranks first in total receiving yards against press coverage, with 1,048. Again, he did not play a down this season. He easily has the potential to become one of the best wide receivers in the game.
Second Round pick - Cincinnati - Even Jenkins, Tackle out of Oklahoma State
The ideal scenario for the Bengals’ offensive line this offseason would be the following: 1) Bring guard Joe Thuney back home in free agency, 2) sign a low-cost right tackle in free agency, such as Matt Feiler or Kelvin Beachum, to a one- or two-year deal and 3) draft a right tackle with the 38th overall pick. Burrow will be protected and prospering when he returns from injury if Cincy obliges.

Jenkins was a mainstay on the Pokes’ offensive line over the past three years and performed at a high level in each campaign. The lack of true pass sets Oklahoma State tasked him with is a bit of a concern. Just 128 of his 946 snaps in the past three years were a true pass set. That said, Jenkins posted an elite 90.0 pass-blocking grade on those snaps, which would have been the best at the position had he played enough snaps to qualify.

On top of that, Jenkins also posted the second-best run-block grade among right tackles over the course of that span. He has the upper-body strength to handle NFL edge rushers. The only concern is Jenkins' shorter arm length, which — as PFF lead draft analyst Mike Renner detailed in his tackle rankings — could move him inside at the next level. Either way, the Bengals could use a guy like Jenkins.
If curious, players he has going after our second round pick.

Alex Leatherwood - Tackle out of Alabama
Greg Newsome II - CB out of Northwestern
Ar'Darius Washington - Safety out of TCU
Dyami Brown - WR out of North Carolina
Tyson Campbell - CB out of Georgia
Alim McNeill - DL out of NC State

MeatHeadbengal

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:36 pm

Jmble that scenario makes way too much sense, therefore it probably will not happen. I have to admit though I love it, which again is strike 2 against this scenario.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:32 pm

If they sign Thuney ( :roll: ) and then just sign a journeyman to hold down the RT position (and save some money natch' ;) ) then they should draft Penile at #5 if he's there.

You don't pass on another Anthony Munoz who will be your lock down tackle for the next 10-12 years barring injury.....period.

Go and get an edge rusher or deep-threat WR in the second. You've got 6 more rounds to fill holes with.... 8-)

Joe Bananas

Post by Joe Bananas » Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:24 pm

Jmble wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:06 pm

If curious, players he has going after our second round pick.

Alex Leatherwood - Tackle out of Alabama
Greg Newsome II - CB out of Northwestern
Ar'Darius Washington - Safety out of TCU
Dyami Brown - WR out of North Carolina
Tyson Campbell - CB out of Georgia
Alim McNeill - DL out of NC State
Alot of people are talking about Leatherwood being better inside than out. That's why with his size and all he's always projected 33 to 36th.
I was crazy back when being crazy really meant something.

Joe Bananas

Post by Joe Bananas » Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:30 pm

Bengals1 wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:32 pm

You don't pass on another Anthony Munoz who will be your lock down tackle for the next 10-12 years barring injury.....period.
Agree! I love Chase, but not over Sewell. If Sewell is there you take him. If not then I wouldn't mind drafting Chase.

Sewell has the highest grade ever for a power 5 OT prospect-ever! 6'6 330, 20 years old. I just don't see how you pass this kid up.
I was crazy back when being crazy really meant something.

MeatHeadbengal

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:48 pm

Joe Bananas wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:30 pm
Bengals1 wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:32 pm

Agree! I love Chase, but not over Sewell. If Sewell is there you take him. If not then I wouldn't mind drafting Chase.

Sewell has the highest grade ever for a power 5 OT prospect-ever! 6'6 330, 20 years old. I just don't see how you pass this kid up.
I'm on the opposite side of the fence on this issue, I like Chase over Sewell. I think we need to address RT in FA instead of trying to develop a guy since we haven't had much luck doing that in a while.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:54 pm

MeatHeadbengal wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:48 pm
I'm on the opposite side of the fence on this issue, I like Chase over Sewell. I think we need to address RT in FA instead of trying to develop a guy since we haven't had much luck doing that in a while.
If we sign a young, first class Free Agent to play RT then Swallow would be redundant. But if we just sign some journeyman to fill the position as a hedge against Penile not being there and then it turns out he is you take him and fill the position for a decade or more.