Post by orange_black » Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:19 am

MeatHeadbengal wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:14 am
orange_black wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:58 am
https://twitter.com/Kmalbanese/status/1 ... 7753331712

I"ll say it again.

this team is better than even WE know.
Sadly until these grades translate into wins it's hard to make that argument.
I totally get what you're saying.....

but i cant help but think.... that Burrow has FOUR games under his belt.... and THIS is where we are!!!!!

This dude is legit.

Jmble

Re: 1-2-1 How good are we?

Post by Jmble » Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:21 am

I know I'm the one here supplying most of the grades, but the problem with team grades is that you can have a bunch of highly graded players and a few bad apples can still contribute to losses. I do think we have some very good players on this team who can win football games. The problem is we still have enough players on this team that do badly enough that it can be very hard for the good players to overcome.

The only hope (and yes B1 I know, I've followed this team for years too) is that we continue to weed out these players and replace them with decent players.

If we found some help on the Offensive Line and the Linebacker position, we could be a playoff team. Obviously that help isn't coming this year, but I'm as optimistic as a Bengal fan can truly be right now about the future. The only question is how optimistic can a Bengals fan truly be? (It's Rhetorical B)

MeatHeadbengal

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:39 am

Jmble wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:21 am
I know I'm the one here supplying most of the grades, but the problem with team grades is that you can have a bunch of highly graded players and a few bad apples can still contribute to losses. I do think we have some very good players on this team who can win football games. The problem is we still have enough players on this team that do badly enough that it can be very hard for the good players to overcome.

The only hope (and yes B1 I know, I've followed this team for years too) is that we continue to weed out these players and replace them with decent players.

If we found some help on the Offensive Line and the Linebacker position, we could be a playoff team. Obviously that help isn't coming this year, but I'm as optimistic as a Bengal fan can truly be right now about the future. The only question is how optimistic can a Bengals fan truly be? (It's Rhetorical B)
We all have seen this team over the years and we all know we've put it together times and have just had horrible luck. Palmer's knee injury, Dalton's thumb, both come to mind, those two teams were serious contenders. With that said yes our offense is a few O-lineman away from being very good, but our DEFENSE is horrible. We need a lot of help on that side of the ball and just getting Geno back isn't going to solve it. Our defense looked almost as bad as the allas Cowboys, cause there's NO D in DALLAS!

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:54 am

Identifying the problem is easy, everyone and their cat can see we need a new RT and a new RG. Me

The problem is that this team has a dismal history of allowing personnel problems to linger on for years if not decades.

We've already chronicled our sad efforts to find a decent pass catching TE. A problem that was never really solved. The Linebacking is finally showing signs of improvement after nearly two decades of comical efforts to find someone.... anyone who could play there.

It's just not realistic to believe this team will do anything aggressive to solve the problem this season. Making a dramatic trade for a new player mid-season is just not the Bengal way.

Will they target a free agent in the off-season or make a new Tackle a priority in next year's draft....? Or will they let the problem linger as we've seen them do so often recently....?

Who really knows....

orange_black

Post by orange_black » Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:53 pm

I dunno... Uzomah was doing good before the injury and.... Sample appears to be filling in just fine.

I don't think TE is a problem right now.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:58 pm

orange_black wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:53 pm
I dunno... Uzomah was doing good before the injury and.... Sample appears to be filling in just fine.

I'd say its behind O-line and LB. But I wouldn't want to go into the Play-Offs with Uzi and "Junior" Samples.... :?

MeatHeadbengal

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:25 pm

Bengals1 wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:58 pm
orange_black wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:53 pm

I'd say its behind O-line and LB. But I wouldn't want to go into the Play-Offs with Uzi and "Junior" Samples.... :?
I'm sorry but Uzi was looking pretty good before the injury, and a reliable target for Burrow. Sample is showing some serious potential in Sunday's game. He made some big plays, and graded out pretty high considering the INT/TD he allowed but should have had. Jury is still out on Sample.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:46 pm

MeatHeadbengal wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:25 pm
Sample is showing some serious potential in Sunday's game. He made some big plays, and graded out pretty high considering the INT/TD he allowed but should have had. Jury is still out on Sample.
One semi-decent game against one of the worst teams in the league is hardly telling. That's the kind of logic this teams used to avoid addressing their problems for years

The juries still out indeed....

MeatHeadbengal

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:33 pm

Bengals1 wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:46 pm
MeatHeadbengal wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:25 pm
Sample is showing some serious potential in Sunday's game. He made some big plays, and graded out pretty high considering the INT/TD he allowed but should have had. Jury is still out on Sample.
One semi-decent game against one of the worst teams in the league is hardly telling. That's the kind of logic this teams used to avoid addressing their problems for years

The juries still out indeed....
Insisting he isn't the answer with little to no basis to go off of isn't the answer either! Relax O'negative1 give him a few more game before you just pass judgement.

stripesincarolina

Post by stripesincarolina » Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:52 pm

B1, bad argument man! You say you wouldnt go into the playoffs with Uzi or Junior. If we're in the playoffs this year I wouldnt care if Gumby was our TE!!

But I agree with Meat. Uzi was looking great this year and he had something going with Burrow. I think Junior will continue to improve.
Seeking Superbowls