Dalton contract update

Let's talk Cincinnati Bengals football!
stripesincarolina

Dalton contract update

Post by stripesincarolina » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:42 pm

PFT has an article up quoting Mike Brown. Says Dalton wont be re-upped before or during the season and he needs to prove himself under Zacs system before a decision would be made next year. At $16mm for his services we have a steal if he can find a way to stay healthy and get to the playoffs. But I think without a shadow of doubt that next year we draft a QB. What worries me greatly is that Mikey panics and tells Zac to go get his QB this year. We simply cant afford to waste a 1st or 2nd rounder on a QB this year.
Seeking Superbowls

orange_black

Re: Dalton contract update

Post by orange_black » Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:16 pm

i saw this this morning... and honestly... i was shocked....

it's like mikey to say a player has to "prove" themselves ......

especially talking about Dalton.... i honestly think he has played fine (minus playoff games)..... and there are bigger issues on this team to fix before QB.

that being said... i am also a firm believer that only elite QBs win superbowls (mostly)..... Dalton is not that

Exile

Re: Dalton contract update

Post by Exile » Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:33 pm

Not at all surprised. Marvin was pretty loyal to Andy, but the new coach will get to decide whether to keep him long-term or not. Andy has been an above-average QB who sometimes looks elite and sometimes looks absolutely terrible. There's an element of "prove it" in this, but there's also an even bigger element of fit. How does he fit into the new offense, how well does he fit with the new coaches?

As for drafting a QB this year, I'd rather we didn't in the 1st or 2nd, because I think we have much bigger needs than QB, but I guess I'm more concerned about them reaching for a QB just to take a QB.