Cats vs Chargers Game Day Thread.

Let's talk Cincinnati Bengals football!
MeatHeadbengal

Re: Cats vs Chargers Game Day Thread.

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:05 pm

Bengals1 wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:30 am
Trade Ross for a competent RT. Promote Higgens into the starting line-up. Either bring Nugent back or bring in 2-3 guys to compete for Bullocks job.

Find a pass-catching TE for this kid to throw to while you're at it

There, problems solved.
(20 receptions 715 yards and 10 touchdowns) in just 6 games, that's Ross's stat line in the last 6 games. This is a big prove it year for Mr. Ross but he could be very good. Don't jump on the trade him bandwagon just yet.

stripesincarolina

Post by stripesincarolina » Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:09 pm

Bengals1 wrote:
Trade Ross for a competent RT. Promote Higgens into the starting line-up. Either bring Nugent back or bring in 2-3 guys to compete for Bullocks job.

There, problems solved.
Agree with all of this B except the pass catching TE. Uzamah has proven to be very capable. If anything ditch Sample for another TE to back up CJ.

I'm done with Ross. He's a one trick pony and hail marys and bombs only work 10% of the time, or less. I'll take a Tate / Higgins / Erickson combo all day long. No need for Ross, even if AJ goes down.
Seeking Superbowls

MeatHeadbengal

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:01 pm

stripesincarolina wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:09 pm
Bengals1 wrote:

There, problems solved.
Agree with all of this B except the pass catching TE. Uzamah has proven to be very capable. If anything ditch Sample for another TE to back up CJ.

I'm done with Ross. He's a one trick pony and hail marys and bombs only work 10% of the time, or less. I'll take a Tate / Higgins / Erickson combo all day long. No need for Ross, even if AJ goes down.
Again you guys are missing the big picture here, (20 receptions 715 yards and 10 touchdowns) in just 6 games, that's Ross's stat line in the last 6 games. You want to trade a guy that's finally healthy and producing? You wanna talk about being a bungal, you guys trade Ross and that's what you'll be. Let him prove himself this year and if he does you exercise our 5th year option. Seriously don't give up on him just yet.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:41 pm

If Ross is so good why did we spend a second round pick on another WR...?

The point is we have enough Wide Receivers to afford to dump one. You can't say that about any of the other positions on this team. Nobody's going to give up a player for a maybe player. We'd have to give up somebody another team would want.

If you want a RT and you want one now you're going to have to give up something. Ross fits the bill imo....

stripesincarolina

Post by stripesincarolina » Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:24 pm

Because he's a one trick pony and contributes very little otherwise. You're talking about stats that gloss over the real picture of dropped balls, missed games and little to no production inside of 10-15 yards. The stats you posted mean he scored a TD on every other reception and averaged 35 YPC. These are freak numbers and not sustainable. He basically came into the game and Dalton threw at him twice for bombs and he caught one.
And every other one was a TD. Yeah I get it, he scored points, but lets dive a bit deeper to find out if he is truly productive.

I'll try to dig up his full stats later today unless someone already has it.

And not to lose the original intent of this point, we have much bigger needs and there are teams out there with Olineman to spare who need a WR. This is a business need, not an indictment of Ross' performance.
Seeking Superbowls

MeatHeadbengal

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:32 pm

You two act like we are only a RT away from a championship. News flash we're a lot further away then that and it would be stupid to get rid of a player that might be a emerging star.

stripesincarolina

Post by stripesincarolina » Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:41 pm

MeatHeadbengal wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:32 pm
You two act like we are only a RT away from a championship. News flash we're a lot further away then that and it would be stupid to get rid of a player that might be a emerging star.
I would argue that we are a RT away from giving our QB an extra half second to make plays downfield.....which in turn would make Ross more productive! But trades are made to achieve these things and I happen to agree with B1 that we are knee deep in WR talent right now and Ross is some pretty good bait.

Regarding productivity, a very quick glance at 2018 between Boyd and Ross is pretty telling. Boyd had double the targets and a 70% catch rate with a 9 YPC avg. Highly productive in his 14 games and scored 7 TDs. Ross had a 36% catch rate with a 3.6 YPC avg across 13 games and 7 TDs. Quite simply he was a one trick pony.....bombs away Andy! He dropped everything underneath that would help move the chains.

One other interesting item to research would be to find out if Ross' TDs came later in games when we were trying to come back and throwing deep balls.

Regardless, we need a RT badly. Come up with a better solution and I'm all ears.
Seeking Superbowls

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:54 pm

Stripes is making all my points for me. :D

And no Meat, nobody thinks we're mearly one RT away from the promised land. However, it's clearly our biggest need and our failure to address it has already come back to haunt us.

If we continue to ignore this glaring weakness we're putting the health of our brand new franchise QB at risk. Inarguably the single most important player on the team.

I don't care if we trade Ross to some other team and he becomes a perinnial Pro Bowler and wins a Super Bowl with them. We need to shore up our crappy Offensive Line NOW. If giving Ross to the Saints or the Cowboys etc...is the price we have to pay I'm willing to pull the trigger.

MeatHeadbengal

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:56 pm

stripesincarolina wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:41 pm
MeatHeadbengal wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:32 pm
I would argue that we are a RT away from giving our QB an extra half second to make plays downfield.....which in turn would make Ross more productive! But trades are made to achieve these things and I happen to agree with B1 that we are knee deep in WR talent right now and Ross is some pretty good bait.

Regarding productivity, a very quick glance at 2018 between Boyd and Ross is pretty telling. Boyd had double the targets and a 70% catch rate with a 9 YPC avg. Highly productive in his 14 games and scored 7 TDs. Ross had a 36% catch rate with a 3.6 YPC avg across 13 games and 7 TDs. Quite simply he was a one trick pony.....bombs away Andy! He dropped everything underneath that would help move the chains.

One other interesting item to research would be to find out if Ross' TDs came later in games when we were trying to come back and throwing deep balls.

Regardless, we need a RT badly. Come up with a better solution and I'm all ears.
Joey Bosa and Ingram tee'd off on both Williams and Hart, and this is just the first game of the year. Knee jerk reactions in the beginning of the season aren't going to do us any good. We all know this team isn't going to trade for a RT, and more then likely will probably not even think it's a need and will not address it in the off-season so this is all a mute point!

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:04 pm

I wouldn't be so sure Meat. We spent a lot of money this off-season which is certainly not the norm around PBS. Surely Zac see's what we can all see and common sense demands they need to protect their investment in Burrow.

And Hart's been the weakest link on our O-line for some time now. Why they chose not to address that in the off-season is a mystery to all. If they have a chance to correct it you'd think they'd jump at it.