Draft Talk - Cuz it's never too early...

Let's talk Cincinnati Bengals football!
4256 Hits

Re: Draft Talk - Cuz it's never too early...

Post by 4256 Hits » Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:03 pm

Bengals1 wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:24 pm
You also don't base your draft picks in any round based on some beat writers opinion.

I've seen nothing but praise for Slater on the Mock Draft sites. Several have mentioned how he easily handled Chase Young in the BIG10 Championship game last year. Pretty good credentials by anyone's standards.

And he played Tackle in college, both Right and Left positions. At least one draft site actually had an article claiming Slater was a better pick than Sewell!!

Sheesh.... one guy on the net says in his opinion he projects better to Guard or Center and you guys are ready to toss out the baby with the bathwater.

No offense Meat. ;)
You need better sources as teams that go 3-9 don't get get to play in the B10 championship game. :lol: OSU did play NW in the regular season and won 52-3. Young did only have 1 TFL but I have no idea how much he played in the blow-out.

I did say "if that is the case" that Slater project more as a center I don't want him at 5.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:15 pm

Northwestern played in the 2018 BIG10 Championship game vs Ohio State. Slater would have played against Chase Young then.

skycruiser

Post by skycruiser » Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:48 am

He completely shut down chase last year. The 1 tackle he had I think came in complete garbage time. It was the first and only time someone blocked him the entire year

MeatHeadbengal

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:05 am

For those who are interested here's 2019 OSU at NW

Slater is playing LT #70

https://youtu.be/eHyQzYiH_Tk

MeatHeadbengal

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:30 am

For those interested I did a quick grade session on Slater when he was up against Chase Young and here's what I found.

Scheme wise in the first half they didn't go up against each other very much but were across from each other.

first quarter they lined up against each other 4 times, with only once Slater had to pass pro and he did well.

Second quarter they lined up against each other 11 times and engaged each other 5 times. Slater however received 2 minuses (minuses are negative plays that impact the game) he had a missed assignment which lead to a TFL, and a holding penalty.

The 3rd quarter they matched up 9 times and engaged 6. At this point the game was pretty much out of control.

4th quarter was pretty much slop time for other guys.

Watch the video and see what you see, but my grade for Slater would be a 63.63% when going up against Chase Young.

Edited; In all honestly his grade should be lower because there was a Bull rush that I didn't give him a minus on but Chase Young did push him back and it effected the play to the point where the QB had to scramble out of the pocket. Also I'm not really sure what there exact blocking scheme's were so I didn't give him a minuses because I just didn't know their exact scheme and play but if he was part of my position group I would have to nit pick.
Last edited by MeatHeadbengal on Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:33 am

skycruiser wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:48 am
He completely shut down chase last year. The 1 tackle he had I think came in complete garbage time. It was the first and only time someone blocked him the entire year
Hits is right, we keep saying last year when we mean two years ago. It's January now so it's understandable.... :oops:

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:35 am

Which game specifically were you looking at Meat...?

The 2018 BIG10 Championship?

MeatHeadbengal

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:11 am

Bengals1 wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:35 am
Which game specifically were you looking at Meat...?

The 2018 BIG10 Championship?
The video I linked in the above post. I believe it was 2019 regular season.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:52 am

Yahoo Sports
NFL draft: OT Rashawn Slater's performance vs. Chase Young shows first-round potential

Eric Edholm

August 20, 2020

Although NFL scouts already had been eying Northwestern OT Rashawn Slater, it was his performance against Ohio State in 2019 — and particularly vs. Chase Young — that really put the Wildcats standout on the 2021 NFL draft map.

As Yahoo Sports’ Pete Thamel reported Thursday, Slater is now leaving school early and preparing for the 2021 draft, joining a growing list of prospects who won’t suit up in 2020. The Big Ten chose not to have a fall season but is exploring playing in the spring.

Northwestern was thrashed in that game vs. OSU, 52-3. But Slater’s performance against Young, this year’s No. 2 overall pick and a favorite for NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year, won’t soon be forgotten. You could argue that Slater handled his reps against Young as well as anyone Young faced last season.

Young’s sack that night came vs. Northwestern’s other tackle. The only tangible successes he had was when he wasn’t going head-to-head against Slater.

It’s the kind of tape every NFL scouting department will watch again closely to evaluate his stock, and we believe Slater has a chance to be Northwestern’s first first-rounder since DL Luis Castillo in 2005. The two major national scouting services, BLESTO and National, gave Slater summer grades in the first-to-second-round range.

Either way, Slater will be the Wildcats’ first drafted offensive lineman since Zach Strief (Round 7, 2006).

We spoke to one of those GMs following the game, and there was plenty of talk about Ohio State’s trove of talent. But Slater was easily Northwestern’s brightest spot.

Of course, one game does not make a draft evaluation. Thankfully, Slater has plenty of other good tape to fall back on. He started 30 straight games for the Wildcats at both left and right tackle prior to missing one game last season against Nebraska with an undisclosed injury.

He returned to play the next game against Young and Ohio State and will finish his standout career with 38 starts and 2,700 offensive snaps played.

Slater didn’t allow a sack last season, per Pro Football Focus, and turned in some really clean efforts against top pass-rushing opponents at Michigan State, Iowa and Minnesota. He also turned in a nice hustle play in a season-ending upset of Illinois, making a tackle 25 yards across the field after an interception on the runback.

A source told Yahoo Sports that NFL scouts have a Zoom meeting scheduled with Northwestern on Thursday afternoon, and Slater’s name is sure to come up plenty on that call. He and LB Paddy Fisher, whose stock could be hurt by the Big Ten’s lost season, are the Wildcats’ best pair of prospects in a single draft class in several years.

The one lingering concern with Rashawn Slater:

The biggest knock on Slater right now is his size. Listed at 6-foot-4 and 315 pounds (and evaluators believe he’s a shade smaller on both), Slater will be on the low end for a starting NFL tackle. His arm length is also likely shorter than the 34-inch median at the position.

A similar size comp would be Isaiah Wynn, whom the Patriots made the 22nd pick in the draft two years ago. It’s reasonable to compare the two prospects in terms of style and size, and Slater is actually a tad larger.

Like Wynn, Slater’s game is well-rounded as both a quality run blocker and pass protector. He also has the positional versatility of having played both tackle spots, and he could easily make the transition inside if needed, we feel.

Although he was flagged for eight penalties last season — including three holds on run plays and three false starts — Slater is an athletic mover with good recovery ability and quality grip strength. The son of former NBA small forward Reggie Slater, he shares his dad’s springy athleticism but in a larger frame.

Slater can be shocked and knocked back by powerful and longer-framed defenders. Once he learns to harness leverage better in his favor, which will be a challenge at his size, he can develop as a starting-caliber tackle in the NFL.

The 2021 offensive tackle group is shaping up as potentially uneven, appearing to lack in quality depth. At the very top, Oregon’s Penei Sewell has all the earmarks of a top-five pick. He’s the clear bellwether of the group.

After that, there’s a bit of a drop-off. Slater, Texas’ Samuel Cosmi and Alabama’s Alex Leatherwood appear to make up the next tier right now. All three could end up in the first-round picture, partially because of that lack of depth, although some teams might view Slater and Leatherwood as guard candidates.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:44 pm

Austin Gayle (@PFF_AustinGayle)
Lowest pressure % allowed among 2021 OT prospects with RPOs, play-action and screens removed over the past two seasons:

T-1. Penei Sewell (2.1%) — 2019
T-1. Rashawn Slater (2.1%) — 2019

2. Abraham Lucas (2.5%) — 2019

3. Sam Cosmi (2.7%) — 2020
4. Sam Cosmi (2.8%) — 2019