Mag's Mock Post Combine

Let's talk Cincinnati Bengals football!
Mag

Mag's Mock Post Combine

Post by Mag » Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:40 pm

1. AZ- Kyler Murray QB IU
Seems to be the pick for now.

2. TB- Dwayne Haskins QB OSU
There's going to be a weird run on QBs. While this will be one of the weakest drafts, there will be big moves made for QBs. Arians is the new coach and Haskins is a Ben Roethlisberger clone (without the raping). Trade compensation NA.

3. NYJ- DK Metcalf WR Ole Miss
This is high for Mercalf so far, but his combined was bonkers. The Jets have a young QB and could use a top WR for him.

4. RAIDERS- Quinen Williams DT Bama
Thought about Bosa here, but with PG as DC, he gets his Geno Atkins.

5. SF- Nick Bosa DE OSU
Everyone has them picking Bosa at 2, but they trade down and get him anyway.

6. NYG- Drew Lock QB Miz
Not sure if this is their guy, but QB is big need.

7. JAX- Montez Sweat MSU
Looking like they'll be signing Foles. They'll go with the big athletic DE (which Coughlin loves).

8. DET- Josh Allen Edge UK
Elite pass rusher for Patricia.

9. BUF- Rashan Gary DL UM
Best DL on the board.

10. DEN- Greedy Williams CB LSU
Roby and Brock are free agents. It will behoove them to grab a young CB next to Harris.

11. CIN- Devin White LB LSU
If the draft fell like this, we're in good shape to hit any need and get BPA. We would also be well served to trade down. We could trade down as many as 6 spots and get a top guy at either LB, OL, DL, or TE.

I personally like Bush over White. They have similar size and athleticism. Bush is likely the better, more instructive LB now, but White has a slightly bigger frame and has more upside. Fun fact about White is he loves horses. He'd be at home settling in NKY.

Aceking
Site Admin

Re: Mag's Mock Post Combine

Post by Aceking » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:39 am

Not Bengals related... but didn’t the Bucs specifically hire Arians because of his connection to Winston? I thought a prerequisite for any coach was that they had to be committed to him as the franchise QB.

Mag

Post by Mag » Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:54 am

Aceking wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:39 am
Not Bengals related... but didn’t the Bucs specifically hire Arians because of his connection to Winston? I thought a prerequisite for any coach was that they had to be committed to him as the franchise QB.
I've only heard the stories where Arians talks up Winston. Now if what you say is true, TB is the dumbest franchise on the planet.

My assumption is making Winston work is plan A, but if they feel they can upgrade the position, they will.

Mag

Post by Mag » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:09 pm

Anyway, this pick goes with the caveat that we address OL via FA. We could address LB there too, but most of the top LB talent are coming off significant injuries.

I'm thinking we go hard after JuWuan James or Daryl Williams. They'll cost us, but we have the cap space. Wr do that and we go in with Glenn, Boling, Price, (Westerman, Hopkins), James/ Williams as our starters going into the draft. I feel good about that.

So if we can get a big fish at RT, re-sign Dennard, tender Hopkins, and sign Uzomah, I'm all for getting one of the Devins at LB in Rd 1.

Pick 2
Irv Smith TE Bama- Fant and Hockenson will be first 2 TEs. Smith lacks the size and athleticism of those guys, but is a better receiver and is a solid blocker. Should be an immediate difference maker.

3. Tytus Howard OT Alabama St.
Has that big body that Turner wants. A bit raw, but could develop into a starter.

stripesincarolina

Post by stripesincarolina » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:34 pm

Mag, I want to snag a quality OL starter via FA more than anybody but I just don't see the Bengals diving into the high priced scrum for linemen given how many teams are seriously in need. Both James and Williams are the cream of the crop right now and will likely land deals between $10-$13mm a year. A bidding war could easily happen. Given history, I think I see the Bengals taking the best OL they can get at #11, trading up for a LB in the late first or second round, and looking for depth in FA for those positions.

We have the cap space, sure. But it would set a difficult precedent for resigning Boling / Price when the time comes. I also think we'll be shopping for a LT soon. I think Glenn is going to be a bust for us unless he fits in better with Zac's new scheme.
AJ McCarron = Superbowl Wins

Exile

Post by Exile » Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:44 pm

stripesincarolina wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:34 pm
Mag, I want to snag a quality OL starter via FA more than anybody but I just don't see the Bengals diving into the high priced scrum for linemen given how many teams are seriously in need. Both James and Williams are the cream of the crop right now and will likely land deals between $10-$13mm a year. A bidding war could easily happen. Given history, I think I see the Bengals taking the best OL they can get at #11, trading up for a LB in the late first or second round, and looking for depth in FA for those positions.

We have the cap space, sure. But it would set a difficult precedent for resigning Boling / Price when the time comes. I also think we'll be shopping for a LT soon. I think Glenn is going to be a bust for us unless he fits in better with Zac's new scheme.
I think you're probably right as far as the likelihood of us getting into a bidding war for FA o-linemen, but the new coaching staff gives me some sliver of hope that we could buck our own tendencies. I mean, if it's ever going to happen, it would seem to be now, with a coach who has his own convictions coming in about what's important and might be able to push ownership outside of its comfort zone. Someone not weighed down by "the way we do things." Not holding my breath, but holding out hope.