And with the first pick of the 2020 NFL Draft...

Let's talk Cincinnati Bengals football!
Mag

Re: And with the first pick of the 2020 NFL Draft...

Post by Mag » Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:28 am

stripesincarolina wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:14 pm
Hey, if we all have to read Mag's pre-draft novels (which are a good read by the way) then you guys have to endure my Andy "Aint that Bad" Dalton posts. :lol:
At least my novels have sense. :lol:

The debate should not be Dalton v Burrow, but Burrow v trading down for Tua and picks. Much will depend on how confident we are with his hip, but if he shows enough evidence to show he'll make a full recovery, then it makes the draft more interesting.

MeatHeadbengal

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:31 am

Mag wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:28 am
stripesincarolina wrote:
Hey, if we all have to read Mag's pre-draft novels (which are a good read by the way) then you guys have to endure my Andy "Aint that Bad" Dalton posts. :lol:

The debate should not be Dalton v Burrow, but Burrow v trading down for Tua and picks. Much will depend on how confident we are with his hip, but if he shows enough evidence to show he'll make a full recovery, then it makes the draft more interesting.
No offense but why on earth would we trade down for Tua? Seriously? Lay off the heavy medication!

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:40 am

MeatHeadbengal wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:31 am
No offense but why on earth would we trade down for Tua? Seriously? Lay off the heavy medication!
+1

Mag

Post by Mag » Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:30 am

MeatHeadbengal wrote:
Mag wrote:
stripesincarolina wrote:

Before the injury, he was the consensus top prospect. If he shows he's on the mend, he should still be in the conversation. Now I do think Burrow surpassed him, even without the injury, and I think he should be the pick. That all being said, any trade scenario before without Tua was unthinkable. Yes you'd increase your chances if more decent players, but you'd likely leave the draft without a QB. Now, say Miami offers 3 first round picks and you are confident you'd at least land a Tua that you expect to be healthy? Then it's a conversation worth having.

With no trade:
1. Burrow
2. OL - As of now no LB is rated a 2nd rd pick. Simmons and Murray are first rounders.
3. Troy Dye LB Oregon.

Not a bad haul, I'm sure we can all live with that.

With a trade:

1. Tua
1. Wirf OL Iowa
1. Murray LB Oklahoma
2. AJ Terrell CB Clemson
3. Devanta Smith WR bama

See? Interesting conversation.

Granted, we need to see if Tua checks out. He has a lot to prove.

MeatHeadbengal

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:36 pm

Mag wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:30 am
MeatHeadbengal wrote:
Mag wrote:

Before the injury, he was the consensus top prospect. If he shows he's on the mend, he should still be in the conversation. Now I do think Burrow surpassed him, even without the injury, and I think he should be the pick. That all being said, any trade scenario before without Tua was unthinkable. Yes you'd increase your chances if more decent players, but you'd likely leave the draft without a QB. Now, say Miami offers 3 first round picks and you are confident you'd at least land a Tua that you expect to be healthy? Then it's a conversation worth having.

With no trade:
1. Burrow
2. OL - As of now no LB is rated a 2nd rd pick. Simmons and Murray are first rounders.
3. Troy Dye LB Oregon.

Not a bad haul, I'm sure we can all live with that.

With a trade:

1. Tua
1. Wirf OL Iowa
1. Murray LB Oklahoma
2. AJ Terrell CB Clemson
3. Devanta Smith WR bama

See? Interesting conversation.

Granted, we need to see if Tua checks out. He has a lot to prove.
This is me personally but Tua just never really impressed me. Even in a trade I'd say no.

MeatHeadbengal

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:36 pm

Good news though Taylor will get a good look at some of these guys as the Coach for the Senior bowl.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:12 pm

The last thing this club needs is another player that was injured in college.... :roll:

Exile

Post by Exile » Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:26 pm

Catching up with the posts here, I'm pretty firmly aligned with stripes, and I think the thing to emphasize is we need more pieces around WHOEVER the QB is. Joe Burrow isn't fixing all of our problems. We need a good draft and good moves in FA. Keeping Dalton at least theoretically makes it easier to build around HIM than it would be to build around Burrow, based on the value of the #1 pick vs whatever we can get for Andy.

All that said, I do think we'll be drafting Joe B (the other one), I do think he's got a ton of potential, and I just hope we don't flush it down the toilet by failing to build the rest of the team.

Also, I'm not buying Tua. First, I think he was overrated before the injury (good but not great), and the injury just makes everything about drafting him too dicey, because we'd either draft him too early or we'd be hoping and praying that he falls to a spot where the value makes sense, which becomes impossible to plan around.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:26 pm

Tua's got "another injured Bengal first round pick" written all over him.

If he's drafted by the Dolphins or Chargers he'll be a Super Bowl QB. If he's taken by the Bengals he'll dislocate his hip faster than jmble on a ski slope!

Mag

Post by Mag » Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:31 pm

Bengals1 wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:12 pm
The last thing this club needs is another player that was injured in college.... :roll:
Price and Williams were never injured in college.