Bengals Retain Bobby Hart

Let's talk Cincinnati Bengals football!
Jmble

Bengals Retain Bobby Hart

Post by Jmble » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:58 pm

3 years at 21 mil plus.

I don't get that one at all. That's some serious money for a guy who seemed like he didn't get the job done last year.

stripesincarolina

Re: Bengals Retain Bobby Hart

Post by stripesincarolina » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:19 pm

They don't have a choice. There is no depth there already. And you can't count on finding a better FA or drafting a starter. Still being punished by the sins of Marvco.
AJ McCarron = Superbowl Wins

Mag

Post by Mag » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:30 pm

stripesincarolina wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:19 pm
They don't have a choice. There is no depth there already. And you can't count on finding a better FA or drafting a starter. Still being punished by the sins of Marvco.
They have a choice. There are OTs out there that are at least as good, but can be had for way cheaper. This is an asinine move. $7mil per???? :roll:

Jmble

Post by Jmble » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:33 pm

I want to know who they were bidding against? There couldn't possibly be a team offering that kind of money to him.

stripesincarolina

Post by stripesincarolina » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:46 pm

Mag, not so sure. Keep in mind this is the known commodity vs the unknown opportunity. While Hart is definitely no Zeitler, Z probably just set the market with his move to the Giants at $10mil, $10mil and $12mil his next 3 years. So I really doubt the going rate for starting RGs is substantially less than $7mil per year.

I'm not saying they couldn't find someone cheaper. But he knows the system, will certainly have more help coming, and there are no guarantees they can find an instant replacement.

Jmble

Post by Jmble » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:51 pm

stripesincarolina wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:46 pm
Mag, not so sure. Keep in mind this is the known commodity vs the unknown opportunity. While Hart is definitely no Zeitler, Z probably just set the market with his move to the Giants at $10mil, $10mil and $12mil his next 3 years. So I really doubt the going rate for starting RGs is substantially less than $7mil per year.

I'm not saying they couldn't find someone cheaper. But he knows the system, will certainly have more help coming, and there are no guarantees they can find an instant replacement.
Knows the system? Do the coaches even know the system yet? New Head Coach, New Offensive Coordinator, New Offensive Line Coach.

They kept him because Jim Turner seems to really like the guy. From Cincinnati.com
Pro Football Focus graded Hart as the 54th overall tackle out of 61 qualifiers. He committed 11 penalties, tied for sixth most in the same group. PFF also ranked him 49th out of 58 qualifying tackles in pass blocking efficiency. He allowed 39 pressures and 10 sacks. The 10 sacks were tied for third-most.
Still, this offseason new offensive line coach Jim Turner expressed enthusiasm for what he witnessed when analyzing the play of Hart upon taking the job in Cincinnati.
"I thought he did a great job," Turner said. "I thought he was phenomenal. I know he gave up some sacks and pressures and all this other business, but if you really watch him play, he played with passion and I thought he played well. I just like what he brought to the table as far as energy is concerned. I think he's an athlete and I think he's a good player, a good, solid player."
Stacking all the right tackle contracts, Hart's $7 million per would rank as the ninth-largest contract for a right tackle in the NFL at this point.

stripesincarolina

Post by stripesincarolina » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:05 pm

WTF was I thinking...?? I honed in on RG, not RT. So toss out the Zeitler comparison.

So Jmble posted the key numbers, 9th largest contract for a RT at this point.

Zac said they will bring some new wrinkles but that they intended to keep the core of the system that Andy knows well. Work on getting the ball out quicker to Mix and Gio. All of that should help Bobby and the entire line.

So maybe they overpaid a bit. i still think continuity vs blowing up the line again will pay dividends. We are still trying to unload to shitty OL picks this week. Can't wait to see who is willing to take Oogie.

Mag

Post by Mag » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:08 pm

Hart is the 2nd coming of Rod Jones. Told ya we're going back to the 90s. Someone find me some flannel. :lol:

stripesincarolina

Post by stripesincarolina » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:25 pm

Plagiarism notice.....

"Salary cap is doing nothing but going up exponentially. 7 mil a year is nothing anymore for a serviceable tackle. Trent Brown just got 16.5 mil a year. Again I repeat Trent Brown just got 16.5 mil a year. We are talking about a guy with one good year of football. Regardless if he ends up being a great tackle or not that is the going rate. With Hart they saw a guy who was young decent enough to lock up for small period of time who will probably only get better. If people haven’t noticed alot of teams need starting OT’s. Having him be a backup still wouldn’t be the end of the world. I’m not a big fan of this move but I can understand the reasoning behind it. This contract isn’t a team killer by any means. Probably also trying to hedge themselves in the draft. I still won’t be surprised if they take a tackle early."

And if the contract has little or no guaranteed money, he can easily be cut in camp if they can pick up a better option in the draft.

This pretty much sums up where my head is at. You just can't let Hart walk when you are still likely to lose Oogie and Fisher. Too many holes to fill. I DONT like the fact that he is making more than Boling now.

Andysbigfateyebrows

Post by Andysbigfateyebrows » Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:21 pm

The problem with your logic is that Hart is NOT serviceable. He’s ranked at the bottom of this list for both pass blocking and run blocking. He’s ranked third worst is sacks given up. You’re telling me we couldn’t upgrade from the bottom of the list. That’s bad.