NFL News & Notes

Let's talk Cincinnati Bengals football!
Bengals1

Re: NFL News & Notes

Post by Bengals1 » Sun May 29, 2022 10:01 am

It's nice being the only team in the division without a QB drama.... 8-)

The Lamar Jackson mystery continues to grow
Posted by Mike Florio on May 26, 2022

The Ravens have a unique and largely unprecedented problem. And they have no idea how to solve it.

Quarterback Lamar Jackson’s long-term status with the team remains a mystery. He won’t engage the team on a contract, even though the team is ready to give him a major new deal. He insists that he doesn’t want to leave, but he’s not acting like he wants to stay.

Four weeks ago, he complained on social media about the team’s decision to trade receiver Hollywood Brown, even though Jackson knew Brown wanted out.

Now, Jackson is skipping OTAs. The Ravens are downplaying it, because they have no choice. They’ll downplay everything Jackson does or doesn’t do — until they become sufficiently exasperated with Jackson to move on from him.

Here’s the simple reality. Even though the offseason program is mandatory, OTAs are football practices that allow teams to install much of their offensive and defensive playbooks for the coming season. There’s value in having key players there, especially the quarterback.

Indeed, if the team’s assessment of Jackson’s contract posture is accurate, it’s all the more reason for Jackson to attend.

“The kid is so obsessed with winning a Super Bowl, that I think deep down, he doesn’t think he’s worthy,” owner Steve Bisciotti said in March. “I think he wants that to say, ‘Now, I deserve to be on top.'”

Fine. But to get to the top, he needs to climb. The climb happens now, during OTAs. If Jackson hopes to have a special season, the foundation for special is being laid now.

From 2018 through 2021, Jackson attended the OTAs. So why skip them now?

It’s all part of a mystery that the Ravens don’t want or need. And it underscores the existence of very real questions about whether any given year will be his last year with the team.

stripesincarolina

Post by stripesincarolina » Sun May 29, 2022 10:42 am

Agreed! For the Bengals these next few weeks are truly the quiet before our storm. But for a good chunk of the league their offseason storms this year are quite a reminder of the Bengals of the past. I also like how the pundits are completely overlooking us again. I dont want to be the favorite. I just want to rack up 500 yards on the Browns, Stoolers and Ravens......and the Chiefs, Bucs, Cowboys, Pats and Fins. :twisted:
Seeking Superbowls

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Sun May 29, 2022 10:53 am

Yeah, I prefer the role of undercat as well. Let 'em think last year was just a fluke....

4256 Hits

Post by 4256 Hits » Sun May 29, 2022 4:41 pm

I for one hope they give Jackson a huge contract that will kill their salary cap on a mediocre QB like Flacco did for all those years.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Fri Jun 17, 2022 7:43 pm

MarkMaske @MarkMaske
From our story... A source on Deshaun Watson’s side of the case said the NFL “probably” will seek a suspension of a full season. The NFL plans to argue to new disciplinary officer Sue L. Robinson for a “significant” suspension of Deshaun Watson for violating the personal conduct policy, multiple sources say. The NFL hopes to have the entire disciplinary process, including any potential appeal to Commissioner Roger Goodell or his designee, resolved by the start of training camp. The initial disciplinary ruling is to be made by Robinson under the current version of the conduct policy. The NFL could seek to impose a fine on Watson in additional to any lost salary from an unpaid suspension. The league also could leave open the possibility of further discipline if new information is uncovered in the future.

stripesincarolina

Post by stripesincarolina » Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:28 am

PFT says Ogunjobi is meeting with the Stoolers. If he has improved his health, I would hate to see that happen. We need him back in the rotation.
Seeking Superbowls

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:29 pm

Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter
Former Bengals’ DT Larry Ogunjobi has signed a one-year deal with the Pittsburgh Steelers, per source.
Ogunjobi now will have played for the Browns, Bengals and Steelers, leaving the Ravens as the lone Ogunjobi-less AFC North team.

stripesincarolina

Post by stripesincarolina » Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:04 pm

Bengals1 wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:29 pm
Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter
Former Bengals’ DT Larry Ogunjobi has signed a one-year deal with the Pittsburgh Steelers, per source.
Ogunjobi now will have played for the Browns, Bengals and Steelers, leaving the Ravens as the lone Ogunjobi-less AFC North team.
Hope that doesnt come back to bite us. Stoolers needed help on the cheap and they got it. If Larry is healthy he could lead that rotation in Pitt with little Watt.

That takes a potential signing off our radar, and hopefully that brings us back to looking at Reiff on a one year deal. We just need some quality depth on both lines. I dont give a shit about OBJ. Get Bates under a contract or risk a sit-out. He's earned the money even though we may not like the market price. Somebody will pay him.
Seeking Superbowls

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:29 am

Ian Rapoport @RapSheet
Terrible news: #Ravens LB Jaylon Ferguson has died at just 26 years old.

Statement from agent Safarrah Lawson:

“It’s with great sadness that we announce the passing of Baltimore Ravens LB Jaylon Ferguson. The family asks for your prayers and privacy during this trying time.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Wed Jun 22, 2022 5:55 pm

Former Colts and Ravens DT Tony Siragusa dead at 55...

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/tony ... baltimore/

Famously turned down the Bengals after he left the Colts and became a free agent because SoP initially refused to purchase him a plane ticket to come work out. After Tony called him out in the media SoP reluctantly agreed to buy him a ticket.....in coach. :lol:

Siagusa promptly told the Bengals where to stick it and signed instead with the Ravens.

Good times :roll: