Cats vs Boys Gameday Thread.

Let's talk Cincinnati Bengals football!
skycruiser

Re: Cats vs Boys Gameday Thread.

Post by skycruiser » Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:08 pm

A new rock bottom every week, which is really saying something. Sad thing is, the D actually isn’t all that bad. And we’re still getting smoked

It’s almost as bad as some of the hits Warner bros put out in the early 2000s like battlefield earth, catwoman, and feardotcom. Almost.

skycruiser

Post by skycruiser » Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:16 pm

Agree 100%

Lance McAlister
@LanceMcAlister
·
33m
Zac Taylor's done a lot of questionable stuff in winning
4 of 29 games. Punishing Gio,
a team leader, with a benching for a half after his first fumble in 830 carries is without question Taylor's WEAKEST move

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:38 pm

Lance McAlister (@LanceMcAlister)
If Allen can't go Sunday, the #Bengals can't possibly play Finley. The dude is simply not an NFL QB. Period. End of story. And Duke Tobin traded up for him. That would be hilarious if it weren't so pathetically inept.

4256 Hits

Post by 4256 Hits » Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:41 pm

Even SoP has to see that Taylor has lost this team and there is just no way that he can bring him back.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:18 pm

Tom Pelissero (@TomPelissero)
#Bengals QB Brandon Allen -- who left today’s game against the #Cowboys -- suffered a bone bruise in his knee, source said. More tests Monday, but optimism he’ll be OK. Allen was 27-of-36 passing for 217 yards and a TD before the injury.

Exile

Post by Exile » Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:50 pm

4256 Hits wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:41 pm
Even SoP has to see that Taylor has lost this team and there is just no way that he can bring him back.
I would bet that Zac is a really good QB coach. This is largely his offense, I think, and it seems like he's clicked well with Burrow. He'd probably be a really good offensive coordinator.

But he was NOT ready for primetime. Not ready to be in charge of a whole team. He's just not. Maybe he will be someday, but it sure seems like he's lost the team, which is going to make it really hard to turn things around.

Mag

Post by Mag » Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:38 am

Exile wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:50 pm
4256 Hits wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:41 pm
I would bet that Zac is a really good QB coach. This is largely his offense, I think, and it seems like he's clicked well with Burrow. He'd probably be a really good offensive coordinator.

But he was NOT ready for primetime. Not ready to be in charge of a whole team. He's just not. Maybe he will be someday, but it sure seems like he's lost the team, which is going to make it really hard to turn things around.
I agree. I bet he'd have been a very good OC, maybe a great one. Having successful inexperienced HC are more luck than anything. The ones that have had success, had team structures that gave them a lot of support. Zac may very well do well as a HC one day, too much is expected of a staff here. He was just not up for the job. Furthermore, he doesn't have the connections to put together an experienced enough staff to back him up. He basically has a staff of hasbeens and neverwillbes.

The reason Marvin had any success was that he was a long time assistant on some smaller market teams and he was mentored by the likes of Ozzie Newsome. He was at least somewhat prepared for the expectations and had a desire to take the responsibility. He had also been in the league long enough and on multiple successful staffs to have developed connections that allowed him to find good assistants. Of course he had some swings and misses on staffs, but he was able to recognize their deficiencies and move on.

I think for us to get over the hump we need a HC that has experience as a HC. Not only that, but one who has had at least moderate success in the league. Like Marvin in 2003 they will have experience and connections to build a more adequate staff. They will have the experience to know when to delegate so they can better handle all the extra needs a coach must handle on this team. An experienced head coach likely will have their past mistakes to learn from.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:57 am

Another point is that if we're going to move on from Zac we'd best do it quickly, as soon as the season is over preferably.

One of the reasons Zac had such a hard time putting together a staff was because so many of the available assistant coaches had already been hired by other teams when Taylor came looking. He was hired late in the off-season and was forced to rush several of his hires.

The best scenario is for SoP to let Taylor go the day after our season is over. Start making inquiries about who might come available and be prepared to jump on your choice(s) ASAP. (Zimmer?)

Act like you've got a plan.....for once. :roll:

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:21 pm

Several sources noticing Taylor's demeanor in his post-game press conference - dejected, lacking his usual optimism. He seems Bungalized or just depressed.

Why he didn't see this all this coming when he took the job is beyond me.

It's one of the reasons why I thought he'd never succeed here - he seemed to have no idea what he was getting into. This franchise kills head coaching careers, every single one of them under SoP has died here... :x

4256 Hits

Post by 4256 Hits » Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:40 pm

The best chance he had to succeed as a head coach was to have either his DC or OC been a former NFL head coach.