UPDATED TITLE: We hired a DC

Let's talk Cincinnati Bengals football!
orange_black

Re: Another DC candidate turns us down (and another)

Post by orange_black » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:54 am

skycruiser wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:26 am
we're going to end up with bob bratkowski as our DC!
and i just frew up in my mouth

Jmble

Post by Jmble » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:43 pm

orange_black wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:54 am
skycruiser wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:26 am
we're going to end up with bob bratkowski as our DC!
and i just frew up in my mouth
I think you are underestimating Bob Bratkowski's ability to stop offenses from moving the ball.

Mag

Post by Mag » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:45 pm

Someone named Lou Anaruma (current DB coach of the giants) is being interviewed. Served as DB coach under Coyle in Miami and took over his role when fired.

I'm not happy with it, but he seems like the front runner. I just want the team to have a staff mostly completed by the combine.

Having worked for Coyle makes me feel somewhat encouraged. Some principles and verbiage of his system should translate well to our current players. Should continue to run a 4-3 too.

Aceking
Site Admin

Post by Aceking » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:56 pm

Daugherty's not happy:

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports ... 926482002/
Uh, what is the deal with the Cincinnati Bengals' search for a defensive coordinator, and how might it reflect on the new head coach?

It’s getting close to Combine time. Player evaluations are ongoing. You’d like to have a full staff up and running, so as to imbue each member with that culture and philosophy you spoke so much about at your initial press conference.
There is a chance that this time next year, I will be eating, er, disavowing everything posted here. Until then, I’m skeptical as hell. Until the crystal ball resumes working properly, I can only go with what’s right in front of me. The view is not yet scintillating.

stripesincarolina

Post by stripesincarolina » Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:23 pm

I think it is likely to say that the next 2-3 years will feature a constant churn of the coaching staff and roster until the dust can settle and Zac can call the team his own. We all know that SoP is loyal to a fault so as long as Zac is keeping the Browns happy, he'll stay. They weathered a few bad years with Marvin and I wouldn't expect anything less for Zac.

I think we all are a bit shell shocked that nobody has stepped up from even the college ranks and said "hell yeah, I would love to have that job". There's only 32 of them to go around and it is a stepping stone to a head coaching gig. There should be a list a mile long of interviews.
AJ McCarron = Superbowl Wins

orange_black

Post by orange_black » Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:14 pm

stripesincarolina wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:23 pm
I think it is likely to say that the next 2-3 years will feature a constant churn of the coaching staff and roster until the dust can settle and Zac can call the team his own. We all know that SoP is loyal to a fault so as long as Zac is keeping the Browns happy, he'll stay. They weathered a few bad years with Marvin and I wouldn't expect anything less for Zac.

I think we all are a bit shell shocked that nobody has stepped up from even the college ranks and said "hell yeah, I would love to have that job". There's only 32 of them to go around and it is a stepping stone to a head coaching gig. There should be a list a mile long of interviews.
this is what scares the crap out of me.... At least marvin never seemed to have issues filling coaching vacancies....

Can we bring back David Shula?

stripesincarolina

Post by stripesincarolina » Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:30 pm

In fairness to Zac, Marvin had a deep network from years of coaching. Zac has a growing network, but he's still like 35 years old. His list just isnt that long. And you should as hell cant count on Mike Brown recruiting for you.

This is the risk we take going young.
AJ McCarron = Superbowl Wins

Mag

Post by Mag » Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:56 am

stripesincarolina wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:30 pm
In fairness to Zac, Marvin had a deep network from years of coaching. Zac has a growing network, but he's still like 35 years old. His list just isnt that long. And you should as hell cant count on Mike Brown recruiting for you.

If that is the case, he should either have never been hired, or the team should have done the hiring for him.

There is some conventional wisdom that a head coach should be allowed to hire his entire staff. On the other hand, when a coach is young, there is plenty of precedent where the team determines the staff. Number one is the Steelers when they hired Tomlin. Tomlin was the HC, but he had no say over the defensive staff. Considering Tomlin was a defensive coach, that was telling.

My biggest concern of Taylor is that he seems unprepared. He is 3 weeks into having the job and days away from the combine and he has no defensive staff (other than 2 holdovers from the previous staff). What staff he has hired are either inexperienced, have a history of mediocrity, or a history of poor character. Taylor himself has had mediocre success from college to now. His best work is the last couple years with the Rams. I'm not all that confident that success had anything to do with him.

Jmble

Post by Jmble » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:46 am

Mag wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:56 am
stripesincarolina wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:30 pm

If that is the case, he should either have never been hired, or the team should have done the hiring for him.

There is some conventional wisdom that a head coach should be allowed to hire his entire staff. On the other hand, when a coach is young, there is plenty of precedent where the team determines the staff. Number one is the Steelers when they hired Tomlin. Tomlin was the HC, but he had no say over the defensive staff. Considering Tomlin was a defensive coach, that was telling.

My biggest concern of Taylor is that he seems unprepared. He is 3 weeks into having the job and days away from the combine and he has no defensive staff (other than 2 holdovers from the previous staff). What staff he has hired are either inexperienced, have a history of mediocrity, or a history of poor character. Taylor himself has had mediocre success from college to now. His best work is the last couple years with the Rams. I'm not all that confident that success had anything to do with him.
Now Mag, you know darn well everybody on this board would be pissed off if the team had done the hiring for Taylor. There's not one person here or anywhere else who's a Bengals fan who didn't want Taylor to be allowed to bring in his own people. It hasn't worked out the way we would have liked, but we would have complained just as badly the other way.

Aceking
Site Admin

Post by Aceking » Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:50 pm

It appears our national nightmare is over...

https://mobile.twitter.com/TomPelissero ... 5214503936

The #Bengals are hiring Lou Anarumo as their defensive coordinator, source said. Longtime respected college and NFL assistant knows new coach Zac Taylor well from their days with the #Dolphins. Now they join forces in Cincy.