Bill Cowher

Let's talk Cincinnati Bengals football!
Bengals1

Re: Bill Cowher

Post by Bengals1 » Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:51 pm

What's everyone's opinion of Eric Bieniemy...?

The knock I've read on the net is that he interviews horribly. No details so I don't really know what that means.

But a lot of sports casters and talking heads on TV are high on him.

Thoughts....?

Joe the Sot

Post by Joe the Sot » Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:01 am

Bengals1 wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:51 pm

The knock I've read on the net is that he interviews horribly. No details so I don't really know what that means.

Thoughts....?
I love the idea but I wonder how much of ‘his’ success is really down to Kermit and the crew doing a great job of flattering him, heck even the walrus himself designs a lot of the plays still. Love that he is a former Bengal but nervous that he may well be another Zac basking in someone else’s glory. Right now though I’d take the water boy over the clown we have!

Mag

Post by Mag » Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:54 am

Joe the Sot wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:01 am
Bengals1 wrote:

Thoughts....?
I love the idea but I wonder how much of ‘his’ success is really down to Kermit and the crew doing a great job of flattering him, heck even the walrus himself designs a lot of the plays still. Love that he is a former Bengal but nervous that he may well be another Zac basking in someone else’s glory. Right now though I’d take the water boy over the clown we have!
While he'd be an upgrade, I prefer going after a former HC that has been to the playoffs. It's that old definition of insanity. Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. We've done inexperienced assistants, experienced assistants. Never hired a HC from outside the organization that had moderate success. The closest was Coslet, who was a Jets HC between stints as bengals OC. He was a bad HC.

My list is still:

1. Cowher
2. Lovie
3. Zimmer (if available)
4. Harbaugh
5. Jay Gruden

skycruiser

Post by skycruiser » Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:25 am

we need someone with head coaching experience. preferably who has won a playoff game in the last 5 years

Mag

Post by Mag » Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:54 am

The more I think about it, we should get Jay Gruden.

A. He's available. Currently OC of the Jags and that staff will likely get blown up after the season.

B. He's had moderate success in recent stint as HC. Outside his first and last seasons, his records were 9-7, 8-7-1, 7-9, 7-9. Not great, but not bad. Was first in division and went to playoffs in year 2 with Skins.

C. Can develop young QBs. Drafted and developed Dalton into quality starting QB. Turned Cousins from backup to franchise QB.

D. Has eye for and/or ability to develop young coaches. McVay was his OC.

E. Has at least a positive working relationship with Callahan family. Worked with Bill in Tampa and Wash. Brian Callahan was Jon Gruden's QB coach before coming to Cincy. Jay would likely keep him on staff, giving Burrow system and coaching continuity.

F. Knows the team and Brown family. He understands the expectations, benefits, and headaches of being a Bengals coach.

G. Fits what i've been saying about former HCs having greater success in later HC jobs.

H. Likely not on anyone else's radar, likely would take the job.

skycruiser

Post by skycruiser » Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:53 am

i like it mag. just as long as they dont go with hue jackson...

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:25 am

Mag wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:54 am
How many fans of other teams would have to seriously list that as a requirement...? :lol:

Mag

Post by Mag » Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:34 am

Bengals1 wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:25 am
Mag wrote:
How many fans of other teams would have to seriously list that as a requirement...? :lol:
I would say:

Jets
Brown's (until recently)

Exile

Post by Exile » Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:44 am

Mag wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:54 am
Joe the Sot wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:01 am
Bengals1 wrote:

Thoughts....?
While he'd be an upgrade, I prefer going after a former HC that has been to the playoffs. It's that old definition of insanity. Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. We've done inexperienced assistants, experienced assistants. Never hired a HC from outside the organization that had moderate success. The closest was Coslet, who was a Jets HC between stints as bengals OC. He was a bad HC.

My list is still:

1. Cowher
2. Lovie
3. Zimmer (if available)
4. Harbaugh
5. Jay Gruden
My gut reaction to Harbaugh is "hell no!" Which is partially my OSU fandom speaking, but also just the fact that his tenure at Michigan has been nothing short of horrendous. But if I take a step back, I can acknowledge the possibility that he's just not well-matched to the college game. I'm sure he took the job out of loyalty to his alma mater, but he's either a terrible football coach or he's a terrible college football coach. The college game is, first and foremost, about recruiting, and he and his assistants failed pretty miserably at that. And then it's about development, and they've been pretty bad at that, too. But those aren't the primary skills of an NFL head coach, and when you look at his time at San Francisco, he either got really lucky (totally possible) or he's pretty decent at the skills needed in the big leagues.

Zimmer and Gruden both have the advantage of knowing Mike Brown and knowing what they're getting into, and I'd take a chance on either one.

Cowher seems unlikely, and I'm also worried that the game may have passed him by. But I'd be at least cautiously optimistic, because there's no denying the success he had. Lovie Smith I'm a little hesitant about. He had a good run in Chicago, crashed and burned in Tampa Bay, and then it's hard to judge his time at Illinois. I mean, it's Illinois. I guess he did fine, all things considered?

I guess I lean toward your later post, where you put Gruden at the top of your list, for all the reasons you suggest. Zimmer may not even be available, while Gruden is almost certainly eager to move back up from OC.

4256 Hits

Post by 4256 Hits » Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:49 pm

Mag wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:34 am
Bengals1 wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:25 am
Mag wrote:
I would say:

Jets
Brown's (until recently)
Coaches were lining up to work for Browns. All they had to do was work for a year or two and get paid for 5. :lol: