Bengals Retain Bobby Hart

Let's talk Cincinnati Bengals football!
Exile

Re: Bengals Retain Bobby Hart

Post by Exile » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:45 am

I'm willing to wait and see how it all plays out. I mean, in an ideal world, Bobby Hart is NOT a guy I'm excited to keep. I really hope we pick up somebody better, whether that's another FA or in the draft. But I'm not going to crucify the team for holding onto him, at least for now. Bobby Hart as a backup, even at $7mil/year, fine. Or he gets cut later, fine.

I guess what I'm saying is that while I don't want him as a starter, there are worse possible outcomes, so whatever. Wait and see.

skycruiser

Post by skycruiser » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:05 am

committed to mediocrity...

Jmble

Post by Jmble » Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:22 pm

If we are going to over pay to keep somebody, I'd much rather it be Dennard.

stripesincarolina

Post by stripesincarolina » Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:23 pm

Like some of us said, this deal isn't bad at all for the Bengals, and isn't bad when compared to the insane money being tossed around elsewhere.

The deal is 3 years for a 24 year old starting RT so we are getting his best years.....however good or bad they may be. The deal is in the Bengals favor should they decide to cut him this year or next. $7.4mm year one, $5.5mm years 2 and 3. Minimal cap impact if they cut him. I think this is certainly a low risk win / win deal for both parties. He plays well he stays and gets paid. He sucks he gets cut and we draft his replacement or make a trade down the line somewhere.

Given the option of drafting an unknown I think this will turn out to be the best move, although some may call it the lesser of two evils.
Seeking Superbowls

stripesincarolina

Post by stripesincarolina » Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:24 pm

Jmble wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:22 pm
If we are going to over pay to keep somebody, I'd much rather it be Dennard.
i think we continue the trend of drafting starting CBs in Rounds 1/2. We have had such shitty luck with OLmen lately.
Seeking Superbowls

Aceking
Site Admin

Post by Aceking » Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:52 pm

A good break down from Dehner:
It’s not actually, $21 million. That’s if all bonuses and escalators are hit. The base of it is three years and $16.5 million.

The contract comes also comes with outs. You can break it down as one year and $7.4 million. After the 2019 season, the Bengals could, theoretically, bail on the contract and only take on $2 million in dead money.

That’s still probably a move the Bengals wouldn’t want to make. The more likely out point they would utilize would come after the second year where they would only take on $1 million in dead money while saving $4.9 million against the cap.

The idea of two years and $11.4 million sounds much less gaudy compared to the original reports. That falls more in line with most near the middle of the right tackle salary rankings. Below most on second deals, but above those on cheap, rookie contracts. The Bengals needed somebody.
https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports ... 140892002/

skycruiser

Post by skycruiser » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:25 am

stripesincarolina wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:23 pm
Like some of us said, this deal isn't bad at all for the Bengals, and isn't bad when compared to the insane money being tossed around elsewhere.

The deal is 3 years for a 24 year old starting RT so we are getting his best years.....however good or bad they may be. The deal is in the Bengals favor should they decide to cut him this year or next. $7.4mm year one, $5.5mm years 2 and 3. Minimal cap impact if they cut him. I think this is certainly a low risk win / win deal for both parties. He plays well he stays and gets paid. He sucks he gets cut and we draft his replacement or make a trade down the line somewhere.

Given the option of drafting an unknown I think this will turn out to be the best move, although some may call it the lesser of two evils.
you forgot the part about him being the worst RT in the league