The Draft

Let's talk Cincinnati Bengals football!
Mag

Re: The Draft

Post by Mag » Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:36 am

Bengals1 wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:35 pm
Are you honestly trying to tell me you believe there's a curse on our first round picks...? :shock:

Did you use a Ouija board to consult the otherside or do you make draft picks based on fortune cookies...?

I know all about our recent first round picks and their injury histories but you don't stop taking talented players because the last few got hurt.

Ross and Oogie-Boogie had known health issues before we drafted them. Burrow got injured late in the season due to the worst offensive line in the league. An issue everyone already knew about but our coaching staff steadfastly refused to address until it was too late.

And now the best Offensive Lineman to come out of college in a decade or more is about to fall into our laps and you want to trade him away cuz' your tarot cards told you to.... :roll:
No tarot cards, just math. Do you want more chances to pick in rounds you are historically successful? Or do you want few chances in rounds you are not?

Furthermore, this draft will be a crapshoot. Many of the top players, including Sewell, will have not played in a year. It's going to be difficult to grade many of these players. Heck, Sewell may not even be a top 5 pick when the time comes. Due to the uncertainty, I expect many elite players to be available later than expected, so why not increase your chances to land as many of these players as possible?

Lastly, I find it interesting you mention the Pats and Seahawks as models of success. Both teams are notorious for trading down. You say you want the Bengals to be more like them, yet not draft like them?

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:15 am

Mag wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:36 am
Do you want more chances to pick in rounds you are historically successful? Or do you want few chances in rounds you are not?

Lastly, I find it interesting you mention the Pats and Seahawks as models of success. Both teams are notorious for trading down. You say you want the Bengals to be more like them, yet not draft like them?
I want the most talented player at the greatest area of need and that's Sewell. It's the same scouting dept. making the picks in the other rounds as in the first round. If you trust them to make a good pick in the second you can trust them to do it in the first. Or simply not trust them at all like I do in which case you go with the surest pick possible and that's Penile.....period.

And I want the Bengals to raise their level of coaching to that of the other competent teams. Then we can move around in the draft like they do....not before.

CincyBobcat

Post by CincyBobcat » Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:37 pm

If we’re drafting at #3, I’m all for Sewell, move Williams to RT, and have our bookends for the next 5 years (or until they price their way out of here). If NYJ or JAX wants to help our cause and win a few games, moving us to #2, then definitely trade down to the QB hungry team that wants Fields and pick BPA. But that implies I have faith in this joke of a front office.... Is it too early to start drinking?

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:38 pm

CincyBobcat wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:37 pm
But that implies I have faith in this joke of a front office.... Is it too early to start drinking?
You're a Bengals fan, it's never too early to start drinking.

And that's my main point in drafting Penile. I simply don't trust this front office/ scouting dept to draft solid talent given extra picks.

Better to go with as close to a "can't miss" prospect and lessen the chance of a miss than start throwing darts at a draft board and hope against hope one or two picks works out. :roll:

4256 Hits

Post by 4256 Hits » Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:54 pm

CincyBobcat wrote:
If we’re drafting at #3, I’m all for Sewell, move Williams to RT, and have our bookends for the next 5 years (or until they price their way out of here). If NYJ or JAX wants to help our cause and win a few games, moving us to #2, then definitely trade down to the QB hungry team that wants Fields and pick BPA. But that implies I have faith in this joke of a front office.... Is it too early to start drinking?
Good to see you post CincyBobcat and good to see you dropping the hammer on the front office! They are embarrassingly bad.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:29 pm

4256 Hits wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:54 pm
Good to see you post CincyBobcat and good to see you dropping the hammer on the front office! They are embarrassingly bad.
In other breaking news: Ike is no longer President.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:33 pm

;)

Anthony Cosenza (@CJAnthonyCUI)
Sewell Thuney Hopkins Spain Jonah

Burrow

Mag

Post by Mag » Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:41 am

Bengals1 wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:38 pm
CincyBobcat wrote:
But that implies I have faith in this joke of a front office.... Is it too early to start drinking?
You're a Bengals fan, it's never too early to start drinking.

And that's my main point in drafting Penile. I simply don't trust this front office/ scouting dept to draft solid talent given extra picks.

Better to go with as close to a "can't miss" prospect and lessen the chance of a miss than start throwing darts at a draft board and hope against hope one or two picks works out. :roll:
He's not the only "can't miss" prospect in the draft. Not even the only one at his position.

TheBurn

Post by TheBurn » Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:31 am

Bengals1 wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:33 pm
;)

Anthony Cosenza (@CJAnthonyCUI)
Sewell Thuney Hopkins Spain Jonah

Burrow
this i like...

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:42 am

Mag wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:41 am
He's not the only "can't miss" prospect in the draft. Not even the only one at his position.
That's your opinion and you're entitled to it. But all the early draft sites are calling him the next Anthony Munoz. He's the top prospect at our greatest area of need.

Don't over think this fella'....