AB to Oakland (and a look at the Steelers)

Let's talk Cincinnati Bengals football!
Aceking
Site Admin

AB to Oakland (and a look at the Steelers)

Post by Aceking » Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:54 pm

This was a really interesting article from Bill Barnwell. Particularly about how the Steelers structure contracts differently than everyone else and how it's starting to cost them their best players. We all know how frustrating Brown can be, but he doesn't have a monopoly on cheap, stubborn thinking.

The highlights:
I'm not sure there has been a swap like this in recent memory, in which a superstar player on a veteran deal was dealt away in the prime of his career without offering his team any sort of salary-cap savings.
Instead, the Steelers have a policy of guaranteeing only the bonuses in the first year of their deals. Cameron Heyward's deal has $15 million guaranteed, with a $12 million signing bonus and a $3 million roster bonus paid in Year 1, but nothing else afterward. Elite guard David DeCastro has a $16 million guarantee, all of which is in his signing bonus. Even Roethlisberger's most recent extension consists of a $31 million signing bonus with no other guarantees, although the veteran quarterback did get partial guarantees for injury only in Years 2 and 3.
It's one of the same reasons why they weren't able to come to terms with Le'Veon Bell, who says the Steelers offered him only $17 million guaranteed as part of a five-year, $70 million deal. That contractual policy is going to cost the team both of its star weapons in the same offseason, and its cap philosophy is going to make it feel the pain of that decision in one of the final seasons of Roethlisberger's career.
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2618 ... aiders-won

TheBurn

Re: AB to Oakland (and a look at the Steelers)

Post by TheBurn » Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:18 pm

ouch. seems to me as if the squeelers are in for rough season and i am not sold on LJ for the Ravens...
could the friggin Browns really be the cream of the AFCN crop? :shock: :o

Andysbigfateyebrows

Post by Andysbigfateyebrows » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:02 pm

TheBurn wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:18 pm
ouch. seems to me as if the squeelers are in for rough season and i am not sold on LJ for the Ravens...
LJ = Lebron James? To play TE maybe?

orange_black

Post by orange_black » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:08 pm

as far as watching the stoolers and ravens die.... im all for it....

i am confident we will be able to deal with the stainz.

TheBurn

Post by TheBurn » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:55 pm

Andysbigfateyebrows wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:02 pm
TheBurn wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:18 pm
LJ = Lebron James? To play TE maybe?
:lol: touché