Report: Zac to oversee major coaching shakeup.

Let's talk Cincinnati Bengals football!
4256 Hits

Re: Report: Zac to oversee major coaching shakeup.

Post by 4256 Hits » Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:21 pm

MeatHeadbengal wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:39 pm
Jmble wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:07 pm
There will be more changes but some haven’t been discussed yet so this is only the beginning.
I think the DC is gone, I really don't believe you replace that many staff members on that side of the ball without letting the top guy go.
Welcome back Meat. What is is your take on Xavier Su'a-Filo and Quinton Spain play at guard? It was quite clear that as soon as XSF was healthy and took starting spot from Michael Jordan the OL play improved significantly.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:17 pm

Mag wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:38 pm
"Offensive line coach Jim Turner, defensive line coach Nick Eason and defensive assistant Gerald Chatman have all been told that they will not be retained, per multiple team sources."

https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/.amp/new ... ssion=true
It's like Christmas all over again....! :lol:

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:24 pm

MeatHeadbengal wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:05 pm
I think Taylor is a pretty good coach but his supporting staff is a serious problem and he recognizes that.
I don't know how good Zac is really but it's only fair to point out he was a late hire here and had to scramble to fill many of his coaching vacancies.

Perhaps with more time this off-season he'll make better choices...

MeatHeadbengal

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:04 pm

Bengals1 wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:24 pm
MeatHeadbengal wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:05 pm
I think Taylor is a pretty good coach but his supporting staff is a serious problem and he recognizes that.
I don't know how good Zac is really but it's only fair to point out he was a late hire here and had to scramble to fill many of his coaching vacancies.

Perhaps with more time this off-season he'll make better choices...
I respectfully disagree, I think Zac had enough time to fill the spots but if you remember DC and OL coaching fills were very very late. I think we were pretty much scraping the bottom of the barrel.

As for Zac, with all the negativity throughout this season the players still playing very very hard. They could have packed it in but they haven't there should be some credit given there.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:18 pm

MeatHeadbengal wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:04 pm
I respectfully disagree, I think Zac had enough time to fill the spots but if you remember DC and OL coaching fills were very very late. I think we were pretty much scraping the bottom of the barrel.
I agree they were late and I also agree we were scrapping the bottom of the barrel. But as I recall, SoP had to wait till the Rams were out of the Play-Offs to interview Zac and thus, he was a late hire compared to many other teams that hired new head coaches last off-season.

And that's why he had to scramble to find assistant coaches and coordinators. Most, if not all, of the good ones had already been hired.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:44 pm

Andre Perrotta (@andreperrotta13)
If reports of DL Coach Nick Eason not being retained are also true, one name to keep in mind, as mentioned by @MrKCincy, is current Jaguars' DC Todd Wash (who coached Dline back in his Seattle & TB position coaching days). 2017-2018 Jags teams had some of the best DLs in the NFL.

MeatHeadbengal

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:44 pm

Last edited by MeatHeadbengal on Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MeatHeadbengal

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:44 pm

4256 Hits wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:21 pm
MeatHeadbengal wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:39 pm
Jmble wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:07 pm
There will be more changes but some haven’t been discussed yet so this is only the beginning.
I think the DC is gone, I really don't believe you replace that many staff members on that side of the ball without letting the top guy go.
Welcome back Meat. What is is your take on Xavier Su'a-Filo and Quinton Spain play at guard? It was quite clear that as soon as XSF was healthy and took starting spot from Michael Jordan the OL play improved significantly.
Well I was very vocal about my thoughts on our O-line coach, I think he's one of the worst O-line coaches I've ever heard talk. I really don't like his attitude and as a former O-linemen myself I would have had a lot of trouble playing for him. With that said I do like the rotation we've have had late in the season.

Su'a-Filo is a very upper body powerful guys, he's filled in ok but he's not a long term answer at the guard position. He's a guy that is suitable to keep filling gaps.

Spain is massive, I mean that did is huge. He's played pretty well but I'd keep him at Guard, he's not really athletic enough to stay at tackle long term. That's just my thoughts. We should be aggressive and be trying to land someone good at guard.

I've been very impressed with Adeniji, he's filled in pretty darn well. He's shown very good athleticism on both edges.

Mag

Post by Mag » Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:26 am

WR coach, Bicknell, is on his way out too.

TheBurn

Post by TheBurn » Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:29 am

Mag wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:26 am
WR coach, Bicknell, is on his way out too.
this one i'm not sure i get...