Cats vs Chargers Game Day Thread.

Let's talk Cincinnati Bengals football!
orange_black

Re: Cats vs Chargers Game Day Thread.

Post by orange_black » Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:33 pm

After seeing that game and the recent history I'm about ready to trade green.

Bullock looking like rackers out there on clutch kicks....

Burrow did fine for his first game. Only one bad play I can think of.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:33 pm

You really don't have to be psychic to see that coming. Good teams find a way to win and bad teams find a way to lose. The Bungles are not yet a good team.

Adding Burrow is a start but it's just that....a start. One player plus a handful of Free Agents wasn't going to turn this team around in one off-season.

They did little to nothing to shore up the weakest spot on the team; the O-line. We all saw it. Hell, Stevie Wonder saw it!

They'll get better.... slowly. I said 5-11 before the season started and I'll stick with that.

Joe Bananas

Post by Joe Bananas » Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:52 pm

Sample with 1 target. Thats unexcusible for a second rounder. All we heard was auden tate this and that and that fool did not only not catch a ball hell he wasn't even targeted. Not sure why. Higgins stat line, 0-0 , i think dean wermer told bulishi that in animal house.
I was crazy back when being crazy really meant something.

stripesincarolina

Post by stripesincarolina » Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:29 pm

JB, you nailed it. No idea why Higgins and Tate werent targeted. And I mentioned during the game that Sample wasnt even blocking and CJ was getting the snaps. I need to see the stat line to confirm that though.

Just didnt like the play calls, but I'm sure Zac was responding to what we saw from the line. Hart sucks!!!
Seeking Superbowls

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:42 pm

stripesincarolina wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:29 pm
Hart sucks!!!
A good team. A team that cared about winning now. Would make a trade to get a better Right Tackle. I bet a 3rd rounder would pry some 2nd stringer who's better than Hart that's sitting on some teams bench right now.

But we're the Bengals and we don't make deals like that... :roll:

Mag

Post by Mag » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:19 am

MeatHeadbengal wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:24 pm
Joe Burrow did his job, we scored a TD late to seal that win but it was called back. I'm not happy with the ending at all but I'm happy seeing the kind of poise Burrow had. We'll be starting off 0-2 cause there's not way this offense does any better against Cleveland on a short week.
Agree. The kid looked really good especially at the end. Think about this, our rookie QB with hardly any off season or preseason, no wristband with plays on it, and a shitty OL was given one last drive with a little over 2 mins and no time outs trailing by 3. In spite of the predictable penalty by Hart, penalty and dropped pass by Ross, he drove the team 62 yards and scored. Of course Green had a ticky tac penalty, but that drive was impressive. Burrow had complete command of the offense, getting the call out quick, getting the team lined up quickly and properly between plays.

I also liked that Burrow had a clear and loud cadence and was not shy about long counts. This kept the D from teeing off too often. It always seemed Dalton used the same snap count, allowing defenses to just pin their ears back. He also did a great job selling play action, which Dalton didn't do often enough.

The dipshit shovel pass was a dumb rookie mistake. He tried to make a play at a time he simply needed to manage the clock.

There is a lot to build upon. The loss sucks, but I expect great things from Burrow.

Exile

Post by Exile » Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:27 am

Mag wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:19 am
MeatHeadbengal wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:24 pm
Joe Burrow did his job, we scored a TD late to seal that win but it was called back. I'm not happy with the ending at all but I'm happy seeing the kind of poise Burrow had. We'll be starting off 0-2 cause there's not way this offense does any better against Cleveland on a short week.
Agree. The kid looked really good especially at the end. Think about this, our rookie QB with hardly any off season or preseason, no wristband with plays on it, and a shitty OL was given one last drive with a little over 2 mins and no time outs trailing by 3. In spite of the predictable penalty by Hart, penalty and dropped pass by Ross, he drove the team 62 yards and scored. Of course Green had a ticky tac penalty, but that drive was impressive. Burrow had complete command of the offense, getting the call out quick, getting the team lined up quickly and properly between plays.

I also liked that Burrow had a clear and loud cadence and was not shy about long counts. This kept the D from teeing off too often. It always seemed Dalton used the same snap count, allowing defenses to just pin their ears back. He also did a great job selling play action, which Dalton didn't do often enough.

The dipshit shovel pass was a dumb rookie mistake. He tried to make a play at a time he simply needed to manage the clock.

There is a lot to build upon. The loss sucks, but I expect great things from Burrow.
+1

Give this kid one good right tackle and the sky's the limit. Did anyone hear anything definite about his first touchdown--was that a called play or did he see the hole in the defense and call his own number? I would love to think it's the latter. And nice job Trey Hopkins to get on their safety.

A couple more things about this game, after some reflection:

1) speaking of linemen, Jonah Williams had a nice debut. Obviously Joey Bosa was too busy abusing Bobby Hart to come test our young left tackle, but their other DE is no slouch either, and he held up really well. Like Burrow, he should only get better as the season goes on and he gets more experience.

2) Defense held up surprisingly well... until they didn't. Take Reader out for the end of the game, knock out our most solid linebacker, and the Chargers moved the ball better, but the defense--and especially the linebackers and cornerbacks not named William Jackson--were better than expected. But they need to get better and there doesn't look to be a ton of depth.

orange_black

Post by orange_black » Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:01 am

i read somehwere (twitter?) that the QB draw TD was burrows call...

MeatHeadbengal

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:31 am

orange_black wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:01 am
i read somehwere (twitter?) that the QB draw TD was burrows call...
I listened to the press conference after and it sounded like the Draw was a Burrow audible. He saw no one in the box and changed to it, that's a great call. However he missed 2 throws one to Ross, and one to Green deep balls that should have been TD's. I think that's partly because a lack of pre-season, however this offense needs to get way better. I liked what I saw out of Thomas, Green, and Boyd but we need to get more ppl involved!

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:30 am

Trade Ross for a competent RT. Promote Higgens into the starting line-up. Either bring Nugent back or bring in 2-3 guys to compete for Bullocks job.

Find a pass-catching TE for this kid to throw to while you're at it

There, problems solved.